Untzueko Harria EA2/NV-101 by EA2IF/P on 27/05/2020

This is the location of this summit to the South of Pamplona:
>Esta es la ubicación de esta cima al Sur de Pamplona:

I had only activated this summit once and it was quite a long time ago, April 2014. Later, an error on the prominency calculation took this summit out of the SOTA list, but the error was found and corrected, so this summit got reinstated some months ago, in 2019, IIRC.
I very much wanted to activate this summit again and it finally happenned today.
>Había activado esta cima solo una vez y fue hace bastante tiempo, Abril 2014. Más tarde, un error en el cálculo de la prominencia sacó esta cima de la lista SOTA, pero el error fue encontrado y corregido, así que esta cima fue reincorporada hace algunos meses, en 2019, si no recuerdo mal.
Tenía muchas ganas de activar esta cima de nuevo y finalmente ocurrió hoy.

This is the GPS track I followed starting at the village of Untzue.
>Este es el track GPS que seguí empezando en el pueblo de Untzue.

The elevation profile shows accurately a gain of about 350m but the distance is not correct, as it shows less than 2Km to get to the summit, when it actually is 3.2Km.
El perfil de elevación muestra con precisión una ganancia de unos 250m, pero la distancia no es correcta, pues muestra menos de 2Km para llegar a la cima, cuando realmente es de 3,2Km

After finding a nice parking place near the village Town Hall, we started our hike by 08h42z and the path was clear and easy to follow.
>Tras encontrar un buen sitio de aparcamiento cerca del ayuntamiento, empezamos nuestra subida para las 08h42z y el camino era claro y fácil de seguir.

Soon we got into the forest and it was really nice to hike in the fresh shade of the trees:
>Pronto nos adentramos en el bosque y fue realmente agradable ascender por la fresca sombra de los árboles

I loved this tunnel. It looked so perfect that one can think it’s a man made one, but it’s natural:
>Me encantó este tunel. Se veía tan perfecto que uno puede pensar que está hecho por el hombre, pero es natural:

After passing through the natural tunnel, it was time for a selfie:
Después de pasar por el tunel natural, fue momento para un autoretrato:

The track continued through the forest and mostly in the shade:
>El sendero continuó a través del bosque y mayormente en la sombra:

Lucho is black and he doesn’t like much being in the sunshine, so he enjoyed this shady ascent very much:
>Lucho es negro y no le gusta mucho estar al sol, así que disfrutó mucho esta ascensión sombría:

And we finally got to the rocky wall:
>Y finalmente llegamos a la pared de piedra:

Fortunately there is a path through some very narrow slots, so there’s no need to climb the rocky wall:
>Afortunadamente hay un paso a través de unas muy estrechas ranuras, así que no es necesario escalar la pared de roca:

Finally, a couple of sections where some scrambling was needed, reason why I forgot to take photos, and the summit was reached at 9h32, after a 50 minutes ascent:
>Finalmente, un par de tramos donde fue necesario trepar un poco, razón por la que olvidé tomar fotos, y alcanzamos la cima a las 9h32z, tras una ascensión de 50 minutos:

From the very summit, I immediately spotted a close secondary summit with a very convenient metal thing firmly installed on the rock and I thought it would make a perfect support for my fishing rod while letting me stay away of the summit in case other hikers arrived during my activation, which was actually the case.
>Desde la misma cima, vi inmediatamente una próxima cima secundaria con una cosa de metal muy conveniente, firmemente instalada en la roca y pensé que sería un soporte perfecto para mi caña de pescar, mientras que me permitiría estar lejos de la cima en caso de que otros montañeros llegasen durante mi activación, como fue realmente en caso.

The metal thing was a section of squared tube, so I put the fishing rod in a corner inside it and filled the gaps with a randow collection of rocks I found around:
>La cosa de metal era un trozo de tubo de sección cuadrada, así que puse mi caña de pescar en una esquina interior y rellené los huecos con una colección aleatoria de piedras que encontré alrededor.

