Value of a 40m loop for chasers on 20m

Thanks for your reply, Ed.
Here is my setup of the antenna.

grafik

There is a high tree in the center of the loop. Perhaps there is an effect upon the input impedance. But on the other hand my simulation also shows the 50 Ohm with this setup. The tree is not part of the simulation, hi.
Maybe one day I’ll get this staightened out. It works, which is the important thing. And yes, the loop is definitely less noisy compared to the dipole or endfed, which makes a big difference in signal to noise ratio.
Thanks again for your comments on the subject.

Keep on “looping”
73, Peter

Hi again peter - that shape is not far off the shape of my loop as well! It’s a great antenna however one manages to get it installed. As long as you are not close to the tree, I can’t see that affecting the impedance and besides you haven’t included the tree in the computer calculation have you - and that’s also saying near to 50 ohms.

If you run the loop without any Balun or matching coax Q-section and the SWR is good however you’ve done it, you’ve got the antenna to present a 50 ohm impedance!

73 Ed.

A group of us have been experimenting with a “Loop on the Ground” for 40m and 80m receive with surprising results, especially the suppression of local noise (including reception of WSPR from 9M on 40m). Alternative arrangments are needed for transmit of course.
Look here for information: The Loop on Ground Antenna - the "LoG"

1 Like

Barry I agree, for receiving purposes with low noise pickup the loop is definitely the best choice.

Peter

Its spooky how signals tend to pop up with the LOG concept which I have used with NVIS antennas.

Apparently Calfire uses their NVIS antennas on a concrete pad to greater effect than on the grass

John VE3IPS

Probably because a concrete pad of any size needs steel rebar in it to prevent cracking etc!