Trying PMR 446 from G/SP-004

If anyone is interested in a bit of fun, I’ll be taking my unmodified Cobra PMR 446 Handys to G/SP-004 tomorrow. My only concession will be a fresh set of alkaines. If you wish to try some DX on your “unmodified” PMR set, please give me a call. At 1834ft, some decent DX should be possible. Looking to use channel 7 or 8, will try for about 0830 utc.

The SOTA points will be available on 145fm a little later.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What callsign will you be using, Mike?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What callsign will you be using, Mike?

Not thought of that, Walt!

2E0YYY should be OK…I think? Then again, M6MMM may attract a bit more attention :wink:

BTW, many thanks for G/WB-022 today.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ll try to be on, although 08:30 UTC is a bit early for me! The 4 metre contest is actually NEXT Sunday, 17th July … I had the date wrong. Even if I don’t work you on PMR, I hope to make it on 2m FM later. I’ll probably be on another G/WB summit.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ll try to be on, although 08:30 UTC is a bit early for me! The 4
metre contest is actually NEXT Sunday, 17th July … I had the date
wrong. Even if I don’t work you on PMR, I hope to make it on 2m FM
later. I’ll probably be on another G/WB summit.

Don’t worry Walt, a S2S from just about any G/WB to G/SP-004 isn’t normally a problem. We can then qsy to to 446 and give it a try if you like, should be very interesting…

Quite looking forward to this. No doubt, it’ll pour down tomorrow, just to dampen my enthusiasm :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I suppose being pedantic you should not really use your amateur callsign as you would be transmitting outside the terms of your licence, but it is up to you.

“Mike on Shining Tor” would probably be more appropriate :wink:

I have a couple of PMR446 radios but knowing their limitations I doubt we would be able to work tomorrow.

Good luck though, I hope the weather stays fine for you :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

“Mike on Shining Tor” would probably be more appropriate :wink:

You have a good point there, Mark.

I have a couple of PMR446 radios but knowing their limitations I doubt
we would be able to work tomorrow.

Well, I’ll listen out anyway Mark, admittedly, without a bit of height, it won’t be too easy.

Good luck though, I hope the weather stays fine for you :slight_smile:

You must be joking!!! When it comes to the weather on Shinig Tor, if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

<… if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all :frowning:

Born under a bad sign - Cream, Wheels of Fire, 1967.

Or aren’t you that old Mike?

I have PMR frequencies programmed in memory on my C520 - just in case no one is in their shack and I need assistance. It still doesn’t guarantee radio back up and I rarely hear anything when I monitor 446. I’ll be interested to see how you get on Mike.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I rarely hear anything when I monitor 446.

Coincidentally, I was scanning PMR446 for a few minutes yesterday from “Chaser Central”. This is a super site for SOTA chasing, well known to the Macc Lads and even the occasional Buxtonite.

I heard nothing at all on PMR446 even though it is LoS to well over 1 million people…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G0VOF:

I suppose being pedantic you should not really use your amateur callsign as you
would be transmitting outside the terms of your licence, but it is up to you.

Applying that logic, if I said “G3NYY here” at the start of a mobile phone call, I would be transmitting outside the terms of my licence!
:slight_smile:

More to the point … does anyone care?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I had just that dilema last week when I was starting training on radio procedures at the radio club. I used PMR446 radios and made up two callsigns in the end (P7D and F5A). The lads soon got the hang of the correct procedures “you’re loud and proud, radio five, I’m pushing two whiskeys and the personal is Reg”…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

and the personal is Reg

“And the personal WOULD BE Reg.” There, I have fixed that for you Richard! :wink:

Andy, MM0FMF
(who’s 20 is now back home)

In reply to G3CWI:
That takes me back!

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

<… if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at
all :frowning:

Born under a bad sign - Cream, Wheels of Fire, 1967.

Or aren’t you that old Mike?

Fraid I am, Gerald. 1967 was the year I left school :frowning:

I have PMR frequencies programmed in memory on my C520 -

Made a few contacts on 446 the best one being Rochdale …about 25 miles. This was achived while I was trying to work Walt G3NYY/P. The lad was just happened to be listening in his bedroom and he came back to my call. He nearly fell of the bed when I told him where I was!

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G3CWI:

“And the personal WOULD BE Reg.” There, I have fixed that
for you Richard! :wink:

“Wots ya ASL? Come back.”

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike I once tried it from Arnside Knott.And got a lady in Milnthorpe who was cleaning caravans on a caravan site.It could be a way of getting people interested in amateur radio ATB Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike I once tried it from Arnside Knott.And got a lady in
Milnthorpe who was cleaning caravans on a caravan site.It could be a
way of getting people interested in amateur radio ATB Geoff

Yes they can be great fun, Geoff. Used them on a canal holiday a few yeras ago. Very useful when operating the lock gates.

Cheers
Mike 2E0YYY