US regulator FCC to introduce digital modes practical test for amateur...

3 Likes

I particularly liked the also mentioned fines for inaccurate RST reports :smile:

On April 1, 2020, painting images of SSTV Robots36 transmissions from listening using crayons or watercolor will be added.

1 Like

Anything that includes Make XXX Grate again has the high potential to grate again.
The last thing we need is lowered spurious emissions requirements. That’s great work on someone’s part known and double speak. I’m not sure if the intent is to reduce spurious emissions – a good thing – or to soften the targets that must be met. If it’s a $35.00 radio I can except the end result will be “regulation of spurious emissions from these radios do not apply,” or “spurious emissions shall be reduced to the minimum level as practical for the materials used in construction of the radio.”
We have too many spurious emissions emanating from Washington DC as it is.
So long as the regulations read, for inexpensive radios, “spurious emissions shall be constrained within a.05 MHz + -,” we’ll be in business.

Some of us happen to like the idea of making “XXX Grate again” as you put it. Don’t forget, not everyone thinks exactly the same as you or I.

Very clever Razvan presses just the right buttons ! Thanks for sharing :rofl:

1 Like

Sure, but do you believe such proposals are good for Amateur Radio?
I know these don’t come from the executive’s office but from bureaucrats on the line who pass out regulations like workers on an assembly line.
If the intent here is to tighten emissions and reduce the associated interference, I’m all for it even if it drives the price up five dollars.
What use is Amateur Radio if we’re plagued with interference on the bands and inconsistent products on the market?

Many voices have been saying yesterday that it’s not fair that a cheap and cheerful Baofeng should have to meet the same restrictions as fancy Kenwoods or Motorolas that cost 20x as much, with all their expensive filters and engineers with pompous titles and qualifications. They’ve sunk millions in all kinds of signal generators and spectrum analysers and whatnot and they’re paying those geeks a ton of money, so now they’re trying to get their money back by selling 600 dollar handhelds with complicated sounding acronyms and ratings. What about the regular little guy, that can’t afford that, shouldn’t he get a chance ?

Anyway, this was mostly yesterday, for some reason the voices have stopped now.

Hmm … the 2nd of April is overruling the comments from the 1st April. That’s at least what fool’s day suggests :rofl:

Will it be retrospective? I hope so…

Was this an April Fools joke? I hope not, given the seriousness of the matter.

Razvan,
to your point, this builds on the legitimate question of the FCC opening a new class for young people – to get them interested and involved --, and to drastically change another licensing requirement at the behest of a membership group --it increase their membership – which is the wrong step to protect amateur radio. More operators using poor quality transceivers will not be satisfactory in our community.

Hi Victor,

yes, I’m afraid both the article and my reply earlier today were part of an April Fool’s joke, I hope you didn’t take it very seriously :slight_smile:.

:grin::rofl::sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::confounded:

I’m a strong believer that every joke and prank needs a straight man!!!

2 Likes