W7A 10-Point s2s Madness Event, October 3, 2020

I hiked up local 7500ft 6-pointer, threw a wire in the trees and had some fun. Only 5 of my 20 S2S contacts were in W7A, so a pretty active day across North America. Thanks for all the Q’s!

73, Barry N1EU

2 Likes

Great day. I had a blast with all the S2S activity. Mor than half my contacts were S2S. Bruce K9OZ

2 Likes

I too strolled up a summit close to where I am vacationing. 4 S2S on 20 metres ssb. 7 contacts total

Malen
VE6VID

2 Likes

41 s2s contacts today, including 20 ten pointers, mostly in W7A. 20 metres was long… no activations heard on that band closer than 2,000 miles unless line of sight. 40 was fabulous on the west coast. On 17, I worked every spot of an east coast Sota’er. Lots of folks took refuge on that band and 30 to escape the huge Cal QSO Party, which began at 1600.

Congrats to the organizers. This could be a major annual Sota event, if it isn’t already.

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

Thanks for this cool madness. It was fun, although I could only chase one W7A, the madness organiser!
This is my log.

I could have chased 2 more but I made a mistake and switched from my yagi to my multiband dipole for a while to try to copy a signal from Europe and then forgot to revert back to my yagi, so I unsuccessfully tried to copy @NZ4R and @VA2EO with my multiband dipole instead of my yagi. By the time I realised of my mistake, they were both gone QSY to other lower bands where I had no chance to chase them.
It was good fun!
Thanks to all the activators and the organiser.

Guru

3 Likes

You AZ folks are awesome; thanks for hosting. It was a blast – chaotic, maybe, but a total blast! Thanks & 73,

2 Likes

Awesome day of chasing for me… 25 contacts! 210 points!
Special hats off to Keith, KR7RK, and Jim, W0DFM… each activated three 10-point summits!!

Thanks to all the activators!
Gary W5GDW

1 Like

Thanks for all the summit activity, although things got a little hectic with the California QP on 20M this afternoon. Worked S2S to five W7A summits with my 6 watts CW, plus nine others including CT7/K9PM/P from here in the northeast W2/GC-002 (10 pointer). The crowd of hikers at the fire tower were entertained! 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

Wow! What a ball! 71 Qs of which 35 were S2S. Thanks for organizing this and it would be a great idea for the W4 area. Dean ~ K2JB

2 Likes

Just got home from the s2s madness event.

Extremely rough data shows 110 QSO’s, 53 of them s2s contacts, and 27 of them appear to be ten point summits. However some are duplicates (multiple ops and bands), so I won’t have any real accurate data until tomorrow some time.

I also worked two stations in Europe (they were not on summits), so that was nice…Spain and Germany on 20M CW.

So…It was busy, it was hectic, it was crazy…it was…wait…wait for it…MADNESS!

I loved it. I hope everyone had some fun, as in the end that is what it is all about!

More tomorrow.

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A Association Manager and s2s Madness Instigator

5 Likes

Dean…lots of 10 pointers in the carolinas!!!

Pete
Wa7jtm

1 Like

I enjoyed this immensely! I was on W0C/SR-052, Thorodin Mountain, at 10,540 feet, only 6 points, because of the very high breakpoints here in Colorado. Never mind, it’s a great site for S2S chasing, with low noise and a hike of only 1100 vertical feet. As soon as I turned on the KX2, I was calling S2S’s!

There were so many I had to just work whoever was convenient - and I heard so many working other activators - there was no way to grab everyone! There were several wonderful 10-point people in the SE and NE areas - available on both 30 and 20M. Of course the AZ stations were numerous - and too many to work them all around 1600, when I got on!

The tough call is whether to chase them or call CQ and have them come. I was rewarded both ways, so who knows? I didn’t use the Internet at all, just hunted for them. My tuner lets me jump from band to band with almost no delay, so I QSY a lot - but I still activated all three bands and handed out a lot of chaser points.

20M was a horror show, with the contesters and the QSO party, etc. I managed to run an OK activation on 14.062, along with plenty of close QRM - the KX2 is pretty good for that. It was rough though.

What stands out for me is how many S2S ops have become more skilled. It’s getting better and better.

It was several hours of pleasant surprises! Lots of great activators doing their best! The worst competition is from the chasers!! I still have a few who tune up right on frequency, never mind my S2S in progress!

The good far out-weighed the bad, and thanks to all of you who were there!

George
KX0R

3 Likes

Hi Geo,
I heard you working S2S with another activator yesterday on 20m CW, but it was the other activator’s frequency, not yours, so I couldn’t chase you there. Your signals were pretty good so it would have been an easy copy both ways, but I never heard you CQing on 20m, so I finally missed you. Shame!

Guru

1 Like

Thanks, @WA7JTM Pete for organizing this event again. It only seems fitting that you were my first contact and S2S in the log, but certainly not the last S2S of the day. I am quite pleased with my haul of 29 S2Ss from here in the southeast. 10 of those were W7A activations and a big thanks to everyone else who was out for the day. Spots were scrolling off the screen faster than you could tune them!

73, pat - ki4svm

2 Likes

At Phoenix airport heading home. Thanks to local W7A activators and chasers. I was able to check off some hikes I had wanted to do. On Saturday Sorry for poor cw at times, between being rusty and my key going out it was particularly bad at times (glad Geo could copy the mess). I think I had 35 unique S2S but sometimes just sat and enjoyed the beautiful weather and views. Good to make contacts with so many operators.

5 Likes

Thanks Pete for another great S2S event I did manage to make it up too a 10 pointer this year, W7W/OK-020 Windy Peak, some smoke in the air but Wow fantastic views. Only problem I had was I broke my phone so I couldn’t spot otherwise Great times. Kris

1 Like

Pete, Thanks for 10-Point MADNESS!
I had a BLAST! , spent 7 Hours in the Shack and was Lucky to get 20 ten pointers! Great wife here brought me in hot lunch and drinks to keep me going!
I’ ll be looking to see the results.Hope everyone got home safe.
Thank’s to all,
73 Gary-N2ESE

2 Likes

WOW! U HAVE A GREAT WIFE!!!

Hi Hi

Pete/JTM

1 Like

OK…my final stats from yesterdays s2s madness event:

109 total QSO’s made
56 s2s QSO’s
45 unique s2s summits worked
17 unique Arizona 10 point summits worked

Point breakdown of all s2s summits worked:
24 unique 10 point summits worked
4 unique 8 point summits worked
7 unique 6 point summits worked
5 unique 4 point summits worked
3 unique 2 point summits worked
2 unique 1 point summits worked

s2s Points Scored during this event: 352

A GREAT BIG THANKS to all who participated, Chasers and Activators

Pete
WA7JTM/7 W7A/CS-013

4 Likes

Pete,

I had a BLAST! I learned so much from completing my first activation. It was so good to get out in the fresh air and play on the radio.

Fred/N7PN
W7A/AE-029

1 Like