Vertical loaded EFHW for 30 m?

Hi,

did anybody try a vertical EFHW (endfed halfwave) antenna for 30 m, loaded with a coil to fit on a 5.5 m pole? How does it perform (bad/good)?

I’m looking for small footprint/fast deploy antenna for 30 m.

Axel, DF1ET

Hi Axel
you can do that but why ?
5.5m pole with your normal EFHW (1/2 lamba 30m > 14.84m) antenna take a footprint around 12m at all if you put your antenna in inverted V !
73 Éric

1 Like

Hi Eric,

thank you for your answer!

Reason is: I used a few times a 20m EFHW with loading coil. I liked about this antenna, that I could deploy it much faster (than my 21m wire). This would increase the “woman acceptance factor” . And I would like to have an antenna with small footprint for small summits with many visitors, don’t want to annoy them. I thought, vertical EFHW for 30 would fit both, if the HF performance is good enough.

Axel

1 Like

Hi Axel,
Try it. Only you can decide what is acceptable. It will not be an absolutely amazing DX magnet but might be OK for EU. You only need 4 contacts.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Axel,

As VK3AFW wrote: It might be ok if you’re happy with four QSOs and don’t want to make as many contacts as possible on a summit.

In order to increase efficiency, you could move the loading coil towards the centre/ top. Or maybe try a quarter wave vertical (with loading coil) and a single radial on the ground as a compromise?

73, Roman

1 Like

I have a loaded vertical with single elevated radial for 30m that fits a 5m pole. It works, it lets you make QSOs. It’s a big compromise.

Hi all, thank you for your replies! The truth is, I’m not very happy with only 4 qsos. Sounds like it could be to much a compromise for me…

Axel