Trig Point question

Hi to all you Trig Point hunters,

I have a wee question or two regarding these trig points.

Say for instance I activate from a summit with a trig point and the TP has the number TP1158 which is a bog standard pillar of the usual shape, you would like to chase the trig point - yes.
Now say I activate from somewhere else that is not a summit but still has a trig point, say TP8921 and is a standard shaped trig - you still want to chase it, yes (I think).
Now say I activate from somewhere else that is not a summit and it doesn’t have a pillar but has a pipe, say TP9495 which according to the list I have is a Hydrographic Survey Station do you still want to chase it?

That is the question. So am I correct in thinking that as long as it has a TP# you are willing to chase it.

Just wondering in case I happen to stumble across one will I might be out walking somewhere soon while I’m on holiday. :wink:

73 Neil

The answer to all your questions Neil is YES please.

73 Glyn

Oh keen!

Glyn, thanks for the reply. If you work it out you might guess where I’m hoping to go of a few days. I can’t promise too much but I will see what I can do. I will post intentions soon.

73 Neil

Not all triangulation stations with TP references are valid in the WAB trig point award scheme. In fact most are not. Generally speaking it is the traditional “pillars” that count, but in a small number of cases a pillar does not count, or a TP reference that does count is not a pillar.

There is inconsistency in the list with regard to now-removed/destroyed “ex-pillars”. Some are still included and have a valid TP reference. For instance, Brown Clee Hill’s pillar was removed some years ago, but it is still listed as a triangulation station on the Trigpointing UK lists. This is included in the scheme and has a valid reference. Sutton Common/Croker Hill’s pillar was removed some years ago, but it is still listed as a triangulation station on the Trigpointing UK lists. This is not included in the scheme and does not have a valid reference.

The definitive list of which points are involved in the scheme can be downloaded from the WAB website. Please note also that the 4 digit numbers on the embossed metal plates on trig pillars DO NOT correspond to the TP references. Hence it is a good idea to make a note of these from the WAB list before setting out.

OK got it I think. The first list I downloaded had 14254 TP# then the Excel sheet from WAB has 6338 TP# so that reduces the TP# where I’m hoping to go down to about 30.

I’m not a Trig Point hunter or chaser so haven’t bothered too much about reading what is what but I do like to have the correct info for the chasers when I’m out and about. Yes I knew the numbers on the plate don’t correspond to the TP reference but the chaser can still find the correct TP# if one doesn’t have the TP# - which I didn’t have at the start of the year.

I will take a list of the TP# with me - you never know.

Hi Tom,
So the trig point scheme is only UK? (and part of WAB). The other week, I was surprised to find a Trig point - labelled TP (no number) and with a alignment cross and a triangle etc. but just a small brick shaped stone - so not easy to see at Irschenhausen DL/BE-094 -

I take it this is of no value in the UK Trig Point chase.

I presume there are TPs across Germany the same as across the UK, perhaps the TP challenge should be global?

73 Ed.

Hi Ed,
The WAB bit tends to limit it to Britain, which it seems includes Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland so the Irish and Continental Europeans TP’s are not included.

That nice stone would fetch a fiver at a flea marked in the UK I reckon, but will it will fit in your backpack? It’s only of academic interest where it is now. You could make a bunch of nice paper weights from it.

Ron
VK3AFW

I found many TP Stones on the top of summits in Germany and several other countries. Sometimes one the exact top and one near the edge of the top with good view to an other marker. I have a big collection of photos from them. They are hard to find but often exact on the SOTA-GPS location. Seems the are not often used, many are overgrown with bushes and grass. Normally there are no numbers on it. Sometimes a sign that it is forbidden to disturb it. In Germany there are also many old border markers on summits, because summits are often old borders like in DM/BW (Baden-WĂĽrttemberg) between Baden and WĂĽrttemberg. Here a photo of a hidden TP on DM/BW-639 from my last trip to BW and three on the border of SP/OM ( OM_ZA-61 SP_BZ-019 ). As you can see: XYL loves SOTA !!!

Bit of a trip hazard in it

Karl

Hmm, I suspect I couldn’t even lift it Ron!.

Ed.

OK on the other comments that the TP chase is part of WAB (as I thought) and hence limited to the UK.

Yes, the “Britain” part of “Worked All Britain” gives you a clue as to the extent of the WAB Trigpoints programme!

Only a clue though. WAB includes Northern Ireland, but I always understood that “Britain” was England/Wales/Scotland. The name of our nation is “The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”. People from Northern Ireland, however, have “British” stated in the Nationality bit of their passport.

“United Kingdomish” doesn’t quite work really does it, so that may be the reason, and I suppose that WAB has more of a ring to it than WAUK.

Hi Tom,

According to Wikipedia, “Britain” may mean the United Kingdom ie Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the other bit, or the island land mass. If the latter is used does that leave out the little islands like Guernsey, Skye, etc ?

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Thanks Tom,
The geographer seems pretty clear as to what is what. Maybe not the same as common usage and political usage but sounds credible. Good enough for me.

Ron
VK3AFW

Well as I say Ron, it can be confusing. People from ALL parts of the UK have nationality stated as “British”. In the Olympics, we compete as Great Britain, but this team is also the team the athletes from Northern Ireland would represent. Except in boxing. In Olympic boxing, there is an All-Ireland team, and a Great Britain team that is just Great Britain (as defined by OS).

Tom,
All OK. Great Britain has a fine sound to it but I’m drawn to The Kingdom of West Celtania although The Isles of Gaul also has a nice sound.

IMO SOTA remains a the most meaningful summit program although the WWFF has gained a lot of traction in VK in the last year. Strange what we do. My Local Radio Club once ran a Worked All Toilets Weekend. Toilet humor abounded and you can guess what the favorite was for writing the log entry on was.

Ron
VK3AFW.

Might be the one and only reason for yearning back to the days of Izal…

Morning Neil
In reply to your question regarding trig pillars, the only trig pillars that are valid for this are the one’s as listed on the trig pillar tracker (over 6000 of them) nothing else can be claimed, the tracker can be downloaded free from the WAB website.

All Sota references next to the trig number on the tracker are ok for activation, any that have a question mark next to them are possibly out of the 30 metre requirement.

Enjoy.
Ken G0FEX

Thanks Ken,

I had downloaded it the other night just hadn’t had time to study it much but have just extracted the list of 30 TP# from the full list. I will plot them on the map and see what I can do.

I just hope if I do get some activated that someone out there will find me on the band, will probably call on 7.160 and see what happens. I can’t get my (getting on in life) phone to accept the passwords to get on the dx cluster I use so will have to wing it and see.

That is if I do actually get away, my plans are set in concrete but it is a very sloppy mix at the moment but I have everything crossed I do go.

73 Neil

Hi Neil
All ok on your plan set in sloppy concrete, the main thing to remember is give out your WAB square so that anyone that works you can log it, this way they can locate you and log it, job done.
Cheers Ken G0FEX