The SOTA "Tastes" challenge for 2020

Now, I’ve always found it better to drink temperatures reflecting the seasons. Cool in Winter and warm in summer.
I know this runs counter to survival training, but we’re not is survival mode. That’s a completely different exercise. Cool liquid forces the body to heat the liquid, warm allows the body to reduce efforts.

Will Chasers be able to join in?

Hi John - please read the very first line of my original post:

A fun challenge is to drink the following while activating or chasing a SOTA summit

So yes - this is for Chasers as well as Activators.

In fact for the chasers the Beer, Wine and Sekt option can also be the alchoholic vareity (as long as not overdone).
73 Ed.

Beer makes a great chaser any day!!!

My favorite summit beverage is a cup of warm Good Earth Cinnamon Spice green tea from my thermos (700g) yes! but oh so worth it! …usually consumed with a SOTA “summit sandwich” made freshly that morning of the activation. …often honey smoke black forest ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, avocado slices, red onions, a dash of dark mustard and dill pickle on lightly toasted homemade sour dough! Heavenly tastes while chasers fill the air waves!

4 Likes

Another “challenge”!
Pubs In SummitS

:sunglasses::beer:

1 Like

Ahh, that would be POTA, Pubs on the Air.

In order to get a reasonable number qualifying the prominence rule would need changing. (only for POTA) to say 5 m to include those pubs with a fine view of the sea. :joy:

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Distance from the taps?

We many need to make some detailed measurements Ron!

2 Likes

Hi Compton,

Well if there wasn’t table service 25 m would seem a reasonable measure. I seem to recall it being used elsewhere. It would be uncouth to have to have your elbow on the bar at all times.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Already taken by Parks on the Air … https://pota.us/#/

Awww Tom,

You diverted my diversion. Shucks.

Ron
VK3AFW

POTA took me to Parks on the Air.

I did find: https://g0roc.co.uk/pubs-and-clubs-on-the-air-pacota-2019/

PACOTA. I wonder if I can get that with a side of chips!!!

I already know about Tx difficulties through concrete and brick walls, plus, we’re back to resonant wobbling.

KI7MMZ

EOTB?
(Elbows On The Bar)

1 Like

But the fun starts when Elbows take off the bars and get On The Air. How about EOTA?
Cheers,

Guru

2 Likes

How about The SOTA Tastings Challenge, Ed?

Jan: Highland Park vs Caol Ila
Feb: Smokehead vs Bunnahabhain
Mar: Ardbeg vs Bowmore
May: Oban vs Aberlour
Jun: Dalwhinnie vs Cardhu
Jul: The Dalmore vs Scapa
Oct: Knockando vs Auchentoshan
Nov: Lagavullin vs Laphroig
Dec: Talisker vs Jura

That’s SMOTA. :wink:

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Now you’re talking, Pom!

A little biased towards “peaty” drams. Need a couple more Speyside Malts to balance the test.
However, along with my partner in crime (Andy @MM0FMF), I am up for it.
Who’s paying :innocent:

August and September aren’t set yet. Feel free to add some nice summer Whiskies, Barry!:tumbler_glass:

Summer whiskeys? In Scotland the only difference between summer and winter is the summer rain isn’t quite so cold!

I’ve not tried Smokehead - I had to Google it! Oh the deprevation of being so far south of the border…

Hi Guru,

This is a serious problem. POTA is taken. HOTA, Hotels on the Air is unused I think as is TOTA, Taverns on the Air. My favourite is COTA, Cantinas on the Air. It encompasses everything from a tent where you can get some sustenance and refreshment to ye Grande Olde Hotel where anything you wish for is provided.

Ron
VK3AFW