Welcome back!

Sorry about the outage, apparently there was a spike in the usage yesterday afternoon which was compromising the service to the paying customers of the server (we get it for free at present!) and Sotawatch had to be removed from service. On its return to service it took time to propagate through the net but it is working for me now and I hope anybody not able to log on will be back with us soon.

Clearly SOTA is the victim of its own success - equally clearly, we really miss the site when its down!

And now back to our usual activities…

Brian G8ADD

Is it known what specific activity was contributing most to the overload? (…and is there anything we, as users, can do to help avoid another such occurrence?)

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

I think there will be a more detailed statement in due course. Right now we need to let Jon GM4ZFZ take a breather after having to do some unplanned work getting things running again and let him get on with his day job.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy
Things not quite back to normal yet. When I look in the summit list at an individual summit that has been activated it says this summit still to be activated! Also does not flag up the summits I have done on the summit list as per normal. Not sure if you have seen this and are sorting or not!

73s

Adrian
MM0DHY

In reply to G8ADD:
(we get it for free at present!) Clearly SOTA is the victim of its own success

With the continued growth and popularity of SOTA, and the new facilities available from the website, is it perhaps time to have a formal subscription to pay for the website?

Regards, Dave, G6DTN

In reply to M0DFA:

The MT will debate this at their next meeting.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0DHY:

We hope that remaining minor issues will soon be sorted out.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0DFA:

With respect, this should be the very last solution and could stop the growth of SOTA here. The hikers are often younger ones who have families etc… already too many bills to pay. I myself not sure I would pay. Gotta be another way.

I would not be against small adds on SOTAwatch. Small means small. Please, try not to take the easy solutions.

In reply to G8ADD:

There is a very interesting post on NASOTA yahoo group (by Mike KD9KC )

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Interesting, but I think people are worrying too soon!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I am sure you are right Brian.

In reply to VA2SG:

The MT will debate any suggestion unless it is obviously wacky, and in keeping an eye on finances and future needs we are doing our job, but as far as I can see the members of the MT like things the way they are and would only change things if we were absolutely forced to.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

On its return to service it took time
to propagate through the net but it is working for me now and I hope
anybody not able to log on will be back with us soon.

Clearly SOTA is the victim of its own success - equally clearly, we
really miss the site when its down!

Dont see any change yet -Total Activations: None yet!

Whats the big mystery?
Why not a message saying “Malfunction at present”
This would save even further overuse of the system by those who draft messages reporting the fact as a result of their not having time to search reflector for submissions several days ago.

Paul (cant tell green from red)
2E0EET

In reply to M6PEW:

Well, Paul, they would have to search the net for the malfunction message, wouldnt they?

This free service depends for its maintainance on people using their free time. Have patience!

Brian G8ADD