W4 SOTA Campout Fall 2021

Sorry to hear you are ill Andy. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Ken W4KAC

What a great weekend! We had over 20 folks camping and participating over the weekend. It was great seeing and hiking with friends both new and old. We had great weather overall and fall finally decided to visit us on Saturday and Sunday. I still need to unpack, decompress and of course work on my activation logs. One of my highlights was watching @N4DCW Michael work a couple of satellites on our activation of W4C/WM-014 - Standing Indian. We missed out on the first satellite pass due to a tree across the road about three miles from the trailhead, but thanks to some other hikers we were able to pull the tree out of the way with their truck. It was a soggy hike up to the top, but we made it in time to catch the next two birds. Working satellites is like a crazy 5-10 minute contest with lots of knob and antenna twisting!

Michael working FM simplex before the first satellite pass.

4 Likes

This thread needs more pictures.

2 Likes

What a weekend! It was wonderful to meet everyone and put faces with callsigns. With so many experienced SOTA ops on hand, I’m still processing everything I learned.

I had a fun surprise when uploading my logs just now: I reached “quarter Goat” at exactly 250 activator points. I assume it’s the hind quarter.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 3.29.45 PM

Yes, @WW4D and I had an adventure with the log over the road. It was small enough to look like we could’ve pushed it out of the way, but it was very tall had deep enough roots that it had to be yanked out with a truck. Once it broke midway we were able to drive the remaining few miles, hike up, and experience a very wet activation that was only a little rainy but mostly heavy mist and strong gusty winds.

It was also great to run into @N1ZF Paul on W4C/WM-011 Huckleberry Knob. After I finished off some 146.520 QSOs I went to see his HF setup.

I’m already planning for the Spring campout next year. Thanks again, everyone!

4 Likes

Here are some photos I took.

Last one is Yellow Bald (W4C/WM-022), not all balds are bald!

4 Likes