The Glen Ey Munros GM/CS-014 & GM/CS-036

Two new Munros and my first foray into “CS” since lockdown easing

I’d been eyeing the remote Glen Ey Munros up since I moved to the area five years ago. Beinn Lutharn Mor and Carn Bhac are a 20 mile (32km) day out, starting up the estate track that leads south from the hamlet of Inverey, a few miles of west of Braemar.

Here’s my video guide to the hills:

10am (BST) Sunday saw me at the car park. I’d gone for a later start as I wanted to time my first summit to be later than 1200UTC, the end of the big Italian association 24 hour contest - hoping for quiet bands. However, this meant I was to miss the forecasted clear morning and risk afternoon snow showers and cloud over the tops.

The six mile cycle up the estate track was surprisingly simple. An in initial climb led to flat houghs (meadows) on a decent track, that would be suitable for almost any bike with decent tyres. Oh, and it started snowing heavily as soon as I left the car. By the time I was half way up, everything was white and visibility was right down.

I cycled a few hundred metres past the ruin of Altanour Lodge and ditched the bike at the fork which was between my outward and hopefully return loops. At this point, I was heavily pessimistic that I would activate anything, as my radio really doesn’t like wet snow and I couldn’t even see the first hill.

The left fork led over rough path and boggy ground, gently climbing up to the steep NE ridge of Beinn Lutharn Bheag. Surprisingly the snow stopped and the clouds started to quickly clear.

The initial ascent was brutally steep and little or no path, so up the heathery and stony slope I plodded. This eventually eased off and the long gently sloped summit ridge stretched out in front of me. After passing an unmarked top with a cairn (which would mark the divergence on my return from the summit), I could see the impressive snowy summit of Beinn Lutharn Mhor, still over 1km distant.

The summit was soon gained. I’d brought a new monoband 20m aerial to try. Imagine the letter L, with the lower leg being the counterpoise, sitting about a metre off the ground. Both legs being the same length - 21’ or 6.4m. The end of the counterpoise was held up via a 1m guy line attached between it and a walking pole, with the walking pole guyed down to the ground with two further lines, everything in a bit of tension. It has been erected at home to check the SWR across the band, but was otherwise untested.

I’d actually arrived at the summit about 30 minutes early, so took time with this first erection of the aerial and grabbed some lunch. By 1145UTC I was bored/getting cold, so tuned up to 14.325Mhz and went to spot myself, except I couldn’t. (I read the thread about the DB issues on my return.) Thankfully I was soon noticed and I quickly worked half a dozen stations, with EA1EOK being the best DX, but a bit of a struggle, with S5 QRN at times.

Conscious that I still had a long way to go, with worsening weather forecast, I called it a day at 1200UTC and packed everything up. Just as I was walking away, I heard a CQ SOTA call come over 2m 145.500FM on my Yaesu FT-3d. Five minutes later and I’d worked three stations who had activated The Cheviot G/SB-001 - one of them on a hand held at their end, so 5w HT summit to summit over a distance of about 113 miles, 180km. That brought a large smile to my face, as I never hear anyone on 2m FM up in the hills around these parts. I didn’t record anything on paper, but hoped that the radios’ audio recording would be good enough for me to decipher on my return.

I returned to the aforementioned cairn and swung around north to descent steep slopes, with fresh spring snow over the top of old snow pack. I’d expected this bit to be dodgy and it was.

The next 3km was over pathless peat hags, which were thankfully mainly dry, but still took time to work a route through. Eventually this led to a gradual rise up the south flank of the ridge that would lead me up to Carn Bhac. Care needed, as still some peat hags, with man eating holes in places. The increasingly impressive views south west over to the Atholl hills was the only highlight here.

The summit ridge was gained and an easy plod took me over to the flat rocky top of Carn Bhac, with increasing wind and dropping temperatures. I could see snow flurries around some of the higher Cairngorm peaks to the north, but so far, nothing near me.

I had packed the 20m/40m linked dipole, and elected to put this up. I wanted a bit of comparison with the vertical on 20m (unscientific) and also I knew I could erect it quicker.

