The Middle of Nowhere

Is Gerry still around. I was thinking the band’s name the Pacemakers might have a new meaning now.

Now I’ve got Ferry cross the Mersey in my brain and can’t shake it out.

Great video. I’ve done a bus tour through some parts of Arizona and Utah but they didn’t let us out long enough to get into any trouble.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

Hi Andrew, Gerry Marsden is a SK, died January 03, 2021 age 78.

Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

and

2 Likes

Thanks Andy, I should have just gone to that topic and searched!

I’m old enough to have seen Ferry Cross the Mersey at my local movie theater when it first came out. It was double billed with the Beatles Help!. I just discovered that both bands were managed by Brian Epstein and both engineered by George Martin.

The song Ferry Cross the Mersey evoked that same poignant melancholic feeling of the Kinks Waterloo Sunset. Ah, songs of my youth.

Eric
KG6MZS

1 Like

Eric,

I see your Waterloo Sunset and raise you one Lazing on a Sunny afternoon. Now its in my head, it may as well be in yours too. :wink:

But thanks, actually.

1 Like

Kink’s best 60s song is Sittin’ On My Sofa. Available on Youtube…

2 Likes

Wow Eric, what a great video. We love the remote West and exploring old ghost towns and mining areas. We spend a lot of time in DM08 and have had a 4x4 since 1991. This is our 40th year here and we still discover new places to explore, especially since adding SOTA to the activities. That is an awesome picture of the station wagon and gang. We used to get hauled around in a pink Rambler station wagon. Annual trips to New Jersey, Route 66 most of the way, all 6 of us, no motels, 4 days each way. My brother and I got the back-back because we were the youngest. Pee in a coffee can so we wouldn’t have to stop… I think we use to leave on a Tuesday or Wednesday so we would get there for Saturday night bath night! (I’m sure we needed it) Awesome video, very inspiring!

1 Like

Ron, what a great story! We never did the transcontinental run but we did do a lot of national parks in the west. Glacier National Park was my favorite. My Dad built a car camping roof rack box and we would do 3 nights camping, one night in a motel. I loved it.

BTW I just learned that John Steinbeck called Route 66 “The Motel Road.”

Thanks for the flowers,
Eric KG6MZS

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience. Excellent choice of music.

1 Like