Think It's Time To Retire The Osprey

After over 200 activations including some gruesome bushwacks, I think the time has come. Probably the time has even come and gone quite a while ago, but I grew attached to this old beast. Figuratively and literally. Not bad for a backpack that Cassie KG6MZR found in a dumpster. Anybody else like to get every last thread of use out of gear?

9 Likes

After:

6 Likes

You know they are returnable to osprey for free repair or replacement.

Tom, N2YTF

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Tom. Thatā€™s what the guy at REI said but I didnā€™t feel entitled as my wife did find it in a dumpster more than fairly well used. Now I have a legitimate version.

73 Eric KG6MZS

1 Like

I won one in a competition in Trail magazine around 2002 and have used it for years, one of the Aether series, I have since discovered that is a female version!

1 Like

I was looking for a new thin walking fleece today. Iā€™ve been using the current one for 9 years and itā€™s getting worn out. The style I wanted was only available as a womenā€™s fleece though it was black not some Barbie pink colour. The guy in the shop said theyā€™re a bit more tailored but see if it fits. It did apart from the sleeves were too short. I didnā€™t know women had shorter arms than men.

2 Likes

Windfalls are the best :wink:

@KG6MZS Hi Eric, I myself needed to update my poor Deuter rucksack this year. Itā€™s lasted me so well, but holes have began to appear :frowning: I wanted something light weight that I could use in the winter as well as the summer (which we donā€™t get a lot of in Wales!), so I decided to change brands and go for an Ospreyā€¦ I chose the below ā€˜Osprey Talon Pro 30ā€™ and have fallen in love with it already! It is so light weight, fits everything in that the 36L Deuter did, and it feels really comfortable on my back. Link below if anyone is in the market for a new one:

73, Ben
GW4BML

2 Likes

[Johnny Carson Voice] I did not know that. [/Johnny Carson Voice]

Explains why MZR is always asking me to reach stuff. Wider hips, narrower shoulders. Makes sense I guess

Nice Ben. The salesguy at REI said the Atmos had ā€œanti-gravityā€ suspension. Oh, were that really true!

Love to walk. Hate carrying a heavy backpack.

1 Like

Well, I have a simple single-compartment rucksack - no frame, all cloth - from Karrimor which I bought only 35 years ago, which I use on a daily basis for schlepping shopping and whatnot, or carrying birdwatching gear (heavy) or field sound recording gear (ditto), and which is already beginning to show signs of wear!

Iā€™ve been thinking of complaining to the store I bought it from, but Iā€™d need to take it in in person - and that requires a flight from Germany to the UK, and Iā€™m never stepping on a plane again as long as I live. Guess Iā€™ll just have to tote the rucksack around for another 35 years until it really wears outā€¦

2 Likes

100%! Love my Osprey packs. Mutant 38 is my main SOTA / scramble pack, and that thing has been thru the ringer and still going strong. I recently picked up a Hikelight 18L on a mega clearance sale for dirt cheap, and so far Iā€™m loving it. With the KH1 in there I hardly even notice Iā€™m wearing a backpack.

1 Like

I really abused that old Atmos Josh. I was bushwacking in some Los Padres National Forest where the chaparral got so dense I had to chuck my masts over the ceanothus like spears, crawl though underneath and drag my pack behind me ā€“ rinse and repeat. My brother says if you can get your face through, everything else will follow. :wink: Albeit a few lacerations along the way.

2 Likes

Yes, but are you sure itā€™s nothing to do with her being 6in shorter than you? :wink:

1 Like

Ben that is a Ā£210 rucksack. For that money Iā€™d want it to carry me up the hill!

1 Like

I had a look at where I got my replacement Deuter, outdoorsupply.co.uk ( etrias.nl ) and they have the Osprey Talon 33L for Ā£122 plus P&P. Iā€™m not sure what the difference is between a Talon 33 or Talon Pro 30 other than 3L capacity.

Donā€™t be so tight! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The Osprey Mutant looks like a great bag - really hugs in close to your body for scrambling. Iā€™m eyeing the 22L version as it would just be a day pack for me. So you have loved yours?

1 Like

100%. It has been a fantastic pack!

1 Like

Great, thank you!

1 Like