Unique Trig Station Photos

From your activation adventures does anyone have any ‘unique’ Trig Station photos demonstrating a unique approach to Trig construction or the placement of a Trig station. Here is a photo of VK2/ST-006 South Black Range stone Trig station perched on top of a massive (house-size) granite Tor.

73, Andrew VK1AD

19 Likes

I like the very handy ladder that only goes half way up, leaving a bit of a boulder problem to reach the Trig.

8 Likes

There are photos of a few interesting trig points/stations on wikipedia but the vast majority of them here in the UK are standardized as either concrete or stone pillars erected by the Ordnance Survey.

2 Likes

At the link is my collection of Trig stations visited since 2013. In parts of New South Wales (VK2) the concrete pillar Trig design was a popular implementation.

Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

An atrocity, over the wall of the ‘Castillo de la Culebra’ (9th century) in Alange is a SOTA summit EA4/BA-078

4 Likes

Here in the Northeast USA, many of the survey triangulation stations set by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey are bronze disks set flush in rock outcrops at or near the highest point of the summit. Occasionally the mark would be set in existing structure, or an existing structure would be used as a target triangulation point. This is a photo of Albert Smiley Memorial Tower at Skytop, Lake Mohonk, NY, SOTA Summit W2/GC-118.
Mike, WB2FUV

5 Likes

Pente Pyrgoi (Five Towers) SV/MC-071 with my friend Christos-SV2OXS. There were more than five when we were there…
de Etienne-K7ATN

5 Likes

This is the Trig Point on Watch Croft G/DC-007. It has a useful hole in the top for a mast but to reach it you have to climb over the ankle-breaking boulders.

3 Likes

G/LD-056 Whitbarrow - Lords Seat is a chunky one!

4 Likes

The trig point on GM/SS-154, West Lomond is intact but the hill is eroding away underneath it.
Andy
MM7MOX

6 Likes

I admire your incredible boulder but am glad to say we usually try to make our trig points a little more accessible over here - but we do want to make sure they don’t blow away!

This was taken in October 2018 but I should think it is still on there - on G/SB-001 The Cheviot in Northumberland.
Viki M6BWA

11 Likes

Mangerton (EI/IS-006) comes with a built in but slightly rusty mast.

8 Likes

This is the one on EA6/ME-003. The vertice isn’t particularly unique but the access is a bit sketcky.

5 Likes

Guess the trig contest.

1. Don’t know why they built it so close to the tower. Must make triangulation more difficult.

1. On an island. Bottom rung of the ladder removed, requiring a friction climbing move to gain the trig. We both managed.

2 Likes

Hill of Garvock.
Somewhere in Madeira.

Hill of Garvock its the coast so it wouldn’t need 360 view, just two or three other trigs. It’d have a good view to Turin Hill, probably Brimmond Hill etc. plus other non SOTA trigs.

I’m not sure if the Madeira trigs are the same as mainland Portuguese trigs, I’ll hopefully find out tomorrow when I’m activating :slight_smile:

CT7/M0FMF

4 Likes

This sneeky round column trig overlooking Mull on Glas Bheinn

was GM/WS-330 until re measured and found to be overshadowed by the adjacent hillside.

And became a lost first activation for me.

5 Likes

CT3/MI-006. I conquered that very crux :rofl:

4 Likes

Not a particularly unique trig, but definitely a unique activation (so far)

1 Like

Allthough not the official trig point, for a few days earlier in the year, Frosty was the highest point on Helvellyn (G/LD-003)…

73 Dave

17 Likes

Sguman Coinntich. Eroding from the bottom.
https://sotl.as/summits/GM/WS-132

10 Likes