Trans-atlantic qsos soon will get back

Hello,

back in february 2020 (before we started the confinement here) I worked Jorge EA2LU activating for SOTA.
He did an afternoon activation and I recorded with my smartphone at home some of his DX qso. I was lucky to hear him and his chasers also with good signals.

The infection rate is decreasing now in Spain and we can almost see a light at the end of this tunnel. Government is starting to speak about opening the gate back to streets little by little…
Hopefully we will be back in the mountains soon and you will hear again EA references on air. Meanwhile, let me share his activation here…

73 de Ignacio

12 Likes

I sure hope conditiions get better! Today’s numbers: 69-3-5!
Can’t hear the east coast USA from the west coast!
John, K6YK

My last SOTA activation was on 3 March from GW/NW-070 Great Orme where I logged 74 contacts, all 20m ssb. As well as VK, I worked 43 North Americans, one of them a s2s with Bob AC1Z. There was even a couple of s2s with Inky who was in The Canaries, IIRC.

Even though the bands are generally in poor shape, for those who get all their ducks lined up in a row, and demonstrate plenty of patience, DX into North America and indeed, other continents is still there to be worked and you’ll need nothing more than a mic.

My Great Orme log for 3 March, with some familiar callsigns in there.

EA5K, EA8/G1INK/P, EA7GV, S56LXN/P, SM5LNE, OH3GZ, SQ9MDF, IU0FNW,
R5DD, SA4BLM, VK3DET, EA3EVL, EA1DHB, EA7IBX, EA3F, H33K, KC3JPP, K7EFS, EA7GV,
KB9LQA, K0LAF, SV1RVJ, N4ARV, DJ5AV, MW7XJQ, K6LDQ, EA5RP, W5GDW, IZ8OFO,
IQ8BI, AD4IE, KW7Y, W2SE, KC3MX, N8LGP, WD3LC, EA1LQ, KC1CJD, N4RRR, N5BIP,
KA2NUE, KE4ZIP, IW8QQK, NE4N, IZ0WEI, WB8SIG, AD8RL, W5LRP, K3EWZ, WA4JQS,
KJ4UAU, N3CDA, W4PID, VA7JS,F IZ7UNJ, VE1RY, EA5IFL, EA4GTY, NG5U, KD9IPO, W3DF,
NA4DX, EA3GBU, VA3PDX, I0KHY, EA8/G1INK/P, W3CWT, GW3YQP, K3TCU, KI6EAB, AC1Z, AF4NJ, NR0R, N3ED.

2E0YYY

6 Likes

I agree, because I had one activation qso with kd1ct in the last week and one today with my rapport 56. My first trans-atlantic for months. Tnx Bob

73 Chris

True. As you have proved with superb results, time and time again.

It could also be said “You’ll need nothing more than 5 watts” - which has also been proved by activators time and time again. Ultimately, you settle on an operating style that works for you, get on a hill, do SOTA - and enjoy! 50 watts with a microphone, 5 watts with CW or FT8, work DX - it’s all lovely stuff.

I’m really looking forward to beng back out on the hills again. When we can all do that again, it will feel so special, and we’ll all realise more than ever, just what a precious gift it is to be able to that.

3 Likes

There has been a fair amount of Arizona to Europe even this year on my activation’s in February and March.

No EU s2s contacts, but I have worked a number of EU stations on five of my activation’s this year so far (EA7GV, DJ5AV, OK2PDT, ON4VT, EA2LU, and EA2IT).

When this cycle actually gets serious things should be pretty good. I’m looking forward to the s2s contacts into Europe again…maybe as soon as next Fall.

Pete
WA7JTM

Hi Pete,
I’d say there’s a typo here, as I chased you on Feb 18th. when you activated W7A/CS-045.

Guru

Likely…my log, or my typing, can get pretty sloppy up on a summit or here at home… Hi Hi

Pete
WA7JTM

After checking your activator log, I can say it was your typing at home when writing the post in the Reflector. My callsign is OK in your log:

Guru

2 Likes

Definitely a “DOH” moment…not unusual for me…hi Hi

tnx

Pete
WA7JTM