VK SOTA to Europe Saturday 7 March

(Off topic, sorry)

By the way, this afternoon, while checking the Elecraft T1 antenna tuner which failed on yesterday activation, with the HB-1B @4watts and a small indoor antenna, I was called by VE2JCW who thought I were activating! (Sorry Jean, was my fault, as the rig memory sent CQ EA2CW/P)…

It was bound to cause a ruckus - Delilah :slight_smile:

For those who don’t have a clue about the reference to Delilah aka 2E0YYY. A singer Tom Jones had a hit, part of the lyrics 'why, why. why…:

Delilah is a symbol of betrayal - eg. Wiki=
"Delilah (/dɪˈlaɪlə/; Hebrew: דלילה‎ Dəlilah, meaning “[She who] weakened”)[1] is a character in the Hebrew bible Book of Judges, where she is the “woman in the valley of Sorek” whom Samson loved, and who was his downfall. Her figure, one of several dangerous temptresses in the Hebrew Bible, has become emblematic: “Samson loved Delilah, she betrayed him, and, what is worse, she did it for money,” Madlyn Kahr begins her study of the Delilah motif in European painting.[2]"
Hence the lyrics in the song.
Back on topic. I think I was the first chaser to work Lebanon OD :sunglasses: Andy as OD5/HB9JOE/P on OD/BE-003.
Night night
Mike

Nice list but still not complete. I have one on the 26th Feb 2014 that I cant see on that list. Seems this is the never ending list of VK/Europe S2S’s.

Compton
VK2HRX

Hi Compton,

26 Feb 2014 07:29z VK2HRX/P 14MHz SSB S2S VK2/NW-001

Apologies, looks like I overlooked adding all s2s for that activation. Yours now added.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Well it wasn’t in the list as it wasn’t in the database at the time, the omission has been fixed. But again it shows how easy it is to get what you asked for rather than what you wanted.

I asked for all the S2S QSOs between someone who is a European activator and someone activating a summit where the ref starts “VK/” and that is exactly what I got. So the DB searched the S2S logs of European activators looking for contacts to VK summits. What I really wanted was a list of all the S2S contacts between EU and VK which is different. That would have returned a QSO between VK1NAM & OE9HRV and a QSO between OE9HRV & VK1NAM, one from each activator’s log. Then I’d have had to figure out how to dedupe the list so VK1NAM<>OE9HRV occurred just once (one QSO appearing in 2 peoples logs). That would have found your missing QSO Compton. I could have been super clever and then produced a list of all the QSOs only found once… that would be a list of all the QSOs where one side had not entered a log for it.

See there’s no bottom to the lake of knowledge that is SQL queries, the answers are in the database, you just have to ask the right questions!

The list omits S2S contacts made by VKs operating portable in Europe. I made 4 S2S contacts from France to Australia last September (3 SSB, 1 CW) using 3W into a ground plane using F/VK2IO/P. It is not just Ed DD5LP/VK2JI who has made S2S contacts in both directions - I think there may be one other VK op who has done it too. So yes, it is not easy to formulate the correct SQL query to get exactly what you want.

Cheers, Gerard - VK2IO/G0ODA

I’ve just looked at my log for Mt.Solus which was 2 weeks ago and I went on 20 metres at 08:00 and the band was open to Europe at that stage. Seemed to die off or I ran out of chasers around 08:40UTC. I’ll be looking a bit earlier this time round.

I’m planning on bringing my Mountain Topper MTR2 and try some CW and maybe even a MTR to MTR with Colin M1BUU and anyone else that has a MTR would be good too. Though happy to work anyone on CW but it will be QRP this time on CW. I will have the Amp on the Ft-718 for SSB. Connecting the MTR to the amplifier defeats the purpose of trying a MTR to MTR contact. My CW isn’t that great so keep your speed down and don’t expect much more than a signal exchange if anyone tries.

I’m also taking Chris VK6FDKR along for his first Sota activation but with his Foundation license he is unable to operate on 20 metres. He is studying for his upgrade.

John VK6NU

Gerard

Excellent point, two of your F S2S were with me:

6-Sep-14 7:08 VK1NAM/P F/VK2IO/P F/AM-461 Mont Vial VK1/AC-048 Mount McDonald
21-Sep-14 7:34 VK1NAM/P F/VK2IO/P F/AM-144 Cîme de la Bonette VK1/AC-037 Mt Taylor

Hopefully this will create additional interest in S2S opportunities between EU and VK, UK weather permitting. :wink:

An excellent discussion backed up by data.

73, Andrew VK1NAM

Then there are the AX and Vi prefixes sometimes used by VK amateurs…

Andrew
vk1da/2uh

Much better version :-

+1 Steve. Can’t beat a bit of SAHB in the morning. :smile:

I find the S2S with USA harder I am yet to bag a yank S2S, worked some on summits from home and I have been contacted by US home station chasers . I think its mostly about the time difference than band conditions or what is the best band at the time of day needed for both ends to qrv. By the way I am almost finished grape harvest so look out the SOTA fever is about to hit me .
cheers Ian vk5cz .

1 Like

We’ll be waiting, Ian!

Hi

Do you have any details of other planned VK activations for the Saturday 0700Z slot? I am thinking about activating somewhere weather permitting.

On ya Mikel our s2s are legendary you overnighting in ski huts to work me early next morning and me hanging onto the fence in the dark to support my bung knee on the way down so I can find my way back to camp. I was letting my xyl know my progress by setting off the flash on my camera so she could see where I was on the side of the hill. we will tell the grand kids about this stuff.

1 Like

Hi John, Chris can operate under your callsign on 20m as long as you are in attendance and he can log that as his contact in SOTA - SOTA logs go by the userid not the callsign. There’s a field that says “callsign you used” I bagged a few SOTA contacts from the CCARC club station VK2AFY and these counted for my SOTA score. It may seem a little strange for the chasers (or S2S stations) working the same call sign twice with a different operator, but it is legal.

73 Ed.
P.S. I’m going to try to get out Saturday morning to DL/AM-001 Piessenberg - Wx and my health (flu) dependant.

Hi Ed,

This is not exactly true. Although as part of your licence you can operate under supervision of another callsign, you cannot use this as way to claim SOTA points. So for example if a foundation licence holder operated under supervision of a full licence holder and used the callsign of the full licence, SOTA contacts would go to the full licence holder, not the foundation licence holder. Claiming SOTA contacts by operating under supervision of another operator is NOT allowed.

Jimmy M0HGY

I must be missing something. In the general rules we have:

11.Activator points accrue to the operator regardless of the callsign used. The operator must be entitled to use the callsign. Multiple operators of the same station may claim activator points. Each individual operator must make the minimum number of QSOs stated above in order to claim Activator points.

which would appear to me to permit it. You might quibble about whether the foundation operator is “entitled” to use the supervising operator’s callsign; this is the kind of thing that lawyers argue about endlessly. There is clearly no blanket entitlement, but at the time the supervisee is entitled to use the callsign by virtue of being supervised in accordance with the licence conditions.

Certainly if this isn’t what is meant, this rule needs clarifying.

The matter was discussed a while ago, here: Third Party SOTA points