Memory tells me that I managed to spot myself this time (40m first) and I soon had stations lined up. I worked half a dozen stations on 7.1275 on an increasingly busy band, with QRM, QSB everywhere. So much for my strategy of activating after the contest, hoping everyone would be asleep!

Great to get the usual brilliant chasers in the log - Don G0RQL, who always has a brilliant signal, and Manuel EA2DT, who was a real struggle this time. Henning LA3NGA, answered and it turned out he was on LA/TM-001, so another S2S in the bag.

If you watch the video, you’ll note that my operating standards go from mediocre to poor by the end of the seven QSO’s! It was getting cooler and my brain/mouth parts were starting to freeze up, so I abandoned plans to switch to 20m and packed it in for the day.

There is a descent path from the summit, but finding the start of it from the stony curved plateau proved impossible. However, easy ground soon led me off the summit and I picked up the path further down.

The next few km were gently undulating, boggy in places, but there was a sort of path to follow. This eventually led me back to the bike and you’ll notice from the photos that pretty much all of the mornings snow had disappeared as the day went on.

30 minutes later and I was back at my Land Rover, having completed the trip in seven hours, which isn’t bad considering there was about 45 minutes of summit time at the first top and 35 minutes at the second top.

Kit carried:
Yaesu FT-857d
Inverted V - 40m & 20m linked di-pole
20m vertical wire aerial
coax with common mode choke for the vertical
LiFePO4 4s battery
7m sections of a 10m fishing pole
guy ring and three guys for the pole
3 guys for the counterpoise of the 20m vertical
waterproof pad and pencil for logging

As for personal gear, I’d correctly assessed the expected ground conditions, knowing that the north face of the first top would be the only issue with snow I’d likely face. It could be detoured if necessary, so I got away with three season boots, walking poles plus full winter clothing and a spare top in the bag, which I didn’t need. The ice axe stayed at home. I also carried a first aid kit, portable survival shelter (bothy) as well as the usual map, gps, compass etc.

Fail of the day was only half filling my old Sigg water bottle and then failing to find running water until the hike was nearly over!

13 Likes

You’re fair knocking them out, in these tough conditions too, great work!

I’m still working to find my feet on longer walks - I did some nav as a teenager 20 years ago, but I’m well out of practise, and it shows! How’re you planning and then following routes? Dedicated GPS with map&compass backup as your carry kit suggests?

1 Like

Cheers!
I’m an experienced climber and backpacker and inexperienced SOTA activator. Luckily, I live in a great SOTA area and haven’t climbed anything outside of Deeside or Strathdon since October last year.

As for navigation:
I’m lazy so use Memory Map OS 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps on my android phone.
This is backed up by a “real” garmin gps60csx (with maps), which is quite old now, but does the job.
This is further backed up with compass and paper OS map in a ortlieb map case.

I downloaded walkhighlands .gpx trail onto my phone for this hike but didn’t follow it to the letter.

1 Like

Thanks for doing these… there’s a recent visitor who’s brains I can pick now.

Getting to Altanour Lodge by bike then walking in is how I’ve planned to do these two for a while now. I couldn’t do both in a day though. Well if it was a matter of life or death yes, but I’m not fit enough to do both and enjoy them. Not helped by Old Father Time keeping the clock moving forwards either! But camping at Altanour over night is possible and do one one day and the other next day. If I’m doing plenty of exercise (2 remote Munros and a bike ride) I can skip a load of the diabetic drugs for one day which minimises a lot of the extra faffle of staying away from home.

I was investigating getting a retractable tow bar for my car…I’ll need a second mortgage and sell my kidneys if I go with a dealer original electrical retractable model and I still need to by a tow ball mounted carrier. So off to look at roof mounts for cycle carriers as they will only cost me a single kidney !

1 Like

I spotted some decent flat grassy spots on my way back down from Carn Bhac, just a few hundred metres west of the old lodge.

Hopefully the video illustrates that the cycle in isn’t too fierce and that the ascent of Beinn Lutharn Mhor is!

Many thanks for the excellent report Fraser. You do have some lovely hills close by. The pessimist in me (which only rears its head when planning an outing) would have err’d on the side of 4 season boots, but that’s just me. :grinning:

I came to that conclusion as well when looking at this group of mountains, but my trip would be an extra 2 hours each way coming up from Northumberland. Definitely an area where it would be best to find suitable accommodation not too far away. Carrying kit on the bike that I currently own to facilitate an overnight stay would probably be too much. All round, a difficult set of issues to resolve to make an outing viable. :frowning_face:

1 Like

If you are staying in area then just do the ride in twice. Or do one only and some other summits the following days whilst staying in area. There were loads of places to stay before Covid, I would expect everywhere that is open to booked solid now and prices may make by OEM towbar option look cheap :slight_smile:

Staying Braemar/Ballater area gives you Creag Bhalg, Carn na Drochade (excellent), Meall Alvie, Gealaig Hill, Morrone, Creag nan Gabhar, Craigendaroch and Coyles of Muick which are all easy half day summits. That may make a 2-3 day trip more viable for you. And I can ensure I’m in 2m range for the completes! Go on, you know you want to :slight_smile:

They’re Meindl Bhutans and I’d say they’re 3.5 season boots.:wink:

If I was out this weekend, it would be back to the old scarpa mantas, ice axe & crampons. SAIS are actually issuing avalanche forecasts for the weekend due to recent heavy snowfall.

Shame I’m working all weekend…

1 Like

On my 3rd pair now. I wear them all year and have Kahtoola flexible crampons that fit and stay fitted but no front pointing with that setup. More for walking only. I don’t do anything “exhilarating” by choice that needs 12 point crampons and a pair of technical ice axes!

I noticed that our friends in the Middle Kingdom are now selling cheap (and I mean cheap) crampons on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203146551398

A that price it’s almost worth a punt to see if they are any good. Or usable even. I think my Kahtoola crampon bag cost more than those 10points!

1 Like

Wow! I’ll stick with my 29 year old stubai 12 pointers with French bindings, thanks. I also have Grivel Rambos, but no boots to suit, nor the inclination to use them to their full capabilities these days…

My first pair of Bhutans. They are an awesome boot. Worth every penny.

Is nothing sacred! I seem to recall paying around the ton for my G10s. :frowning_face:

I bought my 1st pair of Meindl Bhutans in 2008 and the Goretex went and a Vibram sole delaminated in about 2016. I had already started breaking a replacement pair in 2014. Being a diabetic I have to take extra care over my feet so it’s worth the expense of breaking a second pair of boots in early and having a choice available. I started another pair when the first failed. I simply alternate between boots on a 2 walks in the older pair 1 walk in the new and keep them cleaned and waxed enough but not too often.

I got the sole reglued on the originals and they became bad weather dog walking boots. They were waterproof enough for an hour or two with the dog but not a day in the hills. It came off the other week, got it glued and then failed shortly, the bit it gets glued to seems to be breaking up. I’ve scrapped them and consider I have had my money’s worth.

I’ve spent an indecent amount on boots but I’m a lardy bloke so they get a beating and whilst all of us only ever get one pair of feet, it only needs a small amount of foot abuse, a blister etc. that can lead to serious problems for diabetics that could end my hill walking or worse lead to amputation etc. In which case it’s money well spent.

Not sure if you have ever tried them but I found some North Face Hedgehog GoreTex trainers for only £54 not the £140 list and bought them. Stunningly comfortable, waterproof with great grip as they have a Vibrams sole. Ideal when you need something more than an ordinary trainer but need less than a boot. I’d like to try a mid-height boot version but they are so expensive. I’m not sure of anything that comes close in performance but doesn’t make your wallet cry. I dislike paying so much because it does seem a lot of the cost is because they are a Tier 1 brand.

I can’t do trainers in the hills. I broke my ankle when I was six years old, then badly sprained it when I was 15. I need supportive boots and poles as there’s still a weakness there.

My step-son is type 1 and I’ve worked with a few type 1 diabetics over the years. It’s not just about blood sugar levels. There are many side effects that I guess a lot of folk are unaware of. As you say, you certainly need to take care of your feet!

2 Likes