Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 6th November

We’re getting a growing number of alerts but where are the F,EA,I,OE,HB,EI,OH,LA & SV stations who are often out activating?
At the moment it’s only the UK and Germany representing this side of the pond.

Now if someone could just arrange some good weather …

73 Ed.

4 Likes

It’s still just under two weeks and I’m sure many people are keeping an eye on the weather. Currently we have a warm airstream up from the south-west making it unseasonably warm, but this is likely to break later in the week. Maybe when we have a more accurate outlook for the first days of November, there will be more alerts posted. I am still hoping to be up in Scotland on the day and have several options mapped out for various weather conditions.

4 Likes

I expect and am planning for snow here. It felt cold enough this morning!

Note to others, an Alert is not a commitment rather a hoped for action - you can always say Wx Dependant. It’s good to see around what time people hope to be on.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

I’m working until 2pm that day and won’t be on a summit until at least 1500z. I’d like to take part, but will anyone still be around?

Fraser

2 Likes

Yes, the Americans out further west will just be starting :wink: The limit to European activity is daylight to get off the hills and whether they have frozen themselves silly.

5 Likes

Myself and Dave M0JKS are planning a late-nighter from G/SP-004(Shining Tor). I have been testing the tent today… The kit list is getting a bit scary, but three donkeys should cover it…

9 Likes

good morning I will be there … as someone said in the messages above we wait for the weather to decide which peak to activate I hope to hear from you !!!
73 iw2ogy

2 Likes

Conditions are pretty good right now…I activated 4 peaks in Arizona today and worked Europe from all of them…the last QSO around 2130…all home stations on 20 meters CW.

Of course 2130 is night in Europe (?)…but most QSOs were much earlier.

So Heads Up!

Pete
WA7JTM

3 Likes

Hi pete it is 21:30 it is night in Europe … lately I have worked a few US stations on 15 meters cw around 14:00 utc

3 Likes

Hi Fraser I know my alert might be a bit early for trans-pond, but hope to get a few European S2S first. I’ll probably stay till about 1500, but suspect that will do me. My priority this time was actually to activate Mickle Fell, it’s coincidence that the 6/11 is an open day as well as trans-Atlantic S2S day.

Still wondering whether to lug the 857 up or stick to the KX2. As others have said the weather will have a major influence! I’ve been practicing my tarpology :wink:. Wonder what’s happened to my permit, they were really quick last time?

Good luck all

3 Likes

I’m thinking ft-857d and a vertical for 20m and maybe an end fed for everything else. I want to find a reasonably quick climb with a decent track, as there’s nothing worse than stumbling around on tussocks of grass and bog in the dark. Ben Rinnes GM/ES-021 comes to mind. It’s a popular hill but will hopefully be quiet later in the day.

Why do you need a permit?

Cheers, Fraser

2 Likes

We’re used to lots of rain in these parts but lately it doesn’t seem to want to stop. The ground at my summit’s gonna be very sodden and my tarp’s not going to create the micro climate I need [at my age] with the forecasted rain, wind and low temperature. I’ll practise taking my tent down by headtorch but - call me a cissy- I’ll skip the realism of doing it outside in today’s all-day heavy rain and do it in the living room with the lights out.

3 Likes

Because I don’t want to get shot at by soldiers, artillery and tanks!
Perhaps I should take my camouflage tarp?
:wink:

2 Likes

Ah yes, down the A66. I’ve been past there. Well it would make a good YouTube. SOTA meets Apocalypse Now.

5 Likes

Ah ha! You’re reading my mind; a potential career shift!

4 Likes

My alert is ON.

3 Likes

This is the end…

grafik

2 Likes

My plan is to try Little Mell Fell G/LD-037 partly for the relatively short drive which will take me past the access to Mickle Fell and partly as I am reasonably confident of getting down in the dark. Will also try a tarp and probably take the PA to run 30 watts into either a dipole or end fed half wave.

Probably not the right attitude but as I sit and shiver on the summit I can be fairly confident that the descent is drier than Mickle Fell and that unexploded ordinance is not likely to be an issue … :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed for a combination of good weather, or at least not horrible weather and good band conditions and as I’m hopefully line of sight with Mickle Fell I might get one S2S…and GL to all.

Best 73. Paul

2 Likes

Sometimes I let my selfish, egotistical inner self escape. :wink::joy:

I will take a head torch (metal detector and field dressings) in case I get carried away on a wave of inter-continental S2S!

3 Likes

WX dependent I’ll be up a wee 1pt that is a 10min walk max. I’m less worried by earning points than being able to work S2S contacts (and other chasers of course).

1 Like