VK3/VS-004 (Mt Langi Ghiran) activation

This was my first activation of a summit that had no walking track to the top. The area around the mountain had suffered through heavy rain about a year ago, so in driving up, I was unable to even reach the car park. The car bottomed out in the erosion on the road, so I turned the car around and left it on the side of the road. This proved to be about 400m from the car park.

From there, the track heads out to the east side of the mountain, and climbs about 250m in height, but tops out about 150m vertical metres below the summit. There is a rock cairn marking a spot to leave the track and head up the side. The going was reasonably easy with a bit of a pad warn into the grass. Good footwear is needed as much of it is walking up the side of large boulders.

I was worried about being able to peg the antenna in near the summit, but I found a spot nearly right at the top where I was able to setup.

Most of my time was spent on 20m where I was able to get into Europe quite easily. It was not so good for VK3 chasers, as I think that the skip zone covered most of Victoria. I dropped down to 40 for a few VK3 operators, and with time getting late, I would have a little go at CW on 20.

Given SSB was getting into Europe, clearly CW was going to be able too, so I should have expected a pile up. My CW is still in the early stages of development. I can copy 20wpm in simulated QSOs at home, but it is harder in the summit environment.

Given that if I can get into Europe, a pile up is a certainty, in future I think I have to work split, otherwise with 10 or even more operators coming back, it simply becomes a wall. I tried split today, and G4SSH picked it up and logged the QSO. I was getting cold and my hand was starting to shake on the paddle, so it was time to pack up. I still had to get down to the track about 1km from the summit, and I didn’t want to do that without a proper torch.

Next time, I’ll try operating split, listening up 1 or 2, but I think that I will at least have a better chance of working the pile-up.

Regards,
Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:

Many thanks for the VK3/VS-004 QSO this morning Wayne and I am delighted to be the first UK station in your SOTA log.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:

Hi Roy,

It was a pleasure to work you after bouncing off the CW wall. As noted in my log, I should have sent you a 539, rather than parroting back the 339, but by then perhaps the cold was starting to get to me as I was simply thinking 39.

In reply to VK3WAM:

Well done Wayne for getting the ball rolling glad you made some dx qso’s.
Anytime you want some cw pratice sing out . Ive worked a few pile ups over the years it gets hectic at times. 73
de Ian vk5cz

In reply to VK5CZ:
Hopefully at some stage I will get some antenna up at the home QTH for HF. At the moment, my only HF capability is either on a summit, or doing some portable op for Keith Roget Memorial Nat Parks award or something similar. So it is either simulated QSOs on a computer, or real ones from a SOTA summit.

I had a go today at working the pile up on VK3/VC-019. Apart from one station that went missing, I seemed to be able to make a go of it. There were around 10 stations calling, but it seemed to work ok, even without going split. My FT-817 has a 500hz filter in it, so that helps as I use the RIT to move around the pile up.

I ended up going QRT when it started raining. Sorry for those who missed out. I seem to get into Europe during the mid to late afternoon ok on 20m so there should be many future chances to pick up vk3 summits into peoples’ logs.

Regards,
Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:

One of the many good things about having SOTA running in VK is that it brings it to the attention of the Japanese.

Richard
G3CWI

Hi Wayne,

Good activation reports.

Do you have a VK3 ARM? I have noticed that there is no VK3 ARM on the SOTA website.

Jimmy 2E0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

There is one on my pc, Jimmy - Wayne is the Manager !

73 Peter TJE+

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Hi Wayne,

Good activation reports.

Do you have a VK3 ARM? I have noticed that there is no VK3 ARM on the
SOTA website.

Jimmy 2E0EYP

I have a copy of the last submitted ARM draft, which is consistent with the SOTA database. I presume that the MT will approve the ARM in due course, but all good things take time. The most important thing is that VK3 is on the air.

There is a copy of the draft VK3 ARM at the SOTA_Australia yahoo group file sections.

Regards,
Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:

Thanks Wayne for the activity although I was one of the EU callers who didn’t made it. You were quiet weak but copyable with several callers when You went QRT. Hope we’ll have more luck next time :wink:

73 & gl,

Axel Schernikau, DL6KVA

Hi Wayne,

I suggest you email the VK3 ARM to Jon GM4ZFZ and he will submit the VK3 ARM onto the SOTA website.

Jimmy 2E0EYP