What Size Is A Trig-Point

What Size Is A Trig-Point?

Hello All
i am wondering if anyone can help me i am looking for the size or dimensions of a trig point as like the one in this link

http://www.trigpointinguk.com/photos/P44672.jpg

as i have a idea for a project but never take a tape measure along with me when i am out on summit

if anyone has this info or if they can point me in the right direction(excuse the pun) as to where i may get such details tried ordnance survey but they never got back to me

many thanks in advance

Gordon MM3XGP

In reply to MM3XGP:

Hi Gordon

I might be wrong, but I don’t think there is a standard size judging by the ones I have seen.
The only standard seems to be the three legged slots in the top of the trig where the measuring instrument would sit.

I’ll stand corrected if anyone tells us differently.

73 mike

In reply to MM3XGP:

This article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2004/10/30/ettrigpillars.xml&sSheet=/travel/2004/10/30/ixtrvhome.html

suggests that the standard size is 4ft high and 2ft square at the base, but I don’t find this totally convincing.

Note that not every trigpoint is of this design. Some are round.

In reply to M1MAJ:

This article would appear to confirm what Martin M1MAJ says.

http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac67/curatesb.htm

Mike G4BLH

In reply to M1MAJ:
The telegraph article is very good.

Not only does it give the approximate size (if you fancied making your own) but also answers the question of how they got them up there in the first place. Did they take them ready constructed or build them on the summits?

Read for yourself if you want to find out :slight_smile:

Ian

In reply to MM3XGP:

Hotine pillars, named after their designer, Martin Hotine, are all quite accurately the same size at 4ft high with a 2ft by 2ft base. Those made of local stone, like this one, http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/1130375304/ are again very close to 4ft by 2ft by 2ft. The cylindrical trig points, like this one, Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
are called Vanessa pillars and are also 4ft high and I think 1ft in diameter.

The Hotine pillars first appeared in 1936 with the Vanessa style appearing in the very late 50s and early 60s.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW0DSP:G4BLH:
G7ADF:
MM0FMF:

Hello all

first may i say sorry for the delay in getting back to this post sooner but been ill

Anyways may i thank all who have got back to me with regards the size of a trigpoint & the weblinks many thanks

so its 4ft high and 2ft sq at the base. Now i wonder what size the top is as it tapers off from 2ft sq to what size i wonder(Measure tapes now being placed in backpacks hi )

the reason iam asking is iam thinking of a small bracket style mount

many thanks in advance

Gordon MM3XGP

In reply to MM3XGP:

Hi Gordon

I’ve made myself a little widget I find to be very effective - simply a piece of 100 x 38 timber about 100 long with a notch cut in one side and a taper planed onto the other - if I remember correctly the taper is about 1 in 7 for a standard trig. The corners on the side with the notch are cut at 45 degrees.

Place the widget against the trig point about 1m up, locate the pole in the notch with bottom resting on the ground, use a small-sized ratchet strap to clamp the pole to the trig point, position it just below the widget and it will hold the pole firmly in place. Set it up on the side oppsite the direction of the wind so the wind pressure tends to push the bottom of the pole inwards.

In very windy conditions a rucksack or stone (found locally - I don’t recommend carrying your own rock up the hill) ensures the bottom of the pole stays in place.

Works a treat, sets up in seconds. Anyone want to start manufacturing it commercially? I’m open to offers for the intellectual rights to the design!

If you’re confused by the description let me know your e-mail address and I’ll send you a sketch as an attachment

Cheers

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

many thanks for your reply Paul
my email is mm3xgp(at)btinternet.com

many thanks Gordon MM3XGP

Hi Gordon,

OK, I could not resist, so I have just had a stroll with the dog up the
hill at the back of my house to the local trig point.

On this trig point which is the regulation 2ft square base, 4ft high
structure, the top square has sides of 15.5 inches. Seems a strange
dimension, but that is what it measures HI.

Regards, Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:

the top square has sides of 15.5 inches. Seems a strange
dimension, but that is what it measures HI.

That makes it very close to a 5 degree angle, so that may be the design parameter.