Trans-Atlantic QSO Party - 5th November 2022 (Part 2)

Well, Bouyed by a non -SOTA QSO from IO88BK to Barcelona on 12m a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would try the Transatlantic SOTA weekend.
I am quite new to SOTA, activating three summits so far and after a bit of research decided on Dumyat GM/SS-216 since I might be coming down it at dusk. It also overlooks Menstrie where my Grandad grew up.
The weather forecast was for rain until lunch time and then clear with some strong winds. The forecast was fairly accurate and I was glad I had taken some cover. I hadn’t bargained with the low cloud and was at the top before I could see it.
I set up the shelter then the pole with link dipole set for 12m and a Flowerpot antenna on the back guy for 2m. You can just see the beacon and Trig point in the background.

On to 2m first and Stephen MM7STT got me off the mark followed by four more contacts on 2m, including a couple of regulars GM4COX and GM0VEK, and that was the activation point in the bag.
Switch to 12m and although I could hear lots of US and Canadian stations, they couldn’t seem to hear me, I couldn’t really find a clear frequency to spot either unfortunately.
At this point the rain eased and the wind got up, it brought the pole down !
Oh well, might as well switch the dipole links. I set up for 15m and re-hoisted the antenna.
I saw that Fraser MM0EFI on GM/SS-192 had spotted for 15m and called him up S2S , we had a brief QSO and then a slightly longer chat later on 2m. I had set the dipole up to favour the Westerly direction so I think Fraser was off one end of the antenna. I also discovered later that I had knocked the connection off the external battery so the FT818 was only putting out 2.5W at that point !
I tried a few more calls on 15m but no replies and it was starting to get colder.
Fortunately the cloud had cleared and the Wallace monument looked nice silhouetted as the sun started to set on my way down.

So no Transatlantic QSO’s but another activation point and an S2S with Fraser (MG).
Also learnt a few lessons about hillcraft which will be useful if I tackle anything higher or more remote. I need a bit more practice on HF as well.
Andy MM7MOX

12 Likes

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for the S2S we had on 15m. First I heard you just above the noise, but after some minutes, your signal climbed up to 58!

Like the last two previous years, I setup on the nearby one point summit HB/SO-015, where I find my way back to the car easily, even in the darkest forest.

In total, I had 90 contacts in the log, all with 10W SSB, of which were 28 S2S (some S2S had two operators on the same summit). I made only 4 transatlantic QSOs, of which were 2 S2S: with @N1CFO and @VA2MO, both on 17m.

The weather was not bad, about 7C max., no rain and later on, there was even a bit of sun.

First I used my proven EFHW in inverted-L configuration, but waited too long to change to my 12m/10m vertical EFHW:

By the time I was using this vertical, 10m state side was getting weaker and after a few answers on 12m, e.g. one was EC8ADS, and none on 10m, I again setup the EFHW antenna and made some more contacts. So at the end, all DX were made with the 20 meter long EFHW that I also used last year.

The map doesn’t show all contacts that happened at the same minute, e.g. the QSO on 12m with EC8ADS from the Canary Island is missing (a known bug). Hans KI6EAB/W4 that I already worked before, was using a remote station in Florida from his QTH in California.

To be honest, I expected a bit more S2S DX, since the propagation looked promising, but most of the DX activators I could not hear or were so weak that I didn’t even try.

For (a not so fair) comparison, 6 days before I tested my setup at HB/BE-108 when the CQ WW DC contest was going on. In 10 minutes I worked 6 DX stations:

Back to the North-Atlantic event:
While tuning around on 10m, I heard Herbert @OE9HRV having a QSO with Phil @G4OBK. Phil was just above the noise level but very well understandable, and Herbert was very good copyable, even his direction was behind my summit. Herbert’s Hentenna (PDF) and his 100W are really amazing, since I can hear him most of the times over ground wave, when I’m activating in Switzerland, Germany or France. Not only on 10m, but also on other bands.

73 Stephan

9 Likes

Well done Andy. Great to work you on 15 m and have a chat on 2 m later.

I hadn’t spoken to anyone on HF SSB for about 10 years until I started doing SOTA in 2021. I’d forgotten everything I knew about operating, propagation, when to use what band, the solar cycle etc. The solution is to just get out there and do it!

