Wainwright's walks

In reply to G4OIG:

I just wish I was 30 years younger, hi.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Yes me too, but I bet we’d still be left standing! I never was a whippet (with apologies to Barry).

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
I have my doubts that she is! Look at the shots where the camera crew are behind her and then in front of her, she had to sit and rest while the crew set up for the next shot (there seems to be no hand-held camera work), and if the Director wasn’t satisfied she would probably do a short section of track repeatedly - some of the bigger routes might have been shot over days!

Another thing, some of the routes that are featured are extremely popular but you often get the feeling that she has the hill to herself - what inducement is used to keep ordinary hillwalkers out of shot?

I think they are great programs, but on screen things are rarely what they seem!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

I take your points. However, I would think they have more than one camera crew and it would be in their interest to get it done as quickly as possible to minimise the risk of getting caught up there with the recording kit in bad weather - especially as the Lakes can produce this very quickly! I can’t really see the director asking for many repeats… after all we are supposed to be looking at the scenery not the presenter. I wonder what the out-takes look like.

As for no Joe Public, yes I agree they are obviously kept out of shot and it does appear she is out there on her own (with the production crew of course). I can’t imagine what would be needed to guarantee a hill free of unwanted bodies. People could appear from virtually anywhere on a lot of summits.

Incidentally, I was asked to “remove my person” on one occasion when walking through a town where a crew was filming. I didn’t argue, but it was clear that I had a right to be there. Aren’t we Brits obliging!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Evening.

In my limited experience of LD summits, it seems quite possible to one to yourself. It very much depends on the summit and the time of day. The further NE you go, the quieter it seems to be and being out early helps. I have had some wonderful walks on well-known summits almost entirely on my own. I think from some of the asides, that they start quite early.

Mind you, after all this publicity, the Lakes are going to be very busy. My usual CL has never been so fully-booked so early in the year.

73, 'ERP

I have walked quite a few summits and seen no one… it’s all down to timing. The LD summit we did first last Sunday, I saw no one till about 12pm.

A helicopter was used during the filming and based on my experience of on location filming it would have been used to get people and kit back to base so it’s more than likely she was flown off, some of them.

You can’t film some of the walks she did in a day and get down before dark, but as we never saw her come down we can only guess.

Steve

In reply to 2E0KPO:

“I have walked quite a few summits and seen no one… it’s all down to timing. The LD summit we did first last Sunday, I saw no one till about 12pm.”

This is very true, a few weeks ago Pauline and I climbed up the side of Raise Beck to Grisedale Tarn to get something out of a wet day, and saw just three people. On a fine day later in the year we would probably have seen nearer thirty! Yet this time last year I did Lingmoor Fell on a fine day and saw about 10 people, and that is quite a minor fell. It is partly luck and partly timing, but I still think they cleared people off the mountain somehow. I don’t know about you but I would have given them a dusty answer!

Brian G8ADD