Vote!

I can’t decide what band to do in tomorrow morning’s early-bird activation.

So I put it to the chasers to decide.

I can offer 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 6, 2 and 0.7 on CW, SSB and FM (as appropriate).

Whatever has the most votes in this thread by about 5.45am BST tomorrow morning will be the one I’ll do.

CONDITION: Placing a vote is a commitment to be up, awake and in your shack to work me (on that band/mode if it wins)!

Tom M1EYP

Place your votes now…

In reply to M1EYP:
40 or 80 SSB please Tom!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

I’d drag my unwilling carcase out of bed for 80, Tom - and straight back afterwards! :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

I should be up & around anyway so 80m CW or SSB, should hopefully work over the distance that early.

Mark G0VOF

You didn’t specify mode Brian - but I think I can guess :wink:

OK, well that particular band/mode combo has a clear lead at present. QRV times are expected to be 0555 to 0635.

Tom M1EYP

Place your votes

In reply to M1EYP:

I’ll vote for 2.3GHz FM for a future activation Tom. That way I can definitely stop in bed and be 100% correct in saying that I didn’t copy anything from you. :slight_smile:

All the best with the early bird tomorrow. Go catch that worm!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M1EYP:
40 or 80 ssb ATB Geoff

In reply to G4OIG:

Come, come, Gerald - 2.3GHz SSB surely! I shall be expecting nothing less once my 13cm transverter is working!

Good luck Tom, enjoy the activation.

John GM8OTI

In reply to M1EYP:

I’ll be there, Tom, but if the forecast chart is right you may find it a bit uncomfortable, not to mention a good chance of static rain!

Brian G8ADD

80m SSB it is then. CW if (and only if) things go quiet.

Tom M1EYP (setting off now)

Thanks for the activation. It’s the first time I’ve been able to hear someone on The Cloud well enough to make contact. The (local to me) QRN had picked up noticably at 0600z, and the QSB chose its moments too… :slight_smile:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M1EYP:
hello Tom,
I was up in time but no sigs on 80 m SSB nor CW, also no callers heard.
For us too late for 80m. And my FT 1000 is on leave for repair …

73 + cu on the SOTA
Mike, dj5av

In reply to M0LEP:

Thanks for the activation. It’s the first time I’ve been able to hear
someone on The Cloud well enough to make contact. The (local to me)
QRN had picked up noticably at 0600z, and the QSB chose its moments
too… :slight_smile:

Same for me here in Swindon Rick, but luckily there was a short window when conditions changed briefly and I was able to nip in and copy Tom 57. Most of the time though it was anything from a 35 to 47!

Thanks for the early morning one though Tom, nice to work you on the Cloud.

Jonathan
M6HBS

Thanks to all who made the effort to get out of bed early and listen for me. It was much appreciated. It nearly didn’t happen, for I dozed off (again) after my first alarm setting, but this time for 30 minutes until the second one went off. Thankfully, I was then able to get cracking and made up much of the lost time.

I was calling CQ on 3.653MHz SSB just after 7am local on Thursday 26th May 2011, and it didn’t take long to be working the chasers. Nine QSOs were made - 7 into G, and one each into GW and GM. I then worked two of the stations again on 3.557MHz CW. It looks like everyone who voted for the ‘winner’ (80m SSB) was true to their word and called me. I heard Geoff G6MZX calling, but he had disappeared when I called him in.

It’s the first time I’ve been able to hear someone on The Cloud well enough to make contact.

Wow! Amazing that this summit could still be rare or elusive for someone!

The rain arrived at 0620z, and I packed up and left. It was quite heavy by the time I reached the car on Cloudside, but the heater dried me off on the drive to work.

Pity that I wasn’t heard in Germany, but I will be activating again tomorrow morning, so…

Place your votes

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
It was nice to catch you on a rare foray into DC band phone this morning!

Oddly enough, whilst I don’t need the Cloud contacts to it are not all that common: it is out of reach on 2m FM and oddly difficult on SSB so most of my contacts have been on the lower bands.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom i called you and heard you but was very weak.It was totaly my fault due to me having my G5RV down for repair .I was trying a small dipole and the internalatu on the rig would not tune it.The SWR was way over the top.Thanks 73 Geoff G6MZX

Should be able to work you in any of the 2m, 70cm or 6m Tuesday night contests Brian - put them in your diary!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Wow! Amazing that this summit could still be rare or elusive for
someone!

Well, I’ve been chasing less than a year, and The Cloud seems to be at a tricky distance from my QTH. On several occasions I’ve listened to chasers calling both The Cloud and Gun (which is a few miles closer to me) and not been able to hear the person on the summit. Shining Tor and Kinder Scout are only a few miles further away, but they’ve both been easy 40 metres contacts. My contact with someone on Gun was an even scratchier 80 metres contact than this morning’s.

So yes, thanks for the new summit and the point. :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

With reference to Mike DJ5AV’s comment above, I will do 40m CW then 40m SSB tomorrow morning if votes continue to flood in at the current rate (zero).

But a couple of votes could change all that!

Remember that you have to pick bands that I can do, listed in the first post above. Correspondents, especially those in the Northamptonshire area, should refrain from deliberately ignoring this constraint…

Tom M1EYP

Place your votes

In reply to M1EYP:

This isn’t a vote, but it would be interesting to see what (if anything!) you could work on 60m that early!

Brian G8ADD