W4 SOTA Campout Fall 2021

Location: Standing Indian Campground, Franklin, NC - Standing Indian Campground, National Forests in North Carolina - Recreation.gov
When: Thursday, Oct 14th - Sunday, October 17th 2021

This fall’s campout will be held at Standing Indian Campground in Western North Carolina near Franklin. Get ready for some cool fall weather and some dutch oven cooking. There might even be a few summit activations, you never know with this group! You can hike directly from the campground up to Standing Indian and can make a nice all day loop combining that with Yellow Mtn.

The campground has nice large, open RV/Trailer sites in Loops 2 and 3. Most of the reservable spots in Loops 1 & 4 are already booked, but there are plenty of first-come, first-serve sites that will probably be open mid-week. Some of us have reserved sites in Loop 5 which is a little more woodsy, but still has lot of sites available.

73, pat - ki4svm

3 Likes

Reservations made! Looking forward to it.

1 Like

That’s great, Michael! What campsite did you reserve?

Loop 5 - 66

Attendees and Campsites

Campsite Loop Activators
16 1 Richard-N1RBD & June
29 3 Patrick-NE2P, Ron-NR3E & Liz-K1LIZ
31 3 Dean-K2JB
59 5 David-ND1J & Meg-K5MEG
60 5 Wayne-W4KWM
61 5 Dee-KO4LIT & Paula-K9IR
62 5 Al-N4EII
64 5 Pat-KI4SVM & Ryan-WG4I
65 5 Bob-K4RLC & Alanna-K4AAC
66 5 Michael-N4DCW
67 5 Andy-N4LAG & Debbie

Andy-N4LAG & Debbie are confirmed for campsite # 67, WE-SA nights.

1 Like

I have loop 5 site 60 reserved. I bring my travel trailer.

Site 16 - June wanted to be near the river. Plus, it’s near the potty. Win/Win for her. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Loop 5 Site 59 Thu-Sun booked. Now I hope I can make it for all or part. Look forward to meeting all of you in person. David ND1J and hopefully one night YL > Meg K5MEG

Woot! What about the rest of the SOTA Banditos?

Priorities are good. I looked at site 16 too and the proximity to the facilities is a big plus.

I am so glad that you can make it, David. It will be great to meet you in person after all of the contacts that we have had over the years.

73, pat - ki4svm

Latest Attendees and Campsites

Campsite Loop Activators
16 1 Richard-N1RBD & June
29 3 Patrick-NE2P, Ron-NR3E & Liz-K1LIZ
30 3 Beau-KH7FC
31 3 Dean-K2JB
33 3 Mark-AE1MS & Jean-AE1JS
57 5 Scott-KW4JM & Jeanette, Ariel-NY4G
59 5 David-ND1J & Meg-K5MEG
60 5 Wayne-W4KWM & Doug-N4HNH
61 5 Dee-KO4LIT & Paula-K9IR
62 5 Al-N4EII
64 5 Pat-KI4SVM & Ryan-WG4I
65 5 Bob-K4RLC & Alanna-K4AAC
66 5 Michael-N4DCW
67 5 Andy-N4LAG & Debbie
1 Like

Have a great time guys :grinning:

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Is there an agenda that y’all plan on doing some completes or something? IF I come it’s almost 10 hour drive for me

I guess everyone has their own agenda, but our campouts work out very well for racking up completes in one weekend. The most popular summits will get activated at least once per day, if not more. 2m S2S pileups are a common occurrence at these campouts when activators arrive on summits. You can fly solo or hook up with any other group of activators as you wish. We are a pretty easy going laid-back group and getting to know the other activators and chasers is what this is all about. I hope that you can make it down this fall, but we have a spring and fall campout every year at varying locations so plenty of opportunities in the future as well.

73, pat - ki4svm

Booked Loop 3 site 30. I will bring a couple radios and a few antennas. Will be nice to meet some people I have been chatting with, and maybe see some rig setups in person I haven’t.

Name is Beau

That’s great, Beau! It will definitely be a fun weekend with the turnout so far and I am looking forward to some cooler weather already. We usually have really good access notes on summits down here, but feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need any recommendations.

73, pat - ki4svm

Weather depending, I’m hoping to do a LOT of activating over the campout weekend. I’ll focus most of the summits on Friday so I can hang out with yall Saturday afternoon and evening at the campground. I plan to be at the first trailhead shortly before sunrise Friday morning.

For those of you chasing from the campground, what bands/modes will you be working with? I’ll have my satellite station with me so that’s 2M and 70CM with my Arrow, as well as an FT-818 for HF.

My rough activation schedule is:

Friday 10/15
Brasstown Bald, W4G/NG-001
Blue Mountain, W4G/NG-010
Rocky Mountain, W4G/NG-011
Tray Mountain, W4G/NG-005
Bell Knob, W4G/NG-035

Saturday 10/16
Standing Indian, W4C/WM-014
Yellow Mountain, W4C/WM-034
Yellow Bald, W4C/WM-022

Sunday 10/17
Wine Spring Bald, W4C/WM-018
Huckleberry Knob, W4C/WM-011

2 Likes

Michael,

I hadn’t really starting looking at summits in the area yet. Also have no clue what everyone else is planning on doing. Your Friday looks like my type of day. Would you want a tag along? Depending on how early you actually plan on leaving.

1 Like

If it were any other Friday I’d say yes, but I’ll be coming off a rough week at work and I’d probably wouldn’t be very chatty. Maybe I’ll hear you on some S2S’s though, or we’ll run into each other up top somewhere. Def looking forward to meeting everyone at the campground!!

Oh ok. Well I don’t know what I’m doing yet or what the group is doing. Ideally I want to get more points though.