The Lakes

Hi all,

Me and my family will spent a week in Ambleside in the Lake District from 9 till 15 august.

I will take my equipment with me and hope to activate a few summits depending on the weather and family commitments. It is after all a family holiday.

Are there any summits in the WAB square NY40 that are also valid for SOTA? I thought Stony Cove Pike was but apparently it lies just in NY41.

Any help would be appreciated.

de Peter, ON3WAB/M6ONL

In reply to ON3WAB:
G/LD-039 Baystones - only 1 point but is in the square.
You could also activate Stoney Cove Pike from NY40 whilst still in the activation zone.

Hi Peter,

Hope you and your family enjoy your holiday in the lake district. Baystones G/LD-039 I would recomend you activate it is a nice easy short walk and apparently it is in the NY40 square.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to ON3WAB:
Stoney Cove Pike activation area enters NY40 Peter - take a GPS with you :wink:
Baystones G/LD-039 is in NY40 as is Tarn Crag G/LD-026

Roger G4OWG

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Whats a GPS Roger? :o)

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
A little sat nav for walking :slight_smile:
Tells you which WAB square you are in as well !

Roger G4OWG

mmm, that might come in handy :o).

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Whats a GPS Roger? :o)

cheapest price £99-00, different one’s,

garmins seem to be the best in my eye’s,

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

I purchased a Garmin GPS60 with cable and Maps all in about £150. This is great as I can plot route on computer and transfer to GPS via USB and print out a route card. Although ok I suggest you try to buy better GPS if possible as there are more upto date models available.

Regards

Brian M0OYG

Thanks for the reply and info, everyone.

Peter

All packed and set to go.

Weather looks better than the last few weeks.

Hope to do a first and easy activation monday 10th: Baystones: G/LD-039. NY40 for WAB.

Look for this QRP please :o)

Peter

In reply to G4BLH:
On the WAB site it is Monday 10th :slight_smile:
I’m working but may be able to get home in time as the Cricket doesn’t look like it will last until Monday. (My route is through Headingly).

Roger G4OWG

It is monday 10th sri :slight_smile:

Wish I could stay longer than saturday 15th but have to work agn the 17th so no can do :(.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hi Peter

For some reason your name is appearing as Stuart under M6ONL on the alerts.
I’m working tomorrow in Leeds until 10:30z but hope to be home to catch you in NY40 (worked it on 2m but not HF).

73 Roger G4OWG

Hi all, did Baystones yesterday but was only a short activation.Will try Stony cove pike from NY40 wab activation zone tomorrow wednesday. Cannot give an eta but it will be earlier then yesterday.

We had to run from Baystones because of the bad weather.

Hope to catch you tomorrow.

Old man of Coniston is forseen for Friday

P.s. I am at the postoffice at Ambleside, no internet at the B&B sorry.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hi Peter

Why didn’t you answer on 40m this afternoon ??
73 Mich on8dm

Hi all,

Thanks for all for coming back to my calls today from Stoney Cove Pike.

As they predict bad weather for Friday, Old Man of Coningston will be tackeld most likely tomorrow.

Eta probably around the same time.

To Mitch: sorry if I did not come back to you. I have not heard you calling. after the pile-up I called about 3 times: “last calls” Then no one came back so I presumed no one wanted a contact anymore. Sorry If I missed you. I did not want to stay any longer than needed because it is a long way down and we are not familier with the “Lakes weather”

I did work 4 or 5 ON stations today though.

Peter

On the spotspage the name mentioned under M6ONL/p is Stuart. This must be an error in the sota database. I am the only holder of M6ONL callsign.

Can anyone corrrect this?

Thank you

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hi Peter

No error I’m afraid, someone else called Stuart already registered using that callsign for some reason. The anomaly has been noted and will be dealt with so you can register your call.

Have fun in The Lakes… I envy you.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hi Peter

There have been quite a few instances where OFCOM have issued the same call in error.
I believe there were three M3RAE - one lived locally and now is an M6???.

May be worth checking.

Roger G4OWG