Ukraine Summits

Help please. Can someone please explain what the significance is of all the question marks before the word in brackets? (they appear both in the ARM and the database). Is the word in brackets the summit name. I can see that where there is no name, the summit height has been used instead.

Thanks, Mike

In reply to G4BLH:

Cyrillic fonts. Or the lack of them!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I don’t pretend to understand the way it all displays, but should’nt UTF-8 take care of that or are you talking about missing fonts on my computer ?

Regards, Mike

In reply to G4BLH:

Ah well once you leave the confines of ASCII anything can happen! Or more simply put, if computing had been developed where non-Roman alphabets are used instead of the UK/USA then we’d be trying to get a Roman font to display on a Cyrillic/Kanji/Chinese/ website. :wink:

Sometimes the characters don’t display due to missing fonts. Sometimes the browser doesn’t know the encoding. More often than not, some piece of software somewhere along the line doesn’t support anything which doesn’t fit into 7-bits and just truncates the characters.

I do recall reading something about this on the reflector, so hopefully it will get fixed at some (not too distant) point in the future.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4BLH:

Unfortunately, Cyrillc letters doesn’t appears neither in UTF-8, nor in ASCII. The MT is aware about this problem. There was an attemp to create the data base file in UTF-8 (the file is shown now), but it looks as a set of '?'s for me too. I see all the Cyrillic in this file at my computer, but it’s disappearing when I trying to open the site data base.

73! Alex UT4FJ