The fishing rod kept firmly in vertical position without needing any guying at all.
The setup got finished with my 10m long endfed wire as a sloper to a 9:1 unun with 6m of counterpoise wire slightly elevated:
>La caña de pescar se mantuvo firmemente en posición vertical sin necesitar ningún arriostramiento.
La instalación quedó terminada con mi cable de 10m de largo alimentado en el extremo como una sloper hasta el unun 9:1 con un cable de contraantena de 6m ligeramente elevado:

I was going to start my activation on 10m, but found the band very noisy. Other bands were having that same type of man-made QRM, but it wasn’t that bad as I lowered in frequency. 28MHz was the noisyest.
>Iba a empezar mi activación en 10m, pero encontré la banda muy ruidosa. Otras bandas tenían ese mismo tipo de QRM artificial, pero no era tan malo según bajaba en frecuencia. 28MHz era la más ruidosa.

The activation went like this:

• 30m CW: 11 QSOs in 18 minutes, 3 of which were S2S. Another one was with a GMA summit.

• 40m CW: 17 QSOs in 22 minutes, 1 of which was a S2S.

• 20m CW: 23 QSOs in 44 minutes, 1 of which was a S2S and 1 was a DX with the USA.

• 40m SSB: 21 QSOs in 16 minutes.

>La activación fue así:

• 30m CW: 11 QSOs en 18 minutos, 3 de los cuales fueron SaS. Otro fue con una cima GMA.

• 40m CW: 17 QSOs en 22 minutos, 1 de los cuales fue un SaS.

• 20m CW: 23 QSOs en 44 minutos, 1 de los cuales fue un SaS y 1 fue un DX con los EE.UU.

• 40m SSB: 21 QSOs en 16 minutos.

This is the full log with 72 QSOs, 5 S2S and 1 DX with the USA:
>Este es el log completo con 72 QSOs, 5SaS y un DX con los EE.UU.

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

By the time I finished the activation, a mountain runner arrived to the summit. He explained me that the competitions were all in stand-by due to Covid-19 and we did what he could to trainning and keeping fit. I was dismantling and packing up while we were talking and once he saw me with all my SOTA stuff at my back, he very kindly offer me his help and decided to come with me during my descent of the few complicated scrambling rocky sections, just in case I might need some help. I actually didn’t need it, but it really was very kind of him. A true gentleman. After these few complicated sections I continued my descent with Lucho, the dog, and this man returned to the summit where he was planning to have his lunch enjoying the beautiful views like these ones I took before leaving:
>Para cuando terminé la activación, un corredor de montaña llegó a la cima. Me explicó que las competiciones estaban suspendidas por la Covid-19 y él hacía lo que podía para mantenerse entrenado y en forma. Yo estaba desmantelando y empacando mientras hablábamos y cuando me vió con todas las cosas de SOTA a mi espalda, él me ofreció muy amablemente su ayuda y decidió venir conmigo durante el descenso de esos pocos tramos de trepa complicados, en caso de que yo necesitase ayuda. En realidad no la necesité, pero fue realmente muy amable por su parte. Un verdadero caballero. Después de estas pocas partes complicadas, seguí mi descenso con Lucho, el perro, y este hombre volvió a la cima donde tenía planeado comer disfrutando las bonitas vistas como estas que tomé antes de marcharme:

I enjoyed very much this activation with this very nice sunny and warm day.
Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.
>Disfruté mucho esta activación con este muy agradable, soleado y cálido día.
Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs.
Estaré esperando volver a copiarles pronto a todos ustedes desde una cima.

Guru

15 Likes

It looks like a very pleasant hike and activation with some great views. :slight_smile:

30 metres was quite tricky from here, with your signal only a bit above the noise (my long-wire antenna doesn’t help with the noise level), and a little QSB to make life interesting. On 20 metres at the peaks of the slow QSB your signal was much stronger (and my hexbeam does a much better job than the long-wire even when it’s pointing at the hillside behind the house), but the QSB was much more extreme.

Thanks for the activation. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Rick, for your calls and 2 QSOs. I wasn’t 100% sure of your name, but I decided to call you Rich. Now I see I was 75% correct. Not too bad!
I copied you very well on both bands.
The activation was very nice, although the problem was the operating position too exposed to sunshine without any trees providing some shade, so the back of my neck and arms are looking today pretty much like those of an English or German tourist in Mallorca :wink:

Guru

2 Likes

Hi Guru…really enjoyed your report and photos. A great selfie…you look well. 73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Very nice looking summit! Good work. Nice to work you from G/WB-013 on 20m last week. 73

1 Like