There will always be Hope

Quote: “Hope is not about everything turning out okay; it is about being okay no matter how things turn out.”

Usually the weekend can be relied upon to provide those avid SOTA chasers amongst us just what we love: loads of contacts on lots of different bands. I personally love it when I don’t know where to tune first and get a great sense of achievement when I have worked five or six stations using different bands and/or modes in as many minutes. Many are the times that I have had to check my scratch pad to find I have missed a couple out of the computer log in the panic. Today wasn’t to be one of those. It had its memorable moments but it was not as busy as most weekends have been recently. Surprising with it being a bank holiday on Monday, unless of course you looked out of the Window, or listened on HF. It had been pouring with rain all day; the lower HF bands were abysmal with the MUF at about 4mHz, when I looked and full of wall-to-wall contest stations. Mike GW0DSP and I were a bit bored so when he suggested we do a quick activation of his adopted summit (Hope Mountain - GW/NW-062)I agreed on the proviso that he did not laugh at my hat.

After a quick evening meal I donned my boots, Gortex jacket and Steve Erwin style Aussie prat hat, filled my pockets with a pad, a pencil and as many radios as I could carry and a little after 7pm BST Mike was outside my door. It was still raining and the roads seemed as slippery as an eel in a freshly greased Teflon coated frying pan, but the death wishers seemed out in force, overtaking on blind bends; no wonder undertaking is such a lucrative business. Hope is only about fifteen minutes away from Mike and I when driving with care and attention so having managed to avoid the idiot in 25 year old white Fiat that swerved passed us on two wheels and the rather nice Audi convertible which although just as badly driven managed to stick to the road due to its German engineering we where soon making our way to the activation area on the transmitter side of the summit.

Barry M3PXW had been in contact with us on route and did a sterling job of spotting, he was therefore the first in the log for both Mike and I. This was to be a flying visit and because of the horizontal ice-cold rain and equally cold wind, a handheld with rubber duck only activation. (I promise to do a proper one when the sun shines with beams and HF and 2m SSB). I had taken several rigs and antennas to see if any particular combination was more effective than the others. I started with my old recently repaired Standard C528 with its original antenna and it seemed a bit deaf so I changed it for a full ¼ wave rubber duck that was all the rage back in the FT-290 hay days. For a short while that seemed to beat the de-sensing from the transmitters when put at 45 degrees but not long. I then tried the more powerful with the larger battery Kenwood TH-G71 that has worked brilliantly on other summits but two faults emerged; the auto squelch function was to severe possibly due to the de-sensing and the interference was agonising. In the end Mike’s Yaesu FT-60 seemed to be the best of the bunch with the disadvantage of no external mike. I tend to hold the rig at arms length above my head to get the antenna as high as possible but I couldn’t do that with Mike’s radio.

In total eight stations were worked; on two metres FM both Mike and I worked M3PXW, GW1LDY, M3RNX and GW0WTT; I worked MW1MDH and 2E0NHM; Mike went to two metres SSB on the FT-817 to finally get through to 2E0HJD and then as we were packing up he worked my XYL GW7AAU who was fashionably late and said she could speak to me any time she liked.

Not the way I had imagined activating my most local summit, not the way I like to activate a summit and not the sort of weather I like to activate in but it blew the cobwebs away and gave me something to think about so that when I do it again I can hopefully do it properly. Preferably during a power cut so the transmitters up there are not a problem.

Advice on filters gratefully received.

Thanks to all stations who worked or listened for us.

Regards Steve GW7AAV & Mike GW0DSP
http://gw7aav.googlepages.com

In reply to GW7AAV:

Advice on filters gratefully received.

You’ll want something narrow band and hi-Q. You’ll also want a receiver that has adequate RF screening, probably not something that modern handhelds are good for.

Have you tried an old FT290 at this location? The narrower band frontend and metal case may be a big improvement over modern handies with their DC to daylight RF response

You can try measuring the frequencies on site (on see what you can find on the web for equipment located on site) and make coaxial stub notch filters for each VHF frequency. Possibly just a couple or three of notches will make a dramatic improvement but it will still require a suitably screened receiver.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/coaxfilter.html
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/swxfiltr/swxfiltr.htm

Also check out chapter 7 of the RSGB VHF/UHF manual 4th edition. There is an extensive section on 2m bandpass filters in there. Most require a bit of metal bashing but if your filter works, and you do a good job and take some photos you can get a nice article for RadCom out of it and make a few bob aswell!

http://users.easystreet.com/w7zoi/vhfbpf.html

There’s lot more info to be found on the web, Google is your friend.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Quote: “Raw head for a change”

Funny you should say that, Raw Head was my original target for yesterday afternoon, until we saw the rain. However it is only my 8th nearest summit and Hope is my nearest but I had never done it before.

Regards Steve GW7AAV
http://gw7aav.googlepages.com

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve, last night was very enjoyable in a sadistic sort of way, who could have predicted arctic conditions at the end of May? we wouldn’t have looked out of place in a North Sea survival suit, but that’s Hope Mountain for you, Iv’e seen the wx up there change like that fairly often.

Re: the break through problem, it varies dramatically from day to day and I have only suffered badly from it on 3 out of 15 activations, last night being one of them.
The best spot to avoid breakthrough, is up the footpath I pointed out to you, this is where Simon M1AVV activated from and it is well within the activation area, alternatively, operate from the farm side of the summit, keeping the trig between yourself and the two main masts.

I am surprised that nobody advised you to give cw a try, probably the most reliable mode under any circumstances :wink:

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW7AAV:
“Advice on filters gratefully received”

Distance is a great filter - try GM/ES-001; you won’t get the breakthrough there - hi!

Barry GM4TOE