W1/NL-002 "Are you a spy"

:rofl: :rofl: You have to laugh! In this modern era, there are so many better ways of passing information covertly (and securely) than sitting in a public space with a large wire antenna and a set of headphones on trying to establish a reliable long-range connection on HF. Spies around the world must be so relieved that the sunspot numbers are climbing! :grin: It makes me think of a mobile phone mast I used to pass in Wales that was disguised as a tree. (Building planners are even more strict than park rangers :wink:)

3 Likes

great idea for a sign.

Geoff vk3sq

Once I was asked on summit, if I’m talking to Alien by Morse code… :rofl:
Toru K JA1CTV / JH0CJH

4 Likes

So funny Toru San 73, fred

1 Like

What gets me about all these posts from the US is how many park rangers there must be.
Virtually never see one in the UK.
There are exceptions of course in certain spots.
I suppose it’s because our national parks are just geographic areas of private land, rather than government owned.

3 Likes

There must be something about my manner in doing an activation. Almost each time I’m asked by a passing walker if there’s been an accident!

4 Likes

Iolo, could you post two or three pictures of typical activations please :laughing:.

73, Ludwig

3 Likes

Maybe it’s the pile of garrotted mountain bikers and walkers under the antenna? :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Ludwig,
I will try to do a better job of taking photo’s in the future. Unfortunately I don’t have all that many now. I hope you enjoy the ones I do have.
W1/NL-010

W1/NL-019

W1/HA-049

9 Likes

Hi Toru,

That’s hopefully a sign that the questioner is trying to be funny. So do you answer haha, or be funny back. The spy question surely is a joke, after all a spy would surely not do something so obvious as to set up a mast and a long wire, then sit talking or sending morse on a radio. I guess the best answer is one that does not antagonise the questioner, as they are possibly trying to use humour to make contact with you! Answering in a non commital way, while remaining friendly is quite an art and depends on what’s happening on the radio at the time. “Hang on a bit, I’m trying to hear someone from Japan” sometimes works for me. But there is always a wise person who thinks you are dreaming!

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

3 Likes

On Friday during an activation I was asked what I was doing by the owner of a property adjacent to my operating position at the side of a public laneway. His follow up question was why here, surely all these trees would be bad for radio. And then maybe the thing that really bothered him, will there be many people coming here to do this.

I hope I answered all his questions in a satisfactory manner. As he walked off I had the impression he thought I was a nuttter but no danger to life it property. I can live with that.

If I had been conducting my QSOs by guitar, clarinet or bagpipes the outcome might have been different…

The laneway ends at a locked gate so there is very little traffic and most people who went exploring would either have to do a 9 point turn or back all the way out. Someone who camps there with a fishing pole talking to themselves is clearly something to look into

Ron
VK3AFW

5 Likes

Hi Andrew
Yes I responded to her that I’m really talking with Alien. :rofl:
Toru K JA1CTV

4 Likes

Hi Fred,

thanks. You and your station are away from paths and more deep in the forrest, indeed like a spy.

73, Ludwig

2 Likes

Here in Southern California people seem to be as curious as mollusks. I almost never get asked anything. But one time a friendly group of young people asked me what I was up to and I immediately said I needed to get a message out to Russia quickly (this was some time ago). They laughed and then we had a nice brief conversation about ham radio and SOTA.

5 Likes

When approached once, I replied that I was using Sonar to ‘mine’ for rare worms as we looked where the far end of EFHW was tethered down. I then pointed up to the top of the 10m telescopic pole, that was quite bent over, and explained that this last worm was putting up a good struggle and that I’d been at it for 10mins. The person walked away looking even more puzzled :smile:

73, Lea M0XPO

14 Likes

Too funny, I love reading these stories…

2 Likes

:rofl:

after my last activation on the hike back to the public transport bus, i passed some village boys, going back home from school. They looked at me from behind and one said, he’s got a rifle, checking my antenna mast. The next, no this isn’t a rifle, yes it is.
Was very funny listen to them.

73 de ruedi

5 Likes

I often hear it’s a fishing pole but never a rifle. funny! 73, fred

I find it very useful to have a short brochure about amateur radio with you. That with a short explanation and I find the people are very happy that all is OK. Why having a brochure makes the difference? No idea but it seems to make things more “official” I guess.

Ed.

6 Likes