Tokyo Ham Fair 2022

We are enjoying Tokyo Ham Fair.

Toru K JA1CTV

24 Likes

Greetings OMs. You certainly look like you are enjoying your time at the fair. Tell me, did you see any new rigs being promoted by the manufactures?

Cheers, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Thanks Toru for sharing.
That brings back great memories from my visits in 2017 and 2019. I recognize many familiar faces on the picture.
Great that you have a good time at the SOTA booth. And I hope you had a good meetup to celebrate afterwards too :beers:

3 Likes

Hi Geoff,

Big topics in new products

ICOM IC905, covering 144 to 5.6GHz (+10GHz as option)

Also from ICOM linear amp IC-PW2

From Yaesu FT-710

Kenwood announced TS990 will not discontinue

From Alinco DJ-X100 all digital mode receiver incl. D-star, C4FM

Toru K JA1CTV

6 Likes

Thanks Toru,
Did Yaesu give an expected retail price for the FT-710? With the FTDX101D covering the higher end and the FTDX10 covering the middle, I wonder if the FT-710 is the FT450D replacement?

The ICOM 905 is interesting with the two mast mounted units so that it covers 2.4 & 10GHz for the geostationary QO-100 satellite.

73 Ed.

Hi Ed,
Leaflet is saying 154,000JPY but will be in sale from retailer around 130,000JPY.
Yaesu developed AESS (Acoustic Enhanced Speaker Systems) and this price include external speaker.

Toru K JA1CTV

1 Like

Thanks Toru for that informative post. Good to hear that Kenwood will still continue production of the TS-990. I have a 990 and love it :+1:

Cheers, Geoff vk3sq

No full duplex capability - no QO-100.

Ahoi
Pom

That’s a shame, this would have been an obvious market for the transceiver.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Toru, that’s about US$950 where the FT450D used to be around $700 (but originally would have cost more) - so I think this is intended to become the low end of the Yaesu HF radio range. Like all new radios after a few years, the price could drop.

Time will tell whether the unique AESS audio feature sells this radio.

It’s nice that the manufacturers have created so many new models for us over the last few years!

73 Ed.

1 Like

That’s so you have to buy two :wink:

Brilliant marketing, isn’t it? :rofl:

Hi again Pom,
while I see the advantage of full-duplex to be able to hear that you are getting through the satellite (and not transmitting on someone else’s frequency) but as the satellite is not moving there will be no doppler shift so wouldn’t a correctly calibrated and stable simplex rig work with QO-100 - after all, we are only transmitting or receiving not transmitting and receiving at the same time when having an SSB, CW or FM QSO.
73 Ed.

1 Like

Stability can be a bit of an issue Ed on 13cms and 3cms. A lot of people use a satellite LNB for the downlink PLL units are better but sometimes you need a bit extra to keep the LNB on frequency.

I don’t know if it helps in this case but I believe ICOM have the transverter driver system locked to a GPS standard and also output a 10MHz version of this standard into the 10GHz transverter.

The main reason for full-duplex traffic is that you can hear LEILA in case you’re a signal too big with the satellite and stop your transmission instantly. This applies mainly to SSB, a mode that -unlike CW- doesn’t support full-BK. If you want to operate phone on QO-100 get used to hearing your own voice.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I suspect others will be asking as well “What (or who) is LEILA”?

LEIstungsLimit-Anzeige - Power limit indicator

Page 18

An alert which sounds on your transmit frequency if you exceed the maximum signal strength. QO-100 OPs know this.

Can you do a “who is who” of this photo? Would be nice to see if there are some familiar faces in it.

73 de Hans
BX2ABT

3 Likes

Hi Hans

Hope you can read by this.

___________________________JG0AWE
JS1UEH_JA8XUB_Miss.SOTA_JA1CTV_JG1BOK_JS1JNM_JI1IKC
_________________________________JM1NCT______JI3BAP_JG1GPY

Toru K JA1CTV

3 Likes