What a weekend!

I had been looking forward to the weekend of 14th March for quite some time, my son and Daughter in law had booked a weekend break in Fleetwood and invited Anne and I along to enjoy some time with them and our Grandchildren.
Even better, Anne had to work on Friday, but told me to “go play with my wireless thingy then meet us in Fleetwood Friday evening”. This was too good a chance to miss.
On the day, I had to do some last minute shopping for Anne so my original plans were altered and I would activate SP-010 then SP-002 to grab some of the last of the winter bonus points on offer.

All best made plans and that… I hadn’t even set up on SP-010 when my foot slid off a lose stone and decided to find a hole to plant itself in and gave me the normal 2 choice option that faces a “large” person ie break your leg/ankle or go with the flow and fall. I chose the latter and badly aggrevated my old back problem.

I carried on with the activation with some difficulty and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of hours on the summit, both activating and chatting with interested/curious walkers.
I managed 31 contacts in all and 7 DXCCs. I also had three S2S contacts with Rob (& Audrey) G4RQJ/P on G/LD-024 on 40m-cw, Jirka OK2BDF/P on OK/JM-020 on 30m-cw and a craking 50Mhz-fm S2S with Ron GW4EVX/P on GW/NW-042.

I struggled to pack the pole and dipole away after the activation, but thought a good nights rest in the caravan would put me right for Saturday and then the rally on Sunday. The drive to Fleetwood was very painfull but I made it and had my evening meal followed by a good long hot shower, I then had no option but to put my feet up with a few cans of lager while everyone else went out for the evening. The next morning I was in real trouble and took half an hour to eventually get myself vertical.
There was no way I could visit the rally on Sunday which was agonisingly just 6 miles down the road, that hurt the most, I was looking forward to meeting so many of you sota folk and itching to sample one of Audrey’s world famous SOTA cakes/buns, maybe at Llandudno Audrey.

The drive home was very difficult and I am now back on my old medication and looking at 1-2 weeks flat on my back, hi, still there are others far worse off than me so I’m not complaining.

Thanks to all stations worked from Winter Hill and for spotting me and thanks for all S2S contacts.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Very concerned to read the sorry tale Mike. Well done for completing the activation.

I would say that you compounded the problem by drinking lager - wrong medicine, it should have been real ale!
My wife suffers with a back problem and for that reason she never drinks lager…

73 and get well soon.

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike,

This is a disaster! It must have hurt to get back to the car. Rest up, get some physio and you will be back on your local summit soon, I hope.

I was looking for you and a few others at the rally. Shame we didn’t meet but we will one day.

Get well soon,

73, John G4YSS.

In reply to GW0DSP:
Rotten luck, Mike, take care of yourself and hopefully you will be back in action soon - pun unintended!

Do you use two walking poles? My wife has knee problems and she reckons she would be unable to get up the hills without two poles, and I find they make life a lot easier too!

Ignore the real ale advice, it’s better to apply 40 proof whiskey - internally, of course, and preferably a single malt!

Brian G8ADD

Get well soon, Mike.

Peter

In reply to GW0DSP:

Many thanks for staying around for the fb S2S Mike and I hope you will soon be fighting fit again!

Best wishes,

Ron, GW4EVX

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

my very best wishes for a quick recovery!

73 Bernhard

Thanks everyone for the good wishes which are much appreciated.
With the type of medicine you all recommend, I’ll soon be back on the little summits, probably singing with a slurred voice, hi.

73 Mike.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,
Did hope to meet you at the rally but maybe some other time hope the back recovers soon a little red wine may do the trick hi hi just been into the big Morr super market 3 bottles of wine for £10 Blossom Hill red or white.

73 Terry

In reply to G4OIG:

I agree - NO lager (the devils brew) just real ale !

Keith.

In reply to GW0DSP:

With the type of medicine you all recommend, I’ll soon be back on the
little summits, probably singing with a slurred voice, hi.

Remember Mike, you are only licensed to do that on 160m AM…

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

With the type of medicine you all recommend, I’ll soon be back on
the
little summits, probably singing with a slurred voice, hi.

Remember Mike, you are only licensed to do that on 160m AM…

73, Gerald

…and then only at weekends;-)