W6/SN-046 16 Oct 2010 Plan "A"

Okey dokey, SOTA Fans,

Barring sudden death or the Big Earthquake that’s been predicted for California since I was a little kid, I’m on for Little Bald Mt [W6/SN-046] for tomorrow. Should be on the air by 1700 UTC. I’ll start on 14.060/14.061 and move to 10.116 at about 1900 UTC for the more local folks. I’ll likely pack it in and come home around 2000 UTC. Will appreciate spots to SOTA and QRPSpots.com, I don’t know how to work my phone to do it myself.

Should something prevent Plan A, I’m not sure I can manage Plan “B” on Sunday, supposed to rain here which will likely mean snow at the summit.

K2 @ 5W
Buddipole vertical
KX1 @ 3W for backup

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

In reply to K6DGW:
Gl Fred. Will be listening.

In reply to K6DGW:
I’ll be listening also Fred…have “FUN”!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to K6DGW:

Well, W6/SN-046 was about as good as it gets! Made 17 Q’s, all on 20 CW, I had to curtail the 30m operation due to a rapidly gathering thunderstorm … they happen a lot over the summits of the Sierra Nevada this time of year. Wind had come up last night, blew out ALL the haze, and from 2,170 meters and sticking up above all the surrounding terrain, I think I could have seen to Poland, who I heard :slight_smile: It was soooo clear!!

Temps around 18C, really nice in a sweatshirt and shorts. I’m going to try for Slate Mt, W6/SN-048 on the big SOTA day, but please, no one holding their breath, OK?. We’re perilously close to snow despite the temp I quoted above, Little Bald may be white tomorrow afternoon.

The exact summit is occupied by a Forest Fire Lookout building [I use the term loosely, it looks a lot like those BS7H positions], I set up at the base, about 6 horizontal meters from the summit and maybe 2.5 vertical meters. Three visitors, not counting the US Forest Service guys closing the lookout for the year. A truly fun trip, I like this activity!

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA USA

In reply to K6DGW:

Well, W6/SN-046 was about as good as it gets! Made 17 Q’s, all on 20 CW, I had to curtail the 30m operation due to a rapidly gathering thunderstorm … they happen a lot over the summits of the Sierra Nevada this time of year. Wind had come up last night, blew out ALL the haze, and from 2,170 meters and sticking up above all the surrounding terrain, I think I could have seen to Poland, who I heard :slight_smile: It was soooo clear!!

Temps around 18C, really nice in a sweatshirt and shorts. I’m going to try for Slate Mt, W6/SN-048 on the big SOTA day, but please, no one holding their breath, OK?. We’re perilously close to snow despite the temp I quoted above, Little Bald may be white tomorrow afternoon.

The exact summit is occupied by a Forest Fire Lookout building [I use the term loosely, it looks a lot like those BS7H positions], I set up at the base, about 6 horizontal meters from the summit and maybe 2.5 vertical meters. Three visitors, not counting the US Forest Service guys closing the lookout for the year. A truly fun trip, I like this activity!

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA USA

In reply to K6DGW:
Glad you had “FUN” Fred…I was listening for you but no joy…lots of sigs from QSO parties, events, etc on top of each other. Catch you another day I hope!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:

I kept looking for you, but the ARCI QRP thing was on as well as several QP’s and it was sort of wall-to-wall signals. I did hear a loud VE7, but he was calling others and not CQ’ing. A really FUN day Mike.

Fred