The Road Trip

Your alert looks realistic then. I’ll have my ears pinned well back. :grinning:

1 Like

Fraser, I watch with great interest each of your reports. But this one was especially impressive. Wonderful landscapes, interesting story. For me, as an off-road enthusiast, I really liked your Dora. It would be great if its wheels knew our Ural expanses and forest roads forgotten by everyone. I hope such times will come…
I wish health and good luck to you and Mo.
Vlad

2 Likes

Blockquote[quote=“MM0EFI, post:16, topic:29287, full:true”]
Probably John, but I’m scared to see how much they cost and I’d probably need a crane to take it apart!
[/quote]

I can pop up and give you a hand…Plus you have a Harvey, some clever rigging and a tall tree I am sure we can soon extract it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great to work you again today Gerald. Different Land Rover today… 40m was tricky with static crashes, but glad we made a QSO.

Roasting hot weather this afternoon!

3 Likes

I’m a big softee. This is me on a WWFF site using a 6m Slim Jim. My vehicle has heating, hot water, oven, fridge, shower and toilet. The only extra I would like is self-levelling suspension so my wine glass doesn’t slide off the table but at £8K+ we will do without it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Stemless will sort that!

3 Likes

I’ve got into the knack of parking level by eye. If all else fails, I put a couple of rocks on on one side and drive up on to them.

The best thing with Dora is she can go anywhere at any time of the year.

The worst thing with Dora is the fuel economy…

3 Likes

We’ve become very tolerant over time of being on a slope. The only issue is if we are too nose down the sink struggles to drain so we have a pair of blocks to correct things. But wherever possible we just choose somewhere roughly level. I’ve slept on sailing yachts where the concept of level doesn’t exist and most sleeping problems can be solved with another dram or two. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just love the fact that it is a LandRover named Dora. What’s the other one named?

Either Diego, Swiper, Boots, Alicia, Tico or Backpack. :rofl:

I bet it’s Diego, but I like Backpack better.

2 Likes

Looks like a Henry to me.

Awesome job, and awesome photos! Looks like an amazing time! The land rover is awesome!

1 Like

The other one (1969 series IIa) is Mavis. We’ve also got Reggie…

3 Likes

I apologise to Mavis for mistaking her for a Henry. :slight_smile: love it…

1 Like

Yes, very noisy here as well, not helped by the locals all being sat in front of their 75 inch screens awaiting the Jubilee event, but with ears pinned well back I copied everything fine. Even copied you on the wider SSB filter which suited your voice better than the 2.1kHz one. Must be the breadth of the Scottish accent!. Great to get the Complete… the second in two days. :grinning:

1 Like

A short video of our Meall nan Tarmachan hike.

4 Likes

Well done to Mo. Neat idea of leaving the mast in the ruck sack.

1 Like

Cheers John. I have Ben @GW4BML to thank for that tip.

3 Likes

Yup, its certainly a good tip from Ben.

1 Like

Works great with the slim-g! I’m working on HF now, trying to find a quick way of activating that’s not too noticeable. You can notice my 24m dipole from quite far away :rofl: maybe try working vertical with a small tuner sat in my bag :person_shrugging:

2 Likes