W7Y/EW-006, Jelm Mountain, 6/30/19

I’m planning to be on Jelm Mt. (W7Y/EW-006), 6/30/19 between 1400 UTC and 1700 UTC.

I will only be hiking the last 1K of the hike due to my 3-year-old accompanying me. I plan on taking a K2 and HT. Tentatively I plan on doing some CW (QRS) on 7.062 and 14.062, SSB on 7.260 and 14.247. I will have the HT on monitoring 146.580.

Having my little one with me may reduce the amount of time I operate.

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes

Make sure you place an alert on SOTAwatch as not everybody checks the reflector

https://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/

Good luck, Chris! I’ve made a few 2m contacts from Jelm Mtn announcing myself on 146.52 or talking to folks on the local repeater before making the simplex qso.
Peter KD0YOB

Chris

Its a pretty straight forward activation which includes a decent 4x4 dirt road to the top so you don’t really need to hike the last 1K.

Not sure what luck you will have with 2m as its a bit out into a less traveled and populated part of the world.

Snaps etc at this link…

Paul
M0SNA/W6PNG

Welcome Chris,
Be listening for you for S2S.
All Best, Ken

1 Like

Thanks, we will be heading out here shortly from Laramie. I’m familiar with Jelm as our local club has a 2M repeater and an APRS digipeater up there.

2 Likes

Pretty good activation with 2 summit-to-summits! We only made 11 QSO’s and I would have liked to work more on 40M CW, but copying CW while keeping track of a 3-year-old is challenging.

The road to Jelm is open and in good condition. The weather was overcast with a nice breeze. The temperature was 17C (62F).

Since we only hiked the last 1Km of the road we packed the Elecraft K2. We ran 10W into a MP-1 screwdriver antenna. The key used for CW was the American Morse MS2 miniature straight key. I wanted to use my ear-buds a little more, but I needed to keep an ear out for my Son as he explored the mountain.

1 Like

Given your familiarity with the area you probably already know that Ring is near by and only marginally more involved than activating Jelm especially if you are happy to hike 1 Km.

Paul

Yep, I’ve been in that area as well. I will probably give that a go in the upcoming weeks.

This was my first activation and has been something I’ve been wanting to get into for a while. So down the rabbit hole I go…

Chris

1 Like

Chris,
Thanks for following up with a report and photo! Not sure that band conditions were that great today. I’m glad that I was able to get an S2S with you. I was about 30 miles away, possibly line of sight. Hope to catch you on the next one…

Peter KD0YOB

Peter,

Thank you for the S2S! That was quite a surprise for me. I was fortunate enough to bag two this morning. I’ll watch for your next expedition.

Chris, N7NAV