Tick testing for Lyme Disease

Greetings all,

After a recent trip to South Scotland, I found a new friend (Mr Buttmuncher) attached to me when I got home. :spider: This was the day after my return, so post-showering etc.

Feeling slightly stressed about the fact I hadn’t found him whilst showering and obviously nervous about Lyme Disease following @OE6FEG Matt’s stories of earlier this year, I researched tick testing in the UK. I couldn’t find much on this reflector, hence posting here.

I identified the following laboratory as being capable (and not too expensive):

Biobest Laboratories Ltd
6 Charles Darwin House
The Edinburgh Technopole
Bush Estate, Penicuik
EH26 0PY, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 131 440 2628
Fax: +44 (0) 131 440 9587

www.biobest.co.uk

Having frozen my friend and sent him off via Royal Mail (which I checked is allowed), I was sent an invoice for just under ÂŁ50 inc VAT the next day. Following payment, the laboratory tested the tick and sent through the results within a week (5 working days).

My tick’s test result was negative for Lyme, fortunately! Ordinarily I wouldn’t be too stressed about testing a tick, as I usually find them straight after a walk. I felt that it was worth paying to test this one as it had been attached for a while and if I needed antibiotics, it would have been useful having a formal lab report to present to my Doctor over Zoom…

Anyway, feel free to add any other links/useful laboratories offering testing here - I hope this post will be useful to others. Or at least provide amusement :wink:

Simon

5 Likes

I used to work on the Bush Estate nearly 20 years ago. Being puerile and childish one of the temporary road signs there always made me smile.

It said “Dick Vet” with a left arrow and “Bush” with a right arrow. Having fought with the morning traffic around Edinburgh, this sign was something to lift my day. :slight_smile: Till I arrived in the office and found what horrors were waiting for me. :frowning:

2 Likes

What a very small world it is. Decades ago I went for a job interview at the Scottish Agricultural Engineering place which was also on Bush Estate, Penicuik. :slight_smile:

I didn’t get the job. :frowning:

(Enter pun about being ticked off here…) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it’s just a tick boxing exercise :rofl:

11 Likes