I can see from your photo why there were few GM stations on hills yesterday. The weather was pretty dire.

4 Likes

Nice one Stephan!

We’ll not start the antenna argument again! This week, whilst activating, I have worked US stations on 15 m SSB using:

1. 10 w into an inverted V EFHW
  2. 35 w into a 15 m delta loop

I always say, it’s the band conditions and not the wire (a lot of the time). :wink:

4 Likes

This!
Propagation is much more important than the antenna.

73 Stephan

2 Likes

I was really surpised yesterday by all the European S2S contacts ! great conditions and and I only used 17 and 10m. I’ll be there next year for sure !

73 Eric VA2MO.

http://va2mo.blogspot.com/2022/11/5-nov-2022-mont-du-grand-morne-593m-2.html

9 Likes

The weather dictated my choice of summit for this event. I was going to get wet, but how wet and would I be struggling to put up an antenna in tghe strong winds that were forecast? I selected a range of summits across Scotland and finally decided to activate Cat Law GM/ES-044 as it offered a well graded track access and had the benefit of stone shelters at the summit.

Setting out at 0605z, it took 3 hours and 40 minutes to drive to the parking spot which was 175 miles / 250km from my base in northern England. There was heavy rain for the last part of the journey, but it had reduced to drizzle when I arrived. Nevertheless the rain slowly got heavier as I ascended and with the increased wind speed as I gained height, it was not exactly pleasant at the summit. The ascent took me 1 hour 26 minutes - not quick, but I did have 13kg on my back.

After an inspection of the three summit shelters, I elected to use the smallest one as my tarp would spread across most of the top to give me some protection. I was keen to keep as dry as possible as this was the first outing for my newly acquired KX3. In hindsight, while this was quite a comfortable position, it was a poor choice as far as making Trans-Atlantic contacts were concerned. I would have been better setting up a tarp shelter further north on the fence line. In the shelter I was too far back from the edge of the hill in the north-west direction.

I used some of the rocks at the summit to create a support for my pole which worked well, but my choice of antenna was not in step with recent band conditions. I deployed my 20 / 17m vertical, but much of the DX action was on the higher frequencies. I did have a newly constructed 10m delta loop with me (untested), but I did not get around to deploying it on account of the weather. Setting up the vertical took long enough as it coincided with the worst of the weather.

It was 1230z when I was ready to go, but on key down the KX3 would not key properly, staying on transmit for around a second, producing a continuous tone which overrode anything I sent on the key. I suspect it was something to do with the damp atmosphere. Anyway after half an hour of faffing around without discovering a clear reason for what was happening, the problem went away. I started on 20m CW at 1300z with an EU S2S followed by calling CQ and a run which netted me 18 contacts in as many minutes. These were mainly around EU, but the run included an S2S with Scott N1AIA and a NA chase by John K8LJG in MI. Before moving to 17m, I bagged another EU S2S.

On 17m SSB I had a pleasant S2S with Erik N1CFO. A quick switch to 15m followed and trusting the misatch would not be too great for the amplifier I was using, I gave Fraser MM0EFI a call… he was only 40dB over 9 with me. 15m seemed to be the place to be at the time and Eric VA2EO and James KK1W were soon in log on CW for two more Trans-Atlantic S2S. I grabbed another EU S2S before putting out a CQ call, but that produced just 6 contacts, though one was with Alfred WX1S who was a huge signal. When the run dried up, I grabbed 3 more EU S2S on CW.

There was action up on 12m and 10m, but I couldn’t find any NA activators, indeed for some reason both bands seemed to be quite noisy so I decided to give 20m another try. First to call to my surprise was Colin M1BUU. In all the run totalled 13 contacts ending with a call from David EA3/N6AN/P. I checked across the band before changing the links on the antenna once again. 17m SSB produced a very enjoyable contact with Eric VA2MO. I attempted to work Mike WB2FUV on 15m CW, but was not successful in getting myself heard. So back on 17m CW I put out another call which produced a further 9 contacts including one with Tom W4JKC, but no S2S.

I was now 1620z and I was getting rather cold, so I decided to do some hunting around before I pulled the plug. I only managed one more contact, an S2S with Jean VE2JCW on 12m CW. An attempt to work Mike WB2FUV on 10m was not successful.

