We're all biathletes now !

A friend sent me this and asked if this is what I get up to up the mountains?

I do fancy the idea of a pack goat to do some of the lifting :wink:

15 Likes

Thanks for the link, its a great read. I was first influenced by Steve on You Tube to find out what SOTA was in about 2011. I just got a second hand IC703 rig and did a search on You Tube to see if anyone was using them portable and Steve came up. Took me a bit of searching to find SOTA website and thatā€™s where I started with an email to Management re SOTA in VK. VK3 had just submitted there list of summits to be approved and joined the program in February 2012 I think. That same fella VK3WAM helped me draw up the list of summits for VK5 and I started SOTA in vk5 in October 2012. This October will be 10 years of SOTA in vk5 and I will be past 400 activations by then and more then 1500 activating points. I do about 180km of hiking annually for SOTA and am on my third pair of hiking boots 4th SOTA back pack umpteenth antenna and on it goes. Probably one thing that has changed is I only took the ic 703 to about 3 summits before my KX3 arrived.
Great blog thanks for posting.
Regards
Ian vk5cz ā€¦

4 Likes

I use a pair of hiking sticks these days when climbing so I wonder if that makes me a quadrathlete?

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

After I coined the term ā€œBiathlon for Geeksā€ to describe SOTA, my friend Tim N9PUZ got me this hat. The official chapeau for the well-dressed activator ;-).

73 Paula k9ir

20 Likes

I tore my meniscus in a silly winter hiking accident in Yosemite NP in early 2011.

To buoy my spirits while laid up recovering, I was cruising YouTube for things outdoors and stumbled upon Steveā€™s YouTube adventures with Rooster and Peanut. After probably one video I was so intrigued to try my hand at SOTA and while I probably would have discovered SOTA at some point, Steve definitely got me into it.

I met Steve @WG0AT at the 2012 or 2013 Pacificon hamfest in the San Francisco Bay Area as he presented with Adrian (N6ZA), the then W6-AM on SOTA in W6-land. I was complete bought in except i still couldnā€™t hike!

Fabulous ambassador.

I miss the goat videos.

Paul

2 Likes

Like this one?

Elliott, K6EL

4 Likes

Definitely, great to watch again!!

Thanks.

I really like that phrase. Might end up on a selfdesigned sport shirt for myself:

:thinking:

73 Joe

5 Likes

That place, hike.radio.repeat, is in Norway!

w3w

4 Likes

Hopefully including some SOTA summits.
ROFL :rofl:

Yeah but:
Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 21.10.42

and

Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 21.08.37

ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no chance of mixing up those words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmmm seems like itā€™s global

Ron
VK3AFW
Increasingly bewildered by his location.

1 Like

Itā€™s possible I could be at Fagersta in Dandenong buying stainless steel rod. I donā€™t know if one of them is called Anton.
:smile:

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like