What a pile-up sounds like on summit ... (F/AM-337)

191 QSO this day !

13 Likes

SOTA Contest Style :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

3 Likes

191 QSOs? Très bien, Roger :clap:

73, Roman

2 Likes

A squeezing sound! Cogratulations for the number of QSOs.

73, Christos.

2 Likes

My lastest activations were a real good fun with pile-up.
Rig: FT817ND - 2Watts - Dipole V inverted 4 bands

4 Likes

Your RF Gain is way too high. This is a classic example of gain compression with inability to pick out distinct signals, aka “pileup mush”. Another sign is how audible the background noise is. You should lower RF gain so you can barely hear the background noise to begin with. And if there are still multiple loud signals blending into each other, lower the RF Gain further until only the loudest are heard. Then as you work through the pileup, if you have any difficulty picking up the weaker signals, increase RF Gain until background noise is just audible again. :grinning:

73, Barry N1EU

8 Likes

Just like DX stations working the world, I would try split and maybe dial down the CW filter

ed

1 Like

12 Mar… 245 QSO!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I had many times wanted to record the CW pileup during some of my activations and post it here for the chasers to hear it, but I always forget it.
It’s a huge wall and it seems like impossible to pick up something coherent, but it finally happens.
A stronger signal, a different cadence, a higher or lower pitch tone, a tail ender… Something always happens letting us distinguish and pick up a callsign or part of it, thus making QSOs and thinning the pile down to zero. It’s absolutely great fun and something we can enjoy at almost any time we want thanks to the SOTA program and all of you chasers around the World.
THANK YOU!

Guru

4 Likes

Yes Barry !
You are right, It’s exactly what I do, because I use a headphone. Without headphone, I’m always disturbed by the around noise (wind) and I can hardly hear weak signal.
There is a long time we had a QSO each other. 73 Roger

1 Like

Guru
Nothing more to say !
Your explanation is so right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks to you all, the greatest present is to do many contact on summit.
73 Roger

Takeo
You will have to activate from Europe :grinning:
73 Roger

1 Like

13 years ago when I activated summits and I did 20 QSO, it was really nice. I didn’t use any cluster and SOTA program wasn’t so popular as now. My 500 hz filter was enough.
Now I’m totally addicted, I like sotawatch, cluster, SOTA Goat , HamAlert, Outd Log, iDX cluster, GMA app, WFF app. Hi !
73 Roger

3 Likes

Congratulations, sounds cool! On my last CW activation I had to split actually, it helped a lot. Have you tried it on your activations?

1 Like

I know that feeling. It is frustrating, but fun…
73 de LA3NGA

Hi,
I was trying to chase you in simplex and later in split that day. It took me a while but I finally chased you about 1 Kc UP.
I can understand that receiving your chaser calls spreaded a few Kc UP might have made things easier for you, however, there is a problem when QRP activators work in split:
The problem is that the activator QRP signal is the only signal on that frequency, while the strong signal from the chasers are on frecuencies UP from the activator’s. The problem with this is that the activator’s frequency quickly gets occupied by other stations and thus, the chasers have problems to copy the activator due to QRM from other stations occupying the activator’s frequency.
This is what happened that day and you probably didn’t notice that other stations were in QSO on your frequency and some of your chasers like myself had big problems to copy your not too bad signal undee the other QRO stations traffic.
My advise is not to work split when activating QRP as it’s too difficult for a QRP activator to hold that frequency for himself.
The strong chasers signals help the activator to keep the frequency unused by others.

Guru

4 Likes

Incredible! Especially as you were only using 2 watts. Unfortunately, when you’re doing a double or triple activation, it doesn’t leave much time for the other summits. These days, I tend to leave 40m until later in the afternoon when I am not so pushed for time. It is nice to just do a single summit occasionally and work all the bands; can’t wait for the sporadic E season to get going.
73 de Matt

1 Like

Thanks for the QSO and info, I didn’t think actually about this, though I heard some stations started CQing on my RX frequency, but they QSYed quite quickly because of traffic (don’t know why they even started because freq. was obviously occupied). That day I ran about 70W from ft857, so it was not QRP activation and still this issue took place… Main reason to split was that some chasers were not cooperating and were just throwing calls when I called others, QSO rate became miserable because of that, with split it went much faster, which were definitely beneficial for me and chasers. This was very nice to know, so I will just try to utilize RIT better for future QRP activations.

2 Likes