**THIS SATURDAY** - GW SOTA S2S PARTY - PICK YOUR SUMMITS :)

If they were using a venerable Liner 2 transceiver they’d be heard on 288, 432 and 576MHz as well. And many combinations of those frequencies as well :rofl:

2 Likes

I will be operating with my N.O.V. Callsign of GQ1JPV/M on Saturday now, as I have just downed the Paperwork from OFCOM. Just because I can I suppose, bit of fun if nowt else??

Tony

2 Likes

Just seen BBC Breakfast filming at the top of Pen-y-Fan. Surprised there wasn’t a fishing pole and a huddled activator in the background :wink:

1 Like

Mine went in the skip during the great Covid clearout of 2020.
(although I may still have the crystals for satellite frequencies).

1 Like

A TR-7010 is what I want for nostalgia reasons. Liner2: best place is in a museum or their components recycled :wink:

Good luck with your MG activation tomorrow, Ben & I hope the party goes well. I am up in GM land, so well out of range for 2m! If not out sightseeing etc tomorrow, I will set my hf gear, I might be lucky & catch someone.
73 John

1 Like

Thank you very much @G0MHF John - have a nice time in GM land, we may make the contact :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

I’ve traded some Brownie points for a day pass, and alerted for Arderin EI/IE-019 on 40m. Hope to work Ben and some of the other Welsh summits, but all other callers welcome too :o)

(I might try 5.354 MHz USB too - the 80/60/40 dipole can be fun if its windy, though. The 40/30/20 is more manageable!)
Adrian

1 Like

Hi @G4AZS Adrian, that’s great news. Fingers crossed 40m will be alive so we can make the qso :blush: have a nice activation!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Turned out I was wrong and my confidence was misplaced. I worked Peter MW0PJE/P on Maesglase GW/NW-029 for S2S from Walton Hill G/CE-002 with the handheld, but, surprisingly no others from the GW event.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise. The wx was hideous at times and maybe some activations were cancelled, and any that did take place sensibly cut very short!

Nonetheless, I made plenty of contacts from my two summits with just the HT & RD - but sadly hardly anything into the GW event. Pleased to see that it looked like a great turnout at Ben’s despite the weather, and I trust he received lots of praise and appreciation, in person, for his brilliant appearance on BBC Countryfile. That would be totally well deserved.

4 Likes

Also being out of region I had the same problem [despite J-pole on 5m pole]. I managed only 3 GW S2S’s. I listened to two in GW/MW for ages, e.g. Ben GW4BML, hearing strong chasers having fun! but activator QSB signals were 0/0 to 4/2 and - Sod’s Law - always mid QSO during the peak. But some were strong, Mark 2W0HXP/P and Shane GW6WBS/P.

3 Likes

Thanks for the S2S, I was pleasantly surprised with that one given the distance. I was on a 4 pointer but I think most others were on 1/2 pointers.
Propogation on 2 m was interesting yesterday with some short lived lifts, after exchanging reports and locations one distant chaser spookily faded out into the QSB.

He was signing autographs.

2 Likes

Aircraft scatter.

That would be consistent with the weak-signal GW activators I was trying / managed in one case to work. They were going above and below my HT’s squelch level with periods of about 20s to a minute or so, which according to Wikipedia is the duration expected with aircraft scatter. I would have needed to turn the squelch threshold to zero to be more certain.

1 Like

Sorry we didn’t manage a S2S Tom. Many of the mid-Wales hills remained largely dry for the morning of Ben’s activation. I had a run of 10 back to back 2m S2S contacts, only separated by a good old natter to Frank @MW0OFA, 9 S2S in Wales and one to Alex @EI4JY on EI/IE-012.
It did get rather rainy during the BBQ but there can be few people more able to make the best of foul weather than Welsh SOTA activators.

1 Like

Good to get a few GW S2S from GW/NW-053 and also worked @EI4JY
WX was OK up the hill, some cloud further out and around but stayed dry for me.
Cheers all.

2 Likes

Sadly I missed to make contact with you Tom @M1EYP, there was something in the way of our path! Pete had a good take off on Maesglase, but it was still a good contact for you both!

We’ll organise another maybe SW get together in GW land next year, so hope you’ll be able to make that.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Thank you very much for listening out Andy @G8CPZ, it was a pity the lift didn’t stay around enough to complete a qso. Never mind, definitely next time! I’ll be up in LD land September for your get together, so hope to meet up then if your there!

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Great to make the S2S contact John @M0VAZ - the hills were alive in MW :slight_smile:

73, GW4BML. Ben

3 Likes

Good to get S2S as well. I think that might have been my first GW/MW contacts

1 Like