Trans-Atlantic S2S - 6th November part 2

Trans-Atlantic S2S 6th November discussion continued…

I’m just wondering whether anyone is proposing using a multi element antenna this year. I recall some success in the past, but wonder whether the added complexity is worthwhile, particularly when dismantling the antenna system is likely to be when it is dark. I will be keeping to my simple vertical with 4 counterpoises/radials, but feel I may be missing out on something. :confused:

1 Like

Weather permitting I’m planning on a simple dipole and 20m. I was playing with a 10m quarter wave vertical today and that was being heard in NA on FT8 but I think I’ll stick with CW and the 20m dipole. But it all depends I think on propagation on the day. Things are so far looking good.

2 Likes

I did in the 2 previous editions because I worked 20m only and my 2 elements inverted L was designed and setup for that band but, given the good conditions we’re having on 15, 17 and 20m this year, I will go for a vertical enfed, as this will allow for quick band changes working as a tribander with the help of my antenna tuner, of course.

Guru

4 Likes

Hi Mike,

I’m pretty sure we’ll repeat S2S, although not necesarily on 20m, as 17 and 15m are performing as good if not sometimes even better.
CU AGN SN

Guru

3 Likes

I am quite confident…

I tested my set-up ( KX2, MX P50M and Endfed for 40/20/15/10m as inv-L dir. west - 17m I adapt directly on the tuner of the KX2 ) on 25 October on DM/BW-018 … and had in 4 hours 19 QSO to NA, 1 x ZL and 1 x YC

Also in the last days: I had with my standard equipment (KX2 and 10m vertical) in the afternoon always NA in the log.

Unfortunately no S2S … but there was no one from NA on the summit… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

73 Armin

6 Likes

Initially I intended to set up a VDA for 15m (photo see part 1)
The trouble is, it’s a Monobander. In case most activity is on other bands, it’ll be of little use and there won’t be enough time to swap antennas.
So most likely I go for vertical EFHW dipoles, which are easy to set up and even can be swapped if condx are different from what’s expected.
Currently, bands are in great shape. Hope condx keep up!

73, Roman

4 Likes

Weather permitting I think I will take some heavy batteries and a linked dipole setup to G/LD-001…

1 Like

My daughter is doing her CBT in Carnforth and assuming that goes ahead I will try and get on a radio from Arnside Knott G/LD-058.

Regards, Mark.

2 Likes

Wow, Scarfell Pike. Ambitious descent in the dark?

1 Like

Would plan to be back at the car by sunset. My batteries will only last an hour or two. Following the path in the dark won’t be an issue if it came to it…

3 Likes

Yeah, the tourist path is like a motorway.

2 Likes

Hoping to try the Corridor Route from the north, which I haven’t done before. Bit of grade 1 perhaps (hopefully).

2 Likes

Everyone I’ve spoken to about Scafell Pike recommends the corridor route. I did RAYNET from Esk Hause and watch all sorts ascend from that direction. I would expect it to get dark early on that side however.

Mark.

1 Like

Went up the corridor route this summer after a gap of about 25 years - slight scramble nothing very difficult but it was quiet unlike most of the motorway paths. Worth doing, the kids and dog enjoyed it too. Still would not fancy it at night….

(Dog a day later …. )

7 Likes

I was warned about one gill crossing that was tricky, looking at the map now I would suggest that is Skew Gill, but I can’t be sure.

Photo of dog very unlike last time met in person :smile:

M.

2 Likes

There was one tricky bit which involved lowering the dog about six feet down a scramble, but that was the only part that wasn’t so easy. I think it was the unnamed gill below Lambfoot dub I think Skew gill has quite red loose rock and looks worse than it is…. I have been down that way probably three times but up it only once. The difficult bits may well be different the other way round as climbing down always seems somewhat harder…

3 Likes

I bet if you went within 10feet of him with a sausage or piece of bacon then he’d break the sound barrier as he jumped up to try to get it. :wink:

3 Likes

Springer - just hint at “walk” and the dog would be away (in my humble experience :laughing:)

1 Like

Back on topic … Weather not looking brilliant next Saturday - At the moment it is suggesting cold ish 6 C (Not a massive problem) but winds approaching a “Near Gale” which might be a bit more of a problem, still a week is a long time away for a weather forcast in the UK. Paul

1 Like

Hmm, 50% chance of not raining (to take the positive view :wink:). 5C and 20-40 mph wind

Lovely!

2 Likes