Tips for SOTA DX: 14.032 NOT good QRG and QRS better than QRQ

Hi Markus,
I’ll try to contact him by email.
Thanks.

Guru

Thanks for your feedback, Joe.
I understand the issue.
It’s also difficult coming up with recommended slots or frequencies given the variety of licenses and regulations applying to all different hams worldwide.

Guru

Using of QRP calling frequencies sometimes saved my activations when I was not able to self-spot myself.

I always find it a bit difficult to enter a specific frequency in the alert (perhaps it is currently occupied?) … and in cw it is not necessary at all, because you are spotted by the RBN.

Maybe it makes sense to enter the band if you can only be active on one band…

But I often found that the band I had noted (e.g. 20m) was not open at all… and other bands were much more interesting (e.g. 60m).

73 Armin

1 Like

Hi Armin,
That’s the reason why I’ve lately alerted several times for my activations indicating just HF-CW-SSB, so I can decide bands/modes on the very moment.

Guru

I guess its the old problem for any one who want to get on the air.
Its all very well and the right thing to do to Alert a frequency you may want to use the night before you head out and find it busy or being used once you set up on the summit.
My morning Propagation on 20m band is not as good or reliable as 17m I find, but I don’t have a very large population of other users here down under who might be in my capture areas. So the Self Spot once on the summit or RBN Spot works best for me on a frequency I have found to be clear once set up. Main thing for me is always working hard on the hike to make sure I arrive close to my Alert time so chasers don’t get sick of waiting for me to get on air. Does the Northern Hemisphere regions have agreed band plans in VK we tend to follow the band plans set out by WIA as to where we set up camp.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

2 Likes

Hi Joe

I know that from SWL times – in the 80ies, decades ago. The chirpy sound was fun for my ears, and I knew that others would not do SSB there. There is far too much other traffic below 14,300.

I prefer being above 14,300, mostly on 14,333. I don’t like 14,285 since it is frequently busy with non-portable stations. And I had learnt from Lars @SA4BLM recently to be above 14,330 to escape his local QRM, hi.

At least we all are successful in activating – there are many roads to Rome.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

3 Likes