VK/G S to S

Robert,
Congratulations on achieving the first VK to G Summit to Summit this morning. I could just hear Wayne, but not well enough to work him. Could not hear you on ground wave or back scatter. Well done Robert and Wayne, your early rise paid off!
Frank

In reply to G3RMD:

Congratulations indeed Robert, & Wayne :slight_smile:

Having been only 20 minutes walk away from being at the UK end of a VP8 to G S2S a couple of years ago, I know how much effort needs to be put in to achieve proper DX S2S contacts.

Another very notable milestone to passed.

Very well done to both parties :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Indeed congratulations, but I wonder who worked Wayne?

Also. Note that Ron VK3AFW was active from the VK-Grampians. Now wouldn’t it be great to work S2S from the ‘original’ GM-Grampians - how about it Barry (GM4TOE) - hi!

73 et al!

Jack (;>J
GM4COX

Oops! Should have read further down the SPOTS listings and noted it was Robert G0PEB. Well done both!

In reply to GM4COX:
Hi Jack,
I managed to scrape a contact with Wayne from my home qth last week. I was using my 80m full wave horizontal loop aerial, which is not the greatest on 20M. I think I need a Rhombic!
Frank

In reply to G3RMD:
It has been some time in coming, and Mike 2E0YYY tried hard to make it happen, but chances were that it would be a CW QSO that would be the first VK3/G s2s. Also, there have been no other Europe/VK s2s yet, so G got in first. It was an interesting activation as with a group of youths in a shelter, with myself outside, but on the sheltered side from the rain, I could hear the stations calling, with usual QSB, but I could barely hear my own side tone, but it appears that what I was sending was at least semi sensible!

Congratulations Robert g0peb/p.

We look forward to more VK/G s2s, and throughout Europe.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

Congratulations Wayne and Robert on achieving the first VK3 to G summit to summit.

Jimmy 2E0EYP

In reply to VK3WAM:

Great to hear you this morning Wayne.

I must admit that I purposefully went out to try and catch you for a S2S, and I was rewarded. Many thanks.
Since I recently started using CW on the summits, it certainly has added a new dimension to my operating experience.

Well done Wayne.

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to G0PEB:

Congratulations on the S2S Robert and Wayne, that is an awesome contact!

Colin
M0CGH

Congratulations to the both of you - truly excellent!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G3RMD:
Very well done indeed.

Congratulations.

I can’t manage that from my home QTH, let alone from a summit :frowning:

In reply to GM4COX:
<Now wouldn’t it be great to work S2S from the ‘original’ GM-Grampians - how about it Barry (GM4TOE)
<

You get me up the hill I will happily use the key to make a contact!!

Barry GM4TOE
Feeling exceedingly grumpy today!!

In reply to GM4TOE:
One day we will have to try a Grampians (Gariwerd) to GM Grampians s2s!

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:
Hi Wayne,
I’m curious; what equipment, antenna and power level are you using on activations? You seem to get out very well.
Frank

In reply to VK3WAM:

Hi wayne,

Well done to both you and Robert on making what is a very difficult contact.

G/VK contacts don’t happen too often and a S2S contact is very special.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G3RMD:

I’m curious; what equipment, antenna and power level are you using on
activations? You seem to get out very well.

I am using a FT-817 running 5 watts into a Z11 pro 2 tuner connected by normally a short run of coax (<1m). Sometimes I use a 10m run like at Mt Donna Buang. On the other side, I have a balun connected to some twin lead (4m) to anther balun at the feedpoint of a vertical that comprises of 75cm aluminum segments screwed together. The feedpoint is 30cm off the ground. I put out 8 6m radials for a ground plane. The antenna is about 6m high.

I have a homebrew tapped loading coil for 40m, but I bypass this on 20.

I use the baluns as although the antenna and tuner are unbalanced, the twin lead is balanced, hence the two baluns. Alternatively, I can run coax from the tuner to the feedpoint and not worry about baluns, but the signal is well down if I do that. Also, I am using a touch paddle, and this is sensitive to any RF that might be around the rig. If I use the baluns, the paddle has no problems with RF. The noise floor tends to be much lower as well with them.

I plan on trying to chase GB10SOTA from a summit later this month, and for that, I might go QRO at least in part with a FT897. If I get out well with a 817, I might have the mother of all pileups if I am at 100 watts into G.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:
Hello Wayne
"I plan on trying to chase GB10SOTA from a summit later this month, and for that, I might go QRO at least in part with a FT897. "
I wonder if that attempt might be next Monday [25 June]? I’m joining Roger MW0IDX on GB10SOTA for a joint activation on Yr Wyddfa GW/NW-001 and hopefully would be not far away from his station working chasers on 2m phone. I’d love the S2S too if I can scramble across to where Roger will be sat! 21MHz?

73 es sd

David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:
I’m going to have to target the 2 July activation, I’m afraid. Hope it’s not too cold and especially raining, as it will be in the mid to late evening here - so it will be conditional on at least reasonable WX

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to G0PEB:

Robert, what’s the paddle in your latest photo?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Looks like a porta-paddle to me Andy.

Colin

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy,

It’s called the DCP ‘Dirt Cheap Paddle’

I’m very pleased with it.

Robert
G0PEB