Trans-Atlantic S2S - 6th November part 2

Indeed, that has increasingly come into the equation. After much deliberation and my head finally ruling my heart, I have decided that I won’t be needing my passport after all and will stay south of the border for this one. I will brush the cobwebs off my G8 callsign (last used in the same event last year) and will be on from the Cheviot hills, most likely Shillhope Law G/SB-006.

The issue with the bridge at Bridge of Cally on the A93 got me thinking. Do I really want to drive 350 miles in the dark and wet and spend all day out in the wet and windy weather? Surely the primary aim for the day is to attempt to make S2S contacts, not gain points, however tempting this may be. It will be challenging enough with the weather conditions in northern England. The road north can wait for better weather conditions.

73, Gerald (will be operating as G8CXK/P)

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I am cancelling my participation in the event this year.
It is November 5th 2021 and in Germany we now have an all-time record of new COVID-19 infections and the State and Federal governments seem more concerned to play politics than to take any effective action. (IMHO). My wife and I have decided to avoid any non-essential travel which unfortunately includes SOTA activations.
The fact that the summit will be at sub-zero temperatures and is already snow-covered made the decision somewhat easier.
Good luck to those who can take part in the event.

73 Ed DD5LP.
Update 6/11/2021 - Looks like I made the right call - this is the neighbouring summit and it’s busy.

9 Likes

More chance of working you now you’re that bit further away. 60m might do the job I think. Given my planned location in the trees, NVIS will probably be the only way for my RF to escape!

4 Likes

It was very wet underfoot on Wednesday. Probably will take as long to drive to Wedder Leap as Mount Blair up that never ending road!

2 Likes

Think the gods are having a laugh at my expense, by timing the strong winds and heavy rain for just the period I was intending to be activating. And these wind speeds will be for down in the town not at the summit.

While I would like to stay later to get more transatlantic S2Ss, unless the weather improves before the event, reluctantly I will shift earlier to 1200 to 1500z.

2 Likes

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster recently, and I’m deciding to cancel my participation in the event.

After the Lake District SOTA weekend I had a period of about three weeks feeling unwell and struggling with a heavy cold. Because of feeling unwell, I haven’t done any radio operating since the LD event.

It was half term school holiday last week and we as a family, visited my wife’s father in Devon. We had a nice time, however on the journey back, my ancient Xsara Picasso MPV decided to break down about half way home. As you may well imagine, as the I’m the unofficial vehicle technician, I was not in the good books! After 5 hours of being stranded near Birmingham we eventually recieved a courtesy car and was able to continue our journey home, returning to Bentham at around 11pm, about 12 hours after setting off.

Last weekend we spent a whole lot of time trying to find a suitable replacement car that was available and within budget. Life is tough here on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales without a car - the bus service is appalling and there’s only 5 trains a day. My intended SOTA activity also depended on getting a car, as my wife needs her car to go for her hair appointment some 40+ miles away.

Thankfully a replacement car was found on Sunday and I was able to drive it away immediately. I find car buying incredibly stressful, especially as I’m the one in the family who us supposed to know about cars (I don’t really!). Anyway I’m now back on the road.

As I haven’t used a radio for so long, I decided to try an activation of Whernside yesterday. I was interested to see how the tiny diesel engine in my car would cope with the hilly roads, it did OK really, although plenty of gear changes needed as the power band seems quite narrow (intercooler / turbo). I’d seen the propagation data and thought that there was absolutely no point carrying a rig up a hill, so I didn’t! It seems to happen to me a lot - I’m desperate to test my K1SWL Hilltop 20 transceiver and each time I’ve intended to take it out, there’s a solar storm!!

I enjoyed the walk up Whernside, it was nice to get up a hill for the first time since the LD SOTA event.

After looking at the weather forecast for high winds and also considering the unsettled HF propagation, I’ve decided to cancel SOTA tomorrow, even though I’ve been looking forward to it. I have an arbitrary rule that I operate only if the MWIS predicts 30mph wind or less. That rule is certainly in breach at the moment.

Stay safe everyone, I’m sure they’ll be plenty of opportunities for transatlantic QSOs in the coming months and years.

73, Colin

9 Likes

Off Topic…
Nice little car Colin. Think its a Fiat. Currently looking around for a used car for my son in law. There is not much about within his budget at present, unless we are prepared to travel some distance, such as Manchester to view them. One to view in York though early next week if its still there…

73 Phil

Edit PS Sounds like you may be getting rid of the old Picasso.

1 Like

Hi Colin,

Sorry to hear you’ve been having ups and downs, hope the acquisition of the new vehicle signals a turning point in your fortunes :slight_smile:

Good call cancelling - I’m rather fragile myself atm thanks to some surgery 3 weeks ago so I’m keeping a very close eye on the forecast and won’t hesitate to bale if it looks too unfavourable. So apologies to all in advance if I’m not there. At least my Brother has offered to carry the Lucky Anvil up the hill for me :rofl:

73 de Paul G4MD/G6GGP

3 Likes

I’ve changed my alert to a safer TW-001 (I know a comfy place to hunker out of the winds!). Getting a mast up may still be a challenge though. Final decision will be taken tomorrow. Mickel Fell is proving to be an elusive challenge for me.

4 Likes

Yes Phil, it’s a Fiat 500 L. Not related to the smaller, popular Fiat 500, except for some borrowed styling. We trawled online ads constantly for several days and visited a few dealers, we spent Saturday in Rochdale looking at cars.

The Picasso was disposed of last Friday. I’d paid £1400 for the car in 2018 and besides the usual wear items (tyres, exhaust etc) it hadn’t needed anything. I’d put an additional 51,000 miles on the clock in my ownership. I even got £180 back upon disposal- I think the car owed me nothing!

Thankfully I had a car savings pot on the go, as I had been planning to replace the car in the not too distant future.

I am a little disappointed to cancel my transatlantic SOTA activation but I do hope to be out in a week’s time for the Remembrance service on Buckden Pike. My thoughts at this time are to take my FT817 and work on the lower bands - 80m and 40m, who knows, I might throw in 160m too.

Good luck car hunting.

73, Colin

4 Likes

Hi Paul,

Yes, I had hoped that the transatlantic event would be the start of my SOTA season after a period of doing very little radio. Oh well, I’ve waited this long, another week or so won’t make much difference.

I hope you’re mending well and able to get out in the hills soon if not tomorrow.

73, Colin

2 Likes

The weather looks good for me tomorrow in Virginia, around freezing early but warming up nicely later with light wind and no precipitation. Very excited to get some S2S across the pond, something I have never done, though I think my poor Morse might be limiting. In addition to my workhorse KX2, also planning to lug the FT-891, tuner and LiFePO4 in case more power helps (might try SSB for a change too). Fingers crossed for good band conditions!

1 Like

I think it was already posted in part 1 of this thread.

Looking at VOACAP
17 over 15 and then 20 look promising for our sheduled timespan of 13-15 UTC
grafik
50 W CW with 1/4 vertical and dipole on other side.

Teaming up with Sylvia @OE5YYN plan is to have a 17m band vertical upper-outer on the air and cover the other bands with an EFHW.

Looking forward to the S2S party.
73 Joe

6 Likes

I was testing my home-built 15/17/20m linked dipole today at about 1300 UTC. With just 5W I was being heard in NA on RBN on 15m and 17m but not 20m. This was from my home QTH and the dipole running east to west. From a summit tomorrow with 10W and north-south orientation it should be better.

5 Likes

Weather permitting, Martin @2E0BIA and I will be on Shinng Tor (G/SP-004) in the Peak District, with a multi-band antenna (1/4 wave) on 15m, 17m, 20m and 40m from about 11 UTC. It’s not looking good after 1300 ::

Screenshot from 2021-11-05 17-24-37|676x499

1 Like

Only 37 miles from base - satnav saying 1hr 10mins via Alnwick where I drop off Mrs OIG for her retail therapy session. :grin: I actually love driving the Coquet Valley - we used to rent a cottage up there each year and I know the road well.

Actually Ros Hill G/SB-009 looks to have a better take-off and that wall would give me some respite from the gale. I will make a final decision in the morning. At least I’m not getting out of bed at 02:15z. Back at base much earlier too… more ale time. Got to look on the bright side. :grinning: :beer: :beer: :beer:

3 Likes

Geomagnetic activity is creeping up again. :frowning:

Edit: Gone back down again. I’m going to stop worrying. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its a go here from Arizona tomorrow…hope to be on summit + on air before 1400 with 40 watts…

Hope the WX in Europe cooperates.

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A

5 Likes

WX forecast seems ok here. So it’s a go now.
Hope condx are in our favour. QRV with 10…15 watts and vertical dipoles.

73, cu tmw,
Roman

4 Likes

Thanks Colin doing OK :slight_smile: Looking very windy tomorrow but the afternoon rain has gone from the forecast so I’m hoping to give it a go. Made my 20m upper and outer into a link 17m/20m upper and outer this afternoon looks like that may have been a good move :slight_smile: Unlike my usual QRP MO am planning to use 25W that should help…

Hope to catch some of you tomorrow

73 Paul G4MD/G6GGP

3 Likes