Using the Satmap Active 10 for SOTA

I bought my Active 10 last April and promised a review. However, rather than do a “first look” review I decided to wait until I had really tested it.

The unit has many published reviews (almost all positive) so I will not go over old ground. I will give my own personal “take” on the unit.

Firstly, if you have been navigating by map and compass for 30 odd years as I have, expect it to take a while to get used to a new paradigm in navigation. I would estimate that it took around three months use to get fully used to using this type of device.

Loading the SOTA summits and parking spots took just a few clicks and after that I really appreciated having all the mapping at my fingertips. The route planning is pretty good, making it fast to set up a route on the fly.

I have used the unit in all types of weather, during the day and at night and have found it 100% reliable (even in densely wooded steep-sided valleys). At night its electronic red-filter system is excellent. I can honestly say that I have done some walks with the Satmap that I would not have been able to do with conventional mapping as the routes involved changes to plans where I would not have had the right map with me.

At first I always carried a paper map but I will admit that over time I have taken them less and less. The Satmap is just such a good tool.

The user interface is simple to master - but has its quirks like any other. The buttons are easy to use even with my winter gloves on. Battery life is brilliant. I have the LiPO pack and it easily lasts all day (I have never got close to running it flat).

Overall, I give the Satmap a big “thumbs up”. It really is great.

http://www.satmap.co.uk/

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
I can’t find a price on the UK website, how much was it with the UK 1:50000 map data?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I bought one about 3 / 4 years ago complete with N England 1:50000 maps and it was, I think, around the £350 mark from Ryedale Rambler.

Not sure of the prices now.

Its a great bit of kit but mine died of natural causes, I dropped it and it smashed. Now using the Colorado with OS mapping but it is not as good

In reply to MM0FMF:
A quick Google produced this:

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.Satmap-Active-10-Plus-GPS-Unit-With-Full-GB-Mapping-1-50-000_5060164270003.htm

Pete M0COP

In reply to G3CWI:

But when you get old and myopic (I resemble the remark) can you still see the map? I print my 1:50000 maps out at least 1 1/2 times size just for that reason.
Being a confirmed Luddite, who does not trust his life to technology, I would not recommend being without a map and compass as back-up when on the hills (I do have a GPS though!)

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

I print my 1:50000 maps out at least 1 1/2 times size just for that reason.

Only 1.5x? Beginner! I have to print them at 2x!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GM4TOE:

I print my 1:50000 maps out at least 1 1/2 times size just for
that reason.

Only 1.5x? Beginner! I have to print them at 2x!

Andy
MM0FMF

I print mine big enough to place over the mountain, and then walk on the paper path.

73, Frank

In reply to MM0FMF:

Waste of time. I carry a magnifying glass!

I shudder at the thought of people going out with nothing more than a satnav, what happens if (when) it fails…on the other hand, I have had maps blow away! They can be impossible to find in a sea of heather, so the best plan is to memorise the route.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Slightly off the original topic but ever since I lost my map whilst descending Ben Vorlich (the loch lomond one and I always keep the map tucked into my rucksack straps and it just fell out and I didn’t notice), now I always attach the map via cord and one of those mini-krabs to the rucksack. Never lost one since (touch wood) and to get back on topic I’m sure the same method could be used for a Satmap/gps as they are a bit more expensive to lose than a map.

Iain, MM3WJZ

In reply to G8ADD:

I shudder at the thought of people going out with nothing more than a
satnav, what happens if (when) it fails

Or when the nice man in the White House turns the Sat system off.

Colin G8TMV