Trans-Atlantic S2S pre-event chat

Hi there!

This being a transatlantic SOTA event, are we supposed not to contact the same continent hams?
I mean if I see spotted somebody in Europe (myself too located in Europe) should I contact him/her or not?
May be a dumb question but better clarifying it!

Thanks!

Joan - EA3IKB

Joan, the main aim of these Trans-Atlantic events is to get people in the EU on at the same time as people in the USA. i.e. get people in the USA up hills earlier and encourage EU hams to stay on the hills later so that say DL-W6 S2S contacts are possible.

You should aim to work everyone you can hearā€¦ thatā€™s my plan for these events.

1 Like

Thanks Andy!! Sounds great!! Hopefully we can do a S2S!!

Joan -EA3IKB

Yes, work as many as you can wherever they are. Calling CQ will hopefully bring in Stateside chasers as well as S2S contacts. There will probably be chasers active from Brazil and elsewhere. :grinning:

1 Like

With propagation the way it is at the moment, I donā€™t think 10 metres is likely to deliver and 20 metres will be the ā€œmoney bandā€ (if one can find a spot between the contesters).

I plan to take the 2-element trapped two-band (20m/10m) wire beam, probably switched to West most of the time.
73 Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes

Iā€™m planning on using 17/12m but will have 10m with me and 40/20/15 on the spare antenna if I remember to pack it.

2 Likes

I never had much luck working T-A on 20m but then I probably didnā€™t try for long - and I wouldnā€™t want to on a contest Saturday. When 10m is out to lunch Iā€™ve found 12m and 17m good for T-A.

Iā€™ll use my Chameleon MPAS Lite vertical on Saturday - especially if this stormy weather continues - for 30m-10m, a good all-rounder which the KX2 internal ATU manages to make good enough

1 Like

@DD5LP

Oh joy of joys and what contest is gracing the airwaves this weekend?

https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php

Hi Paul,
As Richardā€™s Link shows - several however the one that will affect me the most is likely to be the Serbian one.
There are contests every weekend of the year, so we just have to put up with them. In theory (for SSB) above 14300 ā€œshouldā€ be free of contest stations but of course, those forced off their normal frequencies lower down the band will be up in this section of the band.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

With an ongoing storm at the moment here and SNOW storms expected through tomorrow - Iā€™m not going to be able to take part after all. This is disappointing as it seems this weekend has become the ā€œportable Opsā€ weekend with several events happening either tomorrow or tomorrow and Sunday.

To all of you who are able to take part - good luck in the event.
73 Ed.

2 Likes