The Longest Walk-in?

I was checking out the distances to walk to some of the Scottish summits (my climbing club has a few meets in GM in ‘09) and it occurred to me to see what the longest walk in was given in Ralph Storer for a summit also listed for SOTA. Unsurprisingly, it turned out to be A’ Mhaighdhean, GM/NS-013 (pronounced something like A Vaa-ijan) with a round walk of 43 km. Anybody know of a longer one?

Real fitness being a receding memory for me, I won’t be venturing into the Great Wilderness anytime soon, but I will be in the queue to chase anyone who does!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Now the problem with Fisherfield Forest is that someone turned the scenary all the way up to 11. Or 12 possibly! Anyway, if you can get someone to take you over across Loch Maree to Letterewe by boat it’s only 13km. The path on the 1:50000 leads into the coire between Ruadh Stac Mor and A’Mhaigdean, but the map shows scree, crags and rather too many brown contour lines for someone with a waist the size of mine!

I’ve put a 3d view of the route from Letterewe to A’Mhaigdean at http://www.moosedata.com/ns-013.jpg

Andy
MM0FMF

The Cheviot G/SB-001. A walk-in of around 260 miles when we did it.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thats a nice map, Andy, and I certainly don’t fancy Ruadh Stac Mor, but there is less scrambling than you might think on A’ Mhaighdean as the path threads its way through the crags. I must admit I never thought of a boat across Loch Maree, but I’ve never seen that loch without a nasty chop on it!

Brian G8ADD

PS:On a scale of 11 for Fisherfield Forest, what would you give the Black Coulin?

In reply to G8ADD:
Not sure on anyone else but i think the longest walkin, In England could be NP-001 Cross Fell from Dufton on the pennine way. Or you could do SP-001 Kinder Scout, up over Williams Clough and back to Hayfield 8 miles in total,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to G8ADD:

out to be A’ Mhaighdhean, GM/NS-013 (pronounced something like A
Vaa-ijan) with a round walk of 43 km. Anybody know of a longer one?

In OH Halti/Ritnichohkka is about 50 km one way. There is also a chilly river to cross. Never done it myself. Close to Ruka there is Riisitunturi OH/KU-008, but the outdoor map gives 5 hours hiking time one way. With the 3 hours of sun I will not go there tomorrow. There is a fell hut next to the Riisitunturi, so it would probably still be a feasible hiking destination also in winter.

Real fitness being a receding memory for me, I won’t be venturing into
the Great Wilderness anytime soon, but I will be in the queue to chase
anyone who does!

I am interested but have been doing only easy summits so far. However in spring the days get fast longer, so maybe then.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to OH7BF:

I have to correct after reading the map again. I mixed up the distance in km and hiking time. I could have done OH/KU-008 today, but should have already started the skiing in day light. Should have planned that already earlier.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL