Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party Autumn 2019 (Nov. 2nd).

Working on it and will activate if possible. But that involves a nearly 8-hour round trip drive for me. Will bring QRO radio with ssb capability if activating. I imagine the very cold weather is an obstacle. Excuse the cold weather sloppy code … it is supposed to be down to 25F for me and I’m sure much colder further north.

4 Likes

Crikey that’s minus 3C. Tonight we could get down to +2C but by Saturday afternoon we’re hoping it’ll be up around 10C (50F) here.

I realise the event will be early morning that side of the “pond” and from my EU-VK attempts I know how cold mornings can be!

73 Ed.

1 Like

The EU window is a bit later out here in Arizona…more like 1530 UTC…so hang on a bit if u can in EU!

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to read about your low temperatures and snow stories. I was wearing a T-shirt during my afternoon activation yesterday. Temperatures here are a bit low in the early morning (about 6º C) but very nice by noon (about 20º C). The global warming seems to be not uniformely spread around the globe. The bad side of this is that flies have not yet died here and they were very annoying yesterday during my activation…

Guru

1 Like

If Saturday’s propagation is similar to todays - I would say we will be mostly on 20 metres:

WSPR 40m 1130-1230 (only inside-continental traffic)

WSPR 20m 1130-1230 UTC (Transatlantic to Eastern USA and EU-South America traffic)

WSPR 1230-1330 40 Metres (no transatlantic traffic)

WSPR 1230-1330 20 Metres (even more Transatlantic (East & Mid-USA) and EU- South America traffic).

WSPR 1330-1430 40 metres - still very much only Intra-contintent contacts:

WSPR 1330-1430 UTC 20 Metres - Transatlantic(USA East & Mid) and Africa

WSPR 1500-1600 40 Metres No transatlantic traffic

WSPR 1500-1600 20 Metres - still lots of Transatlantic traffic, now even west coast USA.

Let’s hope the MUF is high enough on Saturday!!

73 Ed.

4 Likes

I will be in for the first time. Normally no chance for me to activate on weekends. This weekend is an exception :grinning: I will activate an easy drive on summit with lot of space for all kind antennas. I will use KX3@15W and portable delta loop antenna. I installed it and tested it in my atrium today.

First test result was encuraging. It is much better DX antenna compared to my fixed horizontal delta loop antenna. So I was happy to chase Bob AC1Z on 14.062 at 15:43z. I could not hear him on my fixed antenna.
Hopefuly weather and band conditions will be OK on saturday.
Good luck and mny s2s QSOs to all participants
73, Mirko S52CU

5 Likes

Nice construction Mirko!
Metal plate with clamps - 2 fishing poles and a painters pole with guys.

It looks very professional! I guess it’s quite directional as well?

73 Ed.

1 Like

It is a wooden plate. Two 7m fishing poles and 21.1 m wire. Bottom fed V shape delta loop. A little too short for 20 m. Radiation pattern for this one is:

and
Better DX performance is on 18 and 21 Mhz band.
Tomorrow will try a little longer wire for better 20 m performance.
Mirko

5 Likes

Completed my 20 meter half square and will be be QRO with IC-706MKII. Hoping I can find two reasonable spaced trees to get the beast up. If its a problem, plan B will be a sloper. Going to be cold 2-3 C. Hoping for reasonable prop condx. GL !

3 Likes

Half squares are great antennas. Good luck and make many contacts.

4 Likes

Hi, We join from Argentina with LUD / TA-020, good contacts!!! 73´s Lw9ecr

7 Likes

…I’m in!
The forecast says more than 10°C and no rain on Sat. afternoon :slight_smile:
QRV from DM/BW-228, Hummelsberg with KX3 and a delta loop on 14 MHz CW. For EU chasers and S2S I’m planning to set up an inverted L for 40m CW.

Hope to cu on Saturday!
73, Roman - DL3TU

1 Like

OK here’s the list of alerts as at Friday 0800 UTC - 16 activators out it appears:

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow
73 Ed DD5LP.

3 Likes

Can’t make it this time due to work and family. GL all. Looks like a very small NA group.

1 Like

I have raised my alert. WX is a bit uncertain with very cloudy sky and a light rain shower from time to time today. There’s a mild probability of rain forecasted by tomorrow afternoon, but I have decided to give it a try anyway. Being my chosen summit a drive-up one, I don’t think the risk of getting too wet will be any high.
I’ll setup with the same 2 elements inverted L EFHW wire I tested earlier this week with great success and I hope we’ll have a really good fun with plenty of S2S and many DX.
My intention is working on 20m band only, prioritizing CW mode but making some incursions into SSB if any interesting S2S or DX chances arise.
HPE TO CU SN.

Guru

3 Likes

Guru,

If you are still on summit for the west coast window I think we have a shot! 1500-1600 maybe…running 40-50W and a dipole this trip.

tnx

Pete
WA7JTM
Arizona

1 Like

Yes, if the wx and my battery hold, I should still be QRV by that time.
I could have an IC-706 with me but I think I won’t because that goes against battery duration with its nearly 1.5 A consumption in RX, so I’ll bring my FT-817ND, which together with the 2 elements inv-L on that summit, already proved itself capable to reach as far as California, should be able to do the job.
Hope to have an S2S with you.

Guru
P.D. it’s raining here now… :frowning:

1 Like

The wx forecast here is hideous :frowning:

3 Likes

Well, at least camping in all-day rain tomorrow will allow the Brits to get nostalgic about their childhood summer holidays.

4 Likes

I will be there too from I/LO-222!
Weather forecast’ll be cloudy and 7 celsius degree.
Good luck activators and cheasers!

1 Like