Wainwright's walks

If I remember correctly, these have been mentioned before here on the reflector when the programme “mountain” was on the beeb.

So for those interested "wainwright’s walks " is on BBC 2 on tuesday 4 march at 1930 BST. Starting with “High street”.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

So for those interested "wainwright’s walks " is on BBC 2 on tuesday 4
march at 1930 BST. Starting with “High street”.

The programme has been running now on BBC2 Scotland for about three weeks (yesterday Wednesday, it was Helms Crag) but those of us who care for Andy’s (MM0FMF) sanity refrained from posting - very pleasant watching Julia’s scramble onto the “Howitzer”

Barry GM4TOE

Thanks for this Peter. I have seen that episode before, but want to watch it again now that I have that very same ascent onto High Street in my summer plans.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to ON3WAB:

Thanks Peter, I wonder if you can drop us a reminder on the day it airs like you did last time?
I have a memory like a sieve and must admit that missing the walks would be terrible, but missing the lovely Julia would be a disaster, hi.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:

They really are fun to watch, even for the second time and even when you’ve already done most of them. It’s a pity Helm Crag isn’t on the SOTA list: I haven’t done it yet, but the continuation ridge looks quite enticing as an approach to High Raise, LD-019!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
but the continuation ridge looks quite enticing as an approach to High Raise, LD-019!

Prefer to finish off with this ridge. Starting at Grasmere then Easedale Tarn, Blea Rigg, Sgt Man, High White Stones, Greenup Edge and then the ridge to Helm Crag. A great days walk.

Love sitting on Thunacar Knott and watching the flies swarm over the Langdales - amusing to say the least.

It is of course quite feasible to bag Scafell and High White Stones in one day starting from Borrowdale. You just descend at Greenup to the ice cream shop.

Te views from Blea Rigg are in themselves stunning and every turn gives a different aspect. You could not wish for better. The descent from Helm Crag though is vile but has the advantage of the home-made icecream shop if it is open.

Starting with Book One of Wainwright and working my way through the book in stict alphabetical order. Means duplications but what the heck.

In reply to G6DDQ:

Sounds good, your way round gets the best benefit of the light for photography!

Wainwrighting in alphabetical order - sounds like fun, too!

Brian G8ADD

For the forgetfull ones amoungst us ( not looking at someone in particular…) just a reminder that this evening on BBC at 19.30BST you can watch Wainwright’s walks.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

Thanks for the reminder Peter, I will be walking around with a piece of string tied to my finger until 19:30 hi.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Regarding the Wainrights walk, it was nice to see the racecourse walk via High Street, What a nice enjoyable walk it looks, i will have to get my boot on get out and have a nice days walking, How long does it normally take from Wythburn as a circular walk, Sorry so short as ive now got to get ready for work, hope to be out soon,
Steve m0sgb

Another episode this evening 11 march on BBC2

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten !
73 Graham G3OHC

19.30 BST Graham

Have fun !!

In reply to ON3WAB:

Thanks Peter, I had forgotten again, hi.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hmmmm Pillar. The way you shouldn’t go with a 15kg SOTA backpack!
Excellent views as usual… and the landscape wasn’t that bad either!

73, Gerald

Now there’s a YHA I would like to spend the night !

Peter

In reply to G4OIG:
It baffles me why its called the “High Level Route”, its lower than the skyline - but yes, great views!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Yes, I couldn’t see the reason for the name. I didn’t like the way she lost height when taking that route either - most disheartening. In my book ascent = up!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

The views were really fantastic, as was the countryside scenery, hi.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Seems we have a common opinion Mike. Perhaps an invitation to join us on an activation is required! I’ve never seen a descent from a summit on the program, so I assume a helicopter ride back would be in order. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald