Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 6th November

I will be on a summit somewhere in Arizona if at all possible with my mighty QRP station!!

Listen for the weak ones!

Pete
WA7JTM

6 Likes

Hopefully I will be able to break your pile up this time Pete. :grinning:

1 Like

How about holding this on December 11th? along with the other celebrations around the first transatlantic amateur radio communication across the Atlantic?
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/special-event-transatlantic-tests-of-1921.htm

73 Ed.

3 Likes

“The transmitter on the U.S. side, station 1BCG, was located in a 10 ft. x 14 ft. wooden hut in a farmer’s field in Greenwich Connecticut. The transmitter had an input power of 990 watts, a T cage antenna, 100 feet long and 70 feet high with a radial counterpoise, and the wavelength used was 230 meters“

I might need a few friends to help me carry that up a hill :grin:. At least all the valves will help to keep me warm in December, plus I should be able to rig up some lighting to run off the authentic lead acid batteries

3 Likes

Pros and cons… more people around to work (the majority not interested in SOTA) and more QRM as a result. My feeling is that we make our own agenda. If you’re keen, then why not just go out on both dates? I’m happy to sit out on a cold hillside in December, but I suspect I’m in the minority.

7 Likes

Yes, I realise, but I wanted to draw the groups attention to this important anniversary, so close to the S2S dates.
Quite honestly the way the weather has been here over the last two years, nothing is normal! There’s every chance of a heatwave on December 11th ! Then again that’s also possible on November 6th.

Moving to December brings in the three winter bonus points for many of the DL summits over here for the activators that they won’t get in November, which may be attractive to some activators.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

But the penalty in daylight time of having the event more than 1 month later will be huge. Let alone the much greater chances of a much colder temperature and a worse weather.
I’ll surely have more difficulties to activate on Dec 11th.

Guru

10 Likes

I like the date chosen, as is. My calendar fills up fast, especially the weekend dates. I’ve blocked out the November date so nothing interferes, and I already have a conflict on Dec 11th. While not impossible, I think it’s getting a bit late to switch it up this year. It would certainly be a disappointment to me personally, not to be able to participate. Also, personal opinion but I prefer keeping the date the same as in years past. It’s been working, why change?
Charlie NJ7V

3 Likes

OK Charlie,
Your call - you started this proposal - as I said, I had just heard about the other event and wondered whether it would be a good idea to align with their date.

Everything here depends upon the weather, so at the moment I cannot commit to either date.
I will be out in December on top of some snow covered mountains at some point though as I want to grab the winter bonus points!

73 Ed.

2 Likes

As I said Ed, there’s nothing to stop you and others activating concurrent with the Anniversary event. I might be able to go out on that date, but I won’t be hanging around for 4 to 5 hours looking for Trans-Atlantic S2S contacts that late in the year as I do each November. I have descended in the dark each time and thankfully the weather has been quite good. I doubt I would be as fortunate another month on.

5 Likes

Correct, there is nothing to stop me going out any day (except the weather …).

We’ll see how we go. The time difference with the US has been an issue for me in previous years when I have tried to get to 8 or 10 pointers - I’ve had to leave the summit before the band has opened from NA to Europe, perhaps with the improving SC 25 things will be better.

2 Likes

Indeed… I am trying to work out whether I can activate a high point GM summit this year. Both the take off to the States and the availability of a safe descent in the dark are key factors. :grinning:

3 Likes

Just adding a comment to keep this thread visible. If you are participating make sure you put your alert on the SotaWatch site so we all know your plans. Not many have put alerts up yet, although I know it’s still a bit out in the future.

We’re still on for November 6th!

Charlie NJ7V

5 Likes

One of my favourite images from a Transtlantic QSO party, 2018, when my pole snapped in the middle on Red Screes. My eldest daughter was enlisted and when George N1GB was heard I shouted ‘hold it up a bit’ and gained an S-point.

It was bloomin freezing mind! :cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

Mark.

14 Likes

I will listen harder this year!

Pete

6 Likes

Just put in my alert Charlie. Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

John,
Well said! As you surfers know, the weather is colder in winter; the water is colder in summer;, owing to Ekman transport. (why we have fog in the SF upwelling area, well known to naval aviators!) Take your pick!
Ken K6HPX, former Salinas boy, just like K6EL.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I couldn’t even set up an antenna to chase the W7A operators this year. I’m going to try to be on a peak somewhere early for this event if at all possible

1 Like

Think I’ll give this a go… Penycloddau GW/NW-054 looks favourite… I’ll have a small tent, the FT857 (20W probably most of the time) and plenty of batteries.

3 Likes

That certainly sounds like a plan! Don’t forget your head torch!

I don’t yet know where I’m going to be, but I’m trying hard to get up to Scotland. The fall back is using the ‘B’ call from either an English or Welsh summit with a decent take off to the north-west… and a reasonable descent route in the dark. :grinning:

2 Likes