What determines SOTA summits?

Can anyone advise by what criteria they are chosen? - is it height, location, boundaries?

Just seems a few high-spots in the vicinity which I thought were high weren’t listed. Perhaps they have to be remote from roads and have trig points?

Just curious;-)

Steve

In reply to G0SLQ:
I think it has to be 150 feet all the way round.

Ricky MW6GWR

In reply to G0SLQ:

http://www.sota.org.uk/RulesAndGuidelines

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0SLQ:

This is covered in section 3.5 of the SOTA General Rules which can be downloaded as a pdf from the website. In the UK there has to be an ascent of at least 150 metres from the highest col (saddle) to the summit, this is known as the prominence of the summit. Some Associations in areas with few significant hills (such as the Netherlands) are allowed a prominence of 100 metres.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G0SLQ:

Can anyone advise by what criteria they are chosen? - is it height,
location, boundaries?

Hi Steve,

The topographic prominence is not so easy to understand, but is fairly rigorous criteria as far as I can see.

Note also that the x-axis in Fig. 1 is seldom a straight line in nature.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G0SLQ:
Hi Steve

In the UK I believe it is based on Alan Dawson’s book, The Relative Hills of Britain and the hills of 150m prominence are known as Marilyns.

Nick G4OOE

Thanks for the replies and the email;-) So as well as Marilyns and Munro(e)s - are there any Normas, Jeans or even Bakers I need to know about lol.

Best leave the WOTA’s well alone for the time being.

Cheers all

Steve

There are various categories of hills, check out www.hill-bagging.co.uk

Cheers
Nick