VK1 to EU & UK

I had the luxury of a full 15 Watts, Phil :slight_smile:
No doubt Andrew will be running a lot more from the summit today.

73, Gerard - VK2IO

2 Likes

Hi all,
Andrew you had nice sigs on 40m and 20m on my single windom FD4 antenna !
Thanks new summit :+1:
73 Éric

I heard you go through Eric, well done. Heard an occasional word from Andrew when he was on 14320 at around 0700z, called him once, then he faded. Now Andrew on 14.315 good freq no sigs whatsoever on Hexbeam - time 0715z. He might come again, plenty time yet…

73 Phil

1 Like

Phil still on 14.315 :+1: 55 56 working EA2DT

No propagation Eric to support a QSO with VK1AD to NE England this morning Eric. I did call Andrew just the once when I heard a CQ SOTA coming through clearly on 20m. On 40m I gave up listening when an Italian station came on working stations which eradicated any possibility of hearing Andrew there.

73 Phil

Hi Phil,took the hex beam down before it fell down.Always found the A3S better
on rx but of course lesser bands.Pleased to say after putting the trusty A3S back up after a refurbishment made it with Andrew this Morning,tnx Andrew.73 Don G0RQL.

2 Likes

That Italian station was so annoying Phil as he never even asked if the frequency was in use then continued whistling for his dog…
I heard Andrew coming through for about ten mins but a german station 2 kc up made it difficult

No joy from G/TW-002. Heard you (Andrew) once when you were working a German station on 20m, but too faint to work. Also heard a ZL3, but didn’t try and work him. 40m was just too noisy to stand a chance

Waiting for my bacon butty now :wink:. Thanks for trying!

1 Like

Very good Don, I reckon it was the 250-300 mile distance north rather than the antenna that made the difference. I won’t forsake the 17m and 12m WARC bands for a trapped tribander as I still need a few DXCC countries on those bands (17m 327 / 12m 315 confirmed). I’d prefer an Optibeam full size like a 9-5 or 11-5 even to the Hexbeam but my neighbour reaction would be immediately dramatic! You’ll read an interesting article about how I got planning permission on appeal initially and a second planning application for the Hexbeam in next months CDXC Digest.

My Hexbeam has been up 2.5 years now without a problem, although where we live now is more sheltered than where we lived in open country one mile away until late 2016, so it doesn’t get much of a battering here from the wind.

Well done on the QSO with Andrew, not possible here.

73 Phil

Hi Eric,

Yes, that’s certainly the callsign, I think conditions tonight were even better. I called in at Mt Ainslie to see Andrew VK1AD as he was finishing his activation. He can provide the stats but the smile on his face told the story!

And Herbert emailed him a recording of his signal as received in Austria. Pretty special!

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Hi Andy, I listened for you on 14.310 numerous times but no joy. Don’t give up, I will try again soon.

Enjoy the bacon butty :slightly_smiling_face:

73 Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Hi all it’s 8:15 pm here in Canberra, just arrived home. I will write up an activation report tomorrow. Thanks all for the QSOs, no points for me but loads of bragging rights.

Amazing long path propagation on 20m, 40m was very noisy at my end. I did hear Mike 2E0YYY on 7.181 MHz, I called S2S but no luck.

73 Andrew VK1AD

What’s the situation with adding a 6 Mb video to this site? Video is not permitted?

I’d like to share the video from Herbert.

Andrew VK1AD

It may be as simple as adding the file extensions and upping the limit on post sizes, but before I go trying that out, it’s going to be quicker to upload to YouTube (unlisted if you just want to link to it), and post the link here

Hi Andrew @VK3ARR
I know you are busy :wink:
How about posting only an MP3 file to read ?
73 Éric

Just for documentation. Cond also better then the past days/weeks

SFI is slightly increased versus the recent 69 +/- 1

1 Like

Hi all

I have uploaded the activator log from last evening.

Stats from Mt Ainslie VK1/AC-040:

20m DX Window (long path)
0645 UTC to 0745 UTC

DX QSOs (SSB mode)
20m (14.320 and 14.315 MHz): 15
40m (7.130 and 7.150 MHz): 7

VK QSOs
20m: Nil
40m: 6

Countries worked
Russia, Japan, Italy, France, Austria, New Zealand, Germany, Hungary, Spain, Croatia and Columbia, yes Columbia!

VK States
VK2, VK4, VK5 and VK7. With the exception of Mark VK1EM/2 located in NSW, I didn’t receive a call from local VK1 chasers. :slight_smile:

QRN on 40m :frowning:
Nearby storms (1000 km away) were generating S9 QRN. Conditions on 40m made weak signal reception very difficult. I spent too long on 40m, I should have dedicated that time to 20m CQs.

For those interested, I maintain a VK1 SOTA DX stats page.

The purpose of the page is to share knowledge with budding SOTA DX activators/chasers. I have clearly demonstrated the ability to take advantage of the DX propagation grey line during a 90 minute window before VK east coast sunset. Activators in Europe who would like to work VK chasers or VK S2S can take advantage of the same UTC window, 90 minutes before VK sunset. As VK approaches the middle of summer, the 90 minute window will be later each day.

Thank you to the successful chasers and others who listened or called. When the weather permits, I plan to activate more VK1 SOTA peaks during the DX grey line.

73 Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Great to work you Eric on both 40 and 20m, thanks for sticking with me :slight_smile: Conditions on 20m were excellent for long path. Mt Ainslie 20m noise floor is low however I did get the occasional blast of S9 over horizon radar.

I look forward to offering more VK1 summits for EU chasers to pursue.

73 Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Excellent effort in a sunspot minima.

Ron
VK3AFW

Thank you Andrew for this activation … I was surprised to make the contact on 20m with my FD3 and 50W … first time I contact Australia. So I have just sent an email to an Australian student who spent 6 months in my lab this year and now come back to her home. She is ready to follow you on your next activation to speak with me :grin:! !!
73, Nicolas

1 Like