VK to GW 20M Qso's- short path

Tuesday 26th Nov 2018 worked both Derek 2W0FLW/P on GW/NW-070 and John MW0XOT/P on GW/MW-014 on 14mhz short path both difficult contacts with weak signals both ways but good enough to exchange signal reports.So a big thank you to both of these Gents for being out in the weather.Being able to now rotate my 3 element yagi I always check for either short or long path and of course being able to peak the signals helps.On the 22nd again short path was able to work Mike 2E0YYY on G/SP-013 with better signals both ways so the HF bands are on the improve.All of these contacts were with 100w and a 3 element yagi so a modest setup here.73.VK3DET.

5 Likes

Hi Ernie,

As we’ve found out, for short path contacts between G and VK right now, the window is small, therefore, timing is everything. Then of course, there’s the QSB to deal with.

SFI 68 and zero sunspots, is far from ideal, however, K is just 1, so that is helping a little.

Thanks for the 20m SP contact this morning…

Mike

3 Likes

Hi Ernie,

Well done. At what time did the short path contact happen? Would be good to know.

The ability to copy signals in noise, so routine for vhf dx operators, is a very handy skill in current conditions.

As Mike said, low SFI means these contacts are not pushovers, but you’ve proven that the path is still there and with the right timing and patience, it can be used.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Hi Andrew the 2 qso’s into GW were at 1105Z and 1137Z on the 26th(13-70-3-0 thats SSN SFI A K) and to Mike 2E0YYY on the 22nd at 1118Z (0-69-5-1)and last night 1104Z (0-69-2-0) I always record the solar numbers at each contact for later reference.So mostly to the UK its about a 45min window maybe lasts longer but last night Mike had to give it away due to antenna probs and wind agree about listening ability is most important and last night with Mike had to give him an honest 3x3 at times QSB improved and he was in the clear def hard going.The K index seems to be the decider 2 not to bad but 3 and over forget it,I have worked Mike in the past at a SFI of 67 but the figures dont tell it all as we have found.I will stick my neck out here and say we seem to have turned the corner especially to Europe s/path our nights, L/path open but not as good lately.All the contacts were at 100w and 3 element yagi but last night to Mike used 400w as I may have made it to Mike but the amp helped him hear me better. 73 Ernie.

1 Like

I worked VK4FJ on 20m this morning at 0935 UTC. Would that have been Long Path or Short Path? I have no way of telling, as I use a non-rotatable wire dipole. There were South American stations coming through at the same time, so I suspect the VK signal was coming from the same direction.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hello Walt for me and understand Im far south from VK4FJ about 1800km from me so hard to know for sure but would think probably S/Path by then -we are now on daylight savings here so 10pm here is 1100Z normally 10hours plus from GMT but 9hours ATM.Not any other G stations on last night although plenty of UA’s/ON/SP etc some G stations in the past week have been S9 plus and have worked some easy.73 Ernie VK3DET.

Hi Walt,

I tend to agree with Ernie. At 0935z its more likely to have been a Short Path contact.

Mike

Hi Ernie,
Impressed that you are keeping those records. Very useful for later analysis or for discussion as occurs here! Those times are consistent with my expectations. Note that we are 11 hours ahead of UTC during DST. So 1130 UTC is 2230 local time, normally would be 2130 local. Your beam is doing good work.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Thanks Andrew senior moment.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I tend to agree that it was probably short path.

Walt (G3NYY)

Tonight 30/11/2018 my time 1100Z worked Mike 2E0YYY/P John MW0XOT/P and Derek 2W0FLW/P on 20M S/path Mike and John were both readability 5 and Derek was harder work but was a real pleasure to chat to Mike where in the past have been difficult contacts.A definite improvement a shame not more contacts for them from this part of the world.73 VK3DET.

1 Like

I did a VOACAP prediction last week for QSOs to VK3 and the prediction seemed to show that both LP and SP would work at around the same time. I have had DX QSOs in the past where multipath was definitely in operation, the effect being a strange echo.

I’m still amazed that we are able to send our signals around the world, I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of our hobby.

73, Colin
IO84RC

Hi Colin.
Yes, I worked VK3XL on 40m yesterday morning (Thursday) at 0941 UTC. Probably coming over the North Pole (SP), because I worked a couple of JA’s a few minutes earlier.
I’ve been chasing DX on the HF bands since the beginning of 1960 and, like you, I have never got bored with it.
:slight_smile:
Walt (G3NYY)

Thanks for the contact and chat onto G/SP-017 Billinge Hill this morning, Ernie. Armchair copy my side. Sorry to have kept you up so late, however, I think one G and two GW contacts was worth the wait. Yep, I’ve got a feeling you’re correct, conditions appear to be on the up.

73 Mike…

2 Likes