Reluctantly I switched off at 1640z which gave me the remaining daylight to pack up the kit, the rain now having stopped. After a quick text to the XYL and taking a couple of photographs, I set off back to the car at 1706z just as darkness fell, though I was able to make my descent in moonlight without needing my head torch.

During the activation I did take time to listen for Pete WA7JTM on whatever band he was spotted on, but I was disappointed to find that there was no propagation from my location to Arizona. I usually hear Pete, though I have not always been able to make myself heard through his pile up. In that respect, for me conditions were rather disappointing. I thought it was down to my set up, but others seem to have had similar results.

It took me an hour to get back to the car. The first 30 miles of my return journey were driven through dense fog, but as this was on narrow winding roads with very little traffic, I did not lose much time. It was 2156z when I arrived home.

So this was another enjoyable event for me with 6 Trans-Atlantic S2S, 3 NA chaser contacts and 9 EU S2S in the log of 58 contacts. Ironically the only one of higher bands that I did not make any contacts on was 10m… I should have deployed the delta loop. Maybe for the next event in April 2023 I will focus more on the higher frequencies.

Many thanks to everyone that made this event so enjoyable, especially those that went out in poor weather conditions.

73, Gerald

14 Likes

Hi Gerald, thanks for a great report and photos. A good read. :+1: :smiley:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Nearly!

M1EYP - 126 activations of G/SP-004
2E0YYY - 124
2E0BIA - 80

4 Likes

What a day!!

First of all thanks for your patience, the tiny signal from the venerable FT-817 sometimes, I’m conscious, it´s very weak.

The conditions in the upper bands has been really good, specially in the long distace terms.

All in all 42 qso. 25 DX NA in total, of which there are 17 NA S2S. In this side of the pond 10 EU S2S.

S2S NA side: WB2FUV, AC1Z, VE2JCW, N1AIA, VA2EO, VA2MO, NJ7V, AB1WX, NA6MG, KR7RK, WC1N, WA7JTM, KR7RK, N3XUL, + 3 dupes.

S2S EU side: EI9KY/P, LZ1GJ/P, OE5JFE/P, F/DD6FM/P, G4OOE/P, M1BUU/P, EA7GV, S52AU/P, IW2OBX/P, DH8WN/P

I could not work several activators who gave more than respectable signals in my headphones, a pity for sure.

EA1/AT-314 has a very clear and easy path to follow, and in the very summit there is a metallic fence that helps to asure the 6m rod. For this event I mounted the triple bazooka dipole antena for the 10m band as vertically as possible, as a main aerial. On the other hand I also mounted the 21m long EFHW as support for the 20 and 15 bands, the position was very low just above some branches and bushes, but it yielded enough given the precarious deployment.

I am a true enthusiast of vertical dipoles and now that we can enjoy the growth of high band conditions I can’t resist using it even more when searching long distances. Out of predictions, with the vertical dipole for 10m, I was able to work several stations on 17m even on 15m with acceptable SWR.

A day to remember, but surely the next edition will be better!

Best 73!

15 Likes

That is an excellent achievement, well done! :slight_smile: I only managed one. :frowning:

2 Likes

I was curious to work with so many active SOTA station around at the same time. From Wednesday to Friday the forecast was a little bit better each day. My plan was to reach DM/TH-012 around 13 z. For some reason I was there short before 14 z and QRV 14:15 z, started with my vertical EFHW for 20 m.

Until 15 z 27 contacts came in the log, all Europe, 8 S2S to 6 different references. Then I switched to my 6 m vertical for different bands. 5 more contacts on 15 m in 26 Minutes, 2 S2S and 1 DX (K8, not S2S). Calling 10 Minutes on 10 m brought nothing. I heard some station, but the most with weak signals. Changing to 20 m again brought me 5 QSO , 3 S2S from Europe.

For the last hour my body was shaking despite my winter clothing. Sorry for some special CW. So I packed up 16:15 z, ¾ hour after sunset. Maybe I missed the best period for DX?

50 Minutes after sunset

I needed my head torch to find all my bits and pieces and to pass a small wood on the first part of the way. Some minutes after 18 z I was back in my home town.

All in all 37 contacts (13 with G, GI, GM, GW), 1 DX, 13 S2S - not half bad. Thanks to all the activators and chasers!

73, Ludwig

8 Likes

It was the same for me Ludwig… and my keying was a bit rough at times! I finished at 1640z which is earlier than I usually do. I also wondered whether I was going to miss some DX, but I needed to get moving to warm up. On my descent I could feel the cold through my three layers of clothing which is something that happens more in winter, so I think I made the right decision, The bonus was that I got home earlier and had time for a lovely hot shower before going to bed.

Many thanks for your report. It sounds like you enjoyed the activation. Hopefully you will give it another go next April when at least we will have daylight. :grinning:

73, Gerald

1 Like

Well, typical for me these days, I forgot to take any photos of my activation, with a simple small vertical (HF-Pro-2-Plus-T)and a Xiegu G90 with 20w. I had intended to also put up a 5-band linked dipole, but suffering from a bad back I decided minimal movement and exertion was best. WX on my local SOTA 1-pointer was light rain as I arrived, and then no more rain until late in the evening.

I spent maybe 2 hours on the summit, and got 16 QSOs altogether, with 5 S2S with European stations, but no S2S with North America. One US station in the log however - the ubiquitous KI6EAB/W4 on 10m. All in all, an enjoyable exercise despite the cold and damp. OK, a nip or two of medicinal brandy also helped :crazy_face:

Hopefully, next year will bring better conditions, both weather- and propagation-wise.

3 Likes

I was going to Google the Wank webcam and then decided it probably wasn’t a good idea, especially on my work computer.

7 Likes

Yes that summit has an “unfortunate” name…
73 Ed.

2 Likes

Activated CT/MN-033 for the party, which is not the best place, since it´s quite urban and with a lot of nearby transmiters and power transformeres. Had high hopes for 10m but a bad BNC connector made me pack away the PAC12 vertical and deploy the ol´trusty EHFW with a 20m wire. Noise floor was quite high on 40 and 20m, more manageble on 10, 12 and 15m. Made about 10S2S, with US, Canada and Europe, mostly on 10 and 12. A well spent afternoon, despite the challenges.

Looking forward to the next one.

Paulo, CT2IWW

9 Likes

After having reached Mt Tesoro I/LO-222, I fixed the 9.5mt wire with 64:1 transformer on a 9.5mt telescopic pole in vertical configuration. I started to call with kx3 qrp in 20 cw and 10 cw. I managed one dx station on ten meter band AB4PP. in the middle of activation I passed in QRO with ft857d, atu yt-100 and 30watt but I realized that I had forgotten the cat cable. I had mini VNA with me, after some attempts of cutting and misuring swr, I was able to realize a resonant Efhw for 15mt. In this way I worked with my ft857 and 30watt, the supply was provide by 12V 5Ah AGM Pb cell and after lipo 3s 5,5Ah. with this set up I managed all dx qso in 15mt: 4 chasers K8LJG, KK4DF, W4JKC,K2JB and 3 s2s: AC1Z W1/NL-014, N2AIA W1/AM-300, WB2FUV W2/GC-020. I continued to call on 21Mhz until the darkness arrived, when my dx spots on rbn client ended I passed in QRT.

Thanks to All!!
73!!
Roberto iw2obx

12 Likes

Construction in the field! Now that is dedication. :grinning:

Following the event I have been giving a lot of thought to my antenna. Ever since the inception of the event in 2016, I have been using a dual band 20 / 17m vertical with 4 resonant (linked) radials, fed at around 2m above ground. Now the higher bands have come into play, I am thinking of constructing an antenna covering 20m through to 10m, preferably resonant on each band for maximum efficiency. I could add wires for the higher frequencies, but this adds a significant measure of complexity both in use and to the set up of the antenna on the pole.

I must admit that I am erring more towards a loaded design, something along the lines of the design of the Slidewinder antenna. Alternatively I could use a non-resonant antenna and rely on an ATU to do the matching. Either way, I am just wondering whether I will notice any difference. Some experimenting before next April seems to be on the cards. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hola,
Mr. Murphy visited me, the paddles key did not work properly and finally the wind forced me to abandon.
148 qso, 15 dx, 10 S2S, and 3 s2s dx @WB2FUV , @AC1Z & @K6ARK
A short video
73 José

11 Likes