TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold

I have activated TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold a couple of times and I have to say that it’s not the best SOTA I have done. It can quite difficult to get the needed four contacts to claim the activator point and those who know me or have worked me know that Im not a hit and run activator and I like to spend time on the summit. Apart from the time I activated NP-008 Great Whernside (7 contacts) in gale force winds. Phil 2E0PHL is testament to this as I met him on my descent and his daughter could barely stand up!

Anyway, back to the subject. The SOTA rules state:

Operation from vehicles is not permitted and the method of final access to the Summit must be “person powered”, e.g. hiking, mountain biking.

So activators are supposed to park their car on a dangerous twisty 60 m.p.h road at the bottom of Garrowby Hill and walk/cycle to the summit? When I activate TW-004 I like everyone else drive up the hill and I park in the layby with the trig point on my left and I walk around the minor road to the left (less traffic noise) and I operate from there.

I know of several operators who like this summit as its within easy reach for them and I await the backlash but the bottom line is that is activating TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold breaking the rules and if so should/will it be removed?

In reply to 2E0FSR:

I await the backlash but the bottom line is that is

activating TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold breaking the rules and if so
should/will it be removed?

Firstly, we need more summits, not less, so let’s leave TW-004 alone.

If you read the rules, you will find that the final ascent must me person powered, but it doesn’t define any distance for the final ascent.
In reality, if you park in the layby and take 3 steps from your vehicle, you have 100% complied with the rules. I think MT had wisdom to leave this rule “open” to interpretation because of the safety issues concerning summits such as TW-004.

Carry on enjoying your activations there, provided that you are not using your vehicles main battery to power your equipment, you are doing it correctly and in the spirit of sota.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Chris,

I agree with Mike. The issue is whether ASCENT is required to the position that the activation takes place. Rule 3.7.1.3 refers to ACCESS and does not specify ascent. Therefore the final approach can be up, level with or even down from where you park the car as long as the access to the activation position is person powered.

No backlash as there is nothing wrong in what you are doing.

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

I agree dont want to lose any SOTA but surely taking the train up NW-001 Snowden and walking to the summit is similar to driving up TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold?

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Chris, like the rules and gw0dsp Mick say’s, just as long as you walk in the area, you will be ok, i know this summit is an awkward summit as ive activated it once. i dont think i would be running back to this one for the 1 point, This one as well as g/tw-005 Normanby Top can be done from stepping 3 steps out of the car, go on get it activated, 4 and runs not bad, if you cant get out, then you cant get out, dont forget you can always go back again and again, as the hill will always be there,
enjoy the activation sorry wont be able to take as going to bed,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to 2E0FSR:

I agree dont want to lose any SOTA but surely taking the train up
NW-001 Snowden and walking to the summit is similar to driving up
TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold?

Basically it all comes down to a matter of conscience and what the individual can physically manage. If I were to take the train up Snowdon, I would consider that I had not carried out the activation within the spirit of the rules - technically not incorrect, but being able-bodied and able to make the ascent without assistance, I would be effectively bending the rules. For a disabled person that wanted to activate Snowdon, taking the train and making the final approach under their own power would be a reasonable approach.

With respect to TW-004, there is no other logical approach other than the one that you have described. If you feel that this doesn’t challenge you sufficiently, then leave the car a couple of miles to the north up the minor road and walk in that way. Much safer than parking at the bottom of the hill.

73, Gerald

In reply to 2E0FSR:

In reply to GW0DSP:

I agree dont want to lose any SOTA but surely taking the train up
NW-001 Snowden and walking to the summit is similar to driving up
TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold?

Exactly Chris!! As I said earier 3 steps will do, as a matter of fact 1 step would comply with the rules!!

My local summit NW-062 has parking at the summit and what I do to satisfy myself, is a circular walk of the summit area of approx 300 metres, you could do similar at TW-004, although there is no need to do that to comply with the rules.

Just carry on as you are and enjoy your activations in the knowledge that you are complying 100% with the rules.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G4OIG:

Its not the matter of not being challenging enough just a little confused by the rules of ascending. As for challenging myself, I did the double of Horse Head Moor (now defunct) and Fountains Fell only 10 months after being diagnosed with cancer.

Some who have worked me know I was diagnosed though I kept it quiet. Luckily three operations and nine weeks of chemotherapy worked wonders. The good news is that I am improving all the time :slight_smile:

Which reminds me, can I please order some good weather for Sunday 6th July this year as Im 40yr old and its VHF NFD!

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about the serious health issues. It is good news that you are improving. The combination of HHM and Fountains Fell are no mean feat in anyone’s book, so the achievement is so much more given your situation.

As for 6th July, I will ask my son - he will be 25 on that day and he must have put his order in by now. Family arrangements have always played havoc with VHF NFD.

73, Gerald

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Hi Chris

While the train is only going half-way up Snowdon I’m sure using it would be completely within the spirit of SOTA! Although the first day of running is the last day of winter bonus so only a small window of opportunity there…

73 de Paul